Who owns the assets at a MacDonald Resort

Offline 56johnmc

« on: May 27, 2009, 12:35:07 »
I own at Loch Rannoch where we removed Macdonald as the management company a few years ago. Macdonald responded by preventing the owners from using the leisure facilities.

The issue I have had with this is over the ownership of the assets such as pools, tennis courts etc. An owner at Loch Rannoch has told me that such assets never belonged to the timeshare owners but belong to the original developer, Multi Ownership and Hotels. Apparently this is the situation at all Macdonald managed resorts.

Can any owners at other Macdonald resorts shed any light on the ownership of assets such as pools, etc.

What is your understanding of the situation at your timeshare?

Do you have any documents detailing the assets owned by you as a timeshare owner?

And if the owners do not own the leisure facilities should they be forced to pay for assets they do not own or should they be able to opt out or have the right to be charged on a pay as you go basis?

I will be interested to hear from other owners at Macdonald managed resorts or from owners at non Macdonald timeshares
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:36:58 by j.mcfarlane »

Val

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 20:07:58 »
We owned at Loch Rannoch many years ago and went from Barretts to Macdonalds and then the current management comp;any. The assets were always owned by the the holding company eg Barretts and then Macdonalds. We no loger have any documents as wesold some years ago and destroyed all docs some time after.

There used to be loads of info on the owners section of the Loch Rannoch Timeshare site and it did have a forum area from recollection.

keever

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:50:38 »
I think the situation at Loch Rannoch is quite unique but I will give you my thoughts as a MacDonalds owner

As far as I am aware and have always believed, The Assets and site are owned by the company that purchased them.  I have always thought the term "timeshare OWNER" was mis-leading as all we actually "OWN" is the OPTION to stay in an apartment/villa on the site for a specified length of time and use the facilities, IF YOU SO WISH, or transfer our option to one of the various exchange schemes that exist around the globe.

I think it would be simply impossible to split fees between who uses the gym and who uses the pool, or who uses the sounloungers and who lays on a towel. where do you stop ?? Family A uses stairs but Family B uses the lift so bill family B more as it costs more to maintain.

No, there has to be a sensible billing eqaution to the OVERALL site and facilities.  If you have any thoughts on how it can be done then I would love to hear them.

The facilities are there for ALL to use, if you choose not to use them then so be it.

I (nor my family) have ever used the gym or tennis courts  at any of the Macdonald resorts I own at, or have visited. That is my choice, but i certainly wouldn't think someone who chooses to work out everyday should pay more.

I'll just watch them sweat whilst I have another beer  :-)))

I am not forced to pay for assets, I pay (willingly) for the upkeep of a site where I know my family and friends will be safe and comfortable.  If, in the future I ever choose to use the facilities at the resort then I can do so in the knowledge that they have been maintained properly.

These are only my thoughts and or based on my situation and the resorts where I own in Spain.  I cannot comment on the situation at Loch Rannoch, as the only knowledge I have is from the information I have read on this site and others.

Regards

Scott

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:14:53 »
In the US, all of my resorts have deeded ownership.  All owners are exactly that.  We own an undivided interest in the real estate and all improvements (buildings) in perpetuity in a fractional share together with a right to occupy one designated unit during one designated week each year.  Owners are members of a homeowners association which is organized as a non-profit corporation to manage the timeshare, and members vote in an annual meeting once a year to elect directors.

In my resorts in South Africa, it is a shareblock system, where we own a share of stock in the timeshare shareblock which then owns all of the facilities. Owners vote their shares at annual meetings and if the resort is sold by vote of the shareholders the owners will receive a pro rata share of the proceeds.  Each share carries a designation of what size unit one owns in a floating week.

In my resort in the Netherlands, it is organized as a cooperative.  The cooperative owns the physical facilities.  Cooperative members meet once a year to elect directors of the cooperative which then manages the timeshare.  The cooperative has voted to close and sell the timeshare, and the sale proceeds will be divided among the members of the cooperative.

The prevailing ownership structure in the UK seems to me to over the least protection for owners of any ownership system I have seen.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:17:51 by Carolinian »

Offline 56johnmc

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 11:57:11 »
Can I offer my thanks to those who have responded so far. I am very grateful for your input.

If anyone else would like to provide information or a point of view please feel free to post a reply.

Many thanks

John
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:58:00 by j.mcfarlane »

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 13:22:39 »
I would add that I have also owned at a resort in Australia, where they also had a shareblock system similar to South Africa, but I am aware that some Australian resorts are also deeded like in the US.