TATOC Questions

Started by hal540uk, July 25, 2009, 17:18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

hal540uk

Hi Tony c
Your missive made very interesting reading and gave a glimpse of your understanding of timeshare.
The comments on TATOC (yuk) and the jokes with reference to me and Roger did have the desired effect. They made me laugh, as I am sure that was your intention, so you achieved your goal. Well done.
Many thanks for mentioning the TATOC website and I urge as many members as possible to visit.
We are averaging 600 enquires a month mainly about scams and last year managed to recover over one million pounds  for timeshare owners, the record repayment  was  £16,000 to a lady who had been scammed. Our enquiries come from people searching the web for help, trading standard offices, police forces, citizen's advice offices, consumer help lines and solicitors.
Referrals also come from the OFT, DTI, Citizens Advice and other government agencies.
Again many thanks for mentioning TATOC and the friendly banter concerning me and Roger.
Best Wishes
Harry Taylor
From a very hot Sunset Bay
Time and tide waits for no man

hal540uk

resilamram

quote:
Originally posted by daviddwells

Are not all the things that are "not included" in second hand points, those things that are paid for by the fixed portion of the maintenance fees? If so, we should all have the same rights, as we all pay the same annual fee!

Exactly right,davidwells, it matters not in the slightest how much the present owner paid for the points in question, the fact is originally the full price WAS paid for them and therefore the FULL value of them should be passed on to the present owner as they have to pay the FULL management fee!
Tonyc, your criticism was that no solution was offered, where here's one......revert ALL points in question to their FULL value....how simple is that ?

Mavo

quote:
Originally posted by hal540uk

Hi Tony c
Your missive made very interesting reading and gave a glimpse of your understanding of timeshare.
The comments on TATOC (yuk) and the jokes with reference to me and Roger did have the desired effect. They made me laugh, as I am sure that was your intention, so you achieved your goal. Well done.
Many thanks for mentioning the TATOC website and I urge as many members as possible to visit.
We are averaging 600 enquires a month mainly about scams and last year managed to recover over one million pounds  for timeshare owners, the record repayment  was  £16,000 to a lady who had been scammed. Our enquiries come from people searching the web for help, trading standard offices, police forces, citizen's advice offices, consumer help lines and solicitors.
Referrals also come from the OFT, DTI, Citizens Advice and other government agencies.
Again many thanks for mentioning TATOC and the friendly banter concerning me and Roger.
Best Wishes
Harry Taylor
From a very hot Sunset Bay

Hi Harry.
Good to see you post.
It is a long time since our chat at the AGM in Leeds.
I still remember the promise you made to me regarding this site.

I am a director of The Citizens Advice Bureaux in 5 towns in my district.
I meet our volunteers on a regular basis through being involved in the health and safety task group and I have mentioned TATOC on a number of occasions but nobody is aware of the organisation of TATOC or it`s capabilities.
Perhaps your officers are not doing a complete enough job of publicising your organisation.
The TATOC forum is still here and at your disposal to post on as you see fit.
I will once more pass on your details to the chief officer of the Bureaux I am involved with.
Best regards Tom

tonyc

Harry Taylor, CEO of TATOC & DRI Member Director.

Thank you for your communication.  I am very privileged that you appear to be breaking one of your fundamental rules and deal with a mere member on an open forum (scrape, scrape, grovel, grovel - is that enough?).

I am very pleased that my posting had the desired effect and made you laugh.  It is so pleasing to be able to return the compliment.  After all, your performance as our Member Director over these last two years has had me rolling around with fits of laughter.  And as for advertising the Timeshare Association for Timeshare Owners' Committees or the Timeshare Association as you now prefer to be called.  Equally, I am thrilled to be able to "advertise" the organisation.  After all, TATOC basically enjoys total anonymity within the world of the average timeshare owner.  Very few timeshare consumers you talk to have ever heard of you, let alone know what your aims and objectives are.  Indeed, I am not sure that even I have quoted your full title correctly.  No doubt, you will correct me if I am wrong. So, in all seriousness, I suggest that now is not the time for back-slapping or sitting on your laurels.  you need all the publicity you can get and, as they say, bad publicity is better than none.

You are correct in your assumption - I have very little understanding of timeshare and that is why I am only too happy to let the experts advise me.  But then, in your case, you are not actually prepared to advise.  You prefer to treat the mebership to your brand of mushrooming.  Perhaps, if the public knew a bit more about the strange world of timeshare, a lot less people would now be complaining about having been "sold a pup".  Perhaps if you looked more closely at TATOC's objectives and, since it is now celebrating its 20th anniversary, have applied yourselves to achieving those aims a bit more readily there would be less dissatisfied members within our community.

I am still mystified how I have achieved the honour of an open letter from you.  I am so deeply honoured.  In case people don't know, a couple of months back both Doggy50k and I asked Harry some questions on another forum (now, sadly, no more).  Harry refused to answer them, stating that he was not prepared to discuss things on an open forum.  If we wanted answers, we should approach him through the medium of private emails.  Strange that - if you look on the official DRI forum there is a section called "Ask the Member Directors" where you are invited to pass comments or questions for answer by Harry Taylor and Mark Harris.  I wonder what is the point of DRI opening such a section when you refuse to answer questions posed to you on open forum.  Can someone else explain that please?  It is no good me asking Harry a question on open forum!

Furthermore, on that other forum (the now deceased one) in answer to Frank Burke you stated that you did not deal with members' questions on open forum and, indeed, restricted yourself to only passing on DRI details that you thought important to the membership through the medium of the DRI Official forum and both of Tony Pearce's forums.  Quite an interesting comment to make in open forum (not one of the chosen few) at about the same time that Patrick Duffy was going on here maintaining that no-one associated with DRI gave any preferential treatment to Tony Pearce's forums.  You are, of course, as a Member Director, a non-executive director of DRI.  Does that not make you "associated with DRI"?   It really did not do poor Patrick's argument much good!  nonetheless, I was in "defence of Patrick" mode then so I wasn't likely to rock the boat.

Now, is it too much to hope that you might be prepared to answer some questions on TATOC?  I don't want to drag you away from the pool for too long, so I will keep the questions to as basic as possible.  What I really mean is that I am basically as thick as **** and, therefore, any involved will go way above my head.

(1) Is it true that TATOC was formed in 1989 and is the only elected consumer association representing the interests of timeshare owners in Europe?

(2) Is it true that your Mission Statement states that "TATOC exists to safeguard and enhance the timeshare holiday experience for existing and prospective users and to be the voice of owners"?

(3) Is it true that your aims and objectives include "becoming the recognised voice of timeshare owners in Europe"?

(4) Is it also true that your aims and objectives include "challenging and discouraging bad practice"?

(5) Is it true that your aims and objectives include "acting as an encourager and facilitator for positive change for the timeshare inductry"?

(6) Is it true that your aims and objectives include "lobbying and campaigning on matters related to timeshare and timeshare owners through liaison with trade industry bodies and government departments"?      

(7)  Is it true that you have a number of companies such as Diamond Resorts International, RCI, Club La Costa, dialanexchange.com and Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket are "Platinum Affiliates"?

(8) Is it true that some of your facilities are funded by these Platinum Affiliates?

(9) Is it true that your members' resorts are located across Europe and that that gives TATOC access to over 250,000 timeshare-owning families?

(10) Am I correct in assuming that Committee membership to TATOC is open to any timeshare owners' committee, association or similar owner representative organisation from resorts in the UK and abroad?

(11) Am I also correct in assuming that Full membership is only available to those with owners' committees or other representatives directly elected by their owners?

(12) Is it not true that the vast majority of DRI European Collection Members are Points Members?

(13) Does that not mean that DRI Points Members do not have access to a "HOME resort"?

(14) If that is so, does it not mean that DRI Points Members are not represented within the full membership of TATOC?

(14) If that is so, how are individual DRI Points Members concerns communicated to TATOC for them to take them further, if necessary?

For now, I am happy to leave my questioning at that.  Depending on whether or not I get any answers I may have further questions.  Would that be all right, Harry?

I am sure you will appreciate that this is your chance to advertise the merits of TATOC to a willing audience.  And, of course, as such, it will no doubt bring resounding cheers and praise down on the heads of the Timeshare Association and all those associated with it.

As an ignorant individual on matters relating to timeshare, I can only plead that my ignorance has never been sated because you have so far failed to educate me.

Yours ..........

resilamram

Is this thread about points or about TATOC?...I'm confused!

Mavo

quote:
Originally posted by resilamram

Is this thread about points or about TATOC?...I'm confused!

It needs a Senior Mod to move it but Doggy is in Menorca being eaten alive by either mozzies or ants.[:D]

tonyc

resilamram

Point taken.  I don't really have a lot more to add about the "points vs fees" argument.  I have exhausted my own views on it at length above.

Doogy

Can I suggest that the postings from Harry, Tom and myself of today's date  be switched to a different thread?  After all, as is Harry's wont, he has not addressed anything on this thread, just my comments about TATOC and his need to advertise all their hardwork.  It is a great pity that when you consider the points he chooses to advertise, they are more to do with the scammers who prey on those trying to offload their timeshares and not problems within the timeshare industry itself.  The scammers would not have an industry if so many people didn't feel so cheated with the product they bought in the first place.  Unfortunately, it is the usual problem.

Doggy50k

"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

hal540uk

quote:
Originally posted by tonyc

Harry Taylor, CEO of TATOC & DRI Member Director.

Thank you for your communication.  I am very privileged that you appear to be breaking one of your fundamental rules and deal with a mere member on an open forum (scrape, scrape, grovel, grovel - is that enough?).

I am very pleased that my posting had the desired effect and made you laugh.  It is so pleasing to be able to return the compliment.  After all, your performance as our Member Director over these last two years has had me rolling around with fits of laughter.  And as for advertising the Timeshare Association for Timeshare Owners' Committees or the Timeshare Association as you now prefer to be called.  Equally, I am thrilled to be able to "advertise" the organisation.  After all, TATOC basically enjoys total anonymity within the world of the average timeshare owner.  Very few timeshare consumers you talk to have ever heard of you, let alone know what your aims and objectives are.  Indeed, I am not sure that even I have quoted your full title correctly.  No doubt, you will correct me if I am wrong. So, in all seriousness, I suggest that now is not the time for back-slapping or sitting on your laurels.  you need all the publicity you can get and, as they say, bad publicity is better than none.

You are correct in your assumption - I have very little understanding of timeshare and that is why I am only too happy to let the experts advise me.  But then, in your case, you are not actually prepared to advise.  You prefer to treat the mebership to your brand of mushrooming.  Perhaps, if the public knew a bit more about the strange world of timeshare, a lot less people would now be complaining about having been "sold a pup".  Perhaps if you looked more closely at TATOC's objectives and, since it is now celebrating its 20th anniversary, have applied yourselves to achieving those aims a bit more readily there would be less dissatisfied members within our community.

I am still mystified how I have achieved the honour of an open letter from you.  I am so deeply honoured.  In case people don't know, a couple of months back both Doggy50k and I asked Harry some questions on another forum (now, sadly, no more).  Harry refused to answer them, stating that he was not prepared to discuss things on an open forum.  If we wanted answers, we should approach him through the medium of private emails.  Strange that - if you look on the official DRI forum there is a section called "Ask the Member Directors" where you are invited to pass comments or questions for answer by Harry Taylor and Mark Harris.  I wonder what is the point of DRI opening such a section when you refuse to answer questions posed to you on open forum.  Can someone else explain that please?  It is no good me asking Harry a question on open forum!

Furthermore, on that other forum (the now deceased one) in answer to Frank Burke you stated that you did not deal with members' questions on open forum and, indeed, restricted yourself to only passing on DRI details that you thought important to the membership through the medium of the DRI Official forum and both of Tony Pearce's forums.  Quite an interesting comment to make in open forum (not one of the chosen few) at about the same time that Patrick Duffy was going on here maintaining that no-one associated with DRI gave any preferential treatment to Tony Pearce's forums.  You are, of course, as a Member Director, a non-executive director of DRI.  Does that not make you "associated with DRI"?   It really did not do poor Patrick's argument much good!  nonetheless, I was in "defence of Patrick" mode then so I wasn't likely to rock the boat.

Now, is it too much to hope that you might be prepared to answer some questions on TATOC?  I don't want to drag you away from the pool for too long, so I will keep the questions to as basic as possible.  What I really mean is that I am basically as thick as **** and, therefore, any involved will go way above my head.

(1) Is it true that TATOC was formed in 1989 and is the only elected consumer association representing the interests of timeshare owners in Europe?

(2) Is it true that your Mission Statement states that "TATOC exists to safeguard and enhance the timeshare holiday experience for existing and prospective users and to be the voice of owners"?

(3) Is it true that your aims and objectives include "becoming the recognised voice of timeshare owners in Europe"?

(4) Is it also true that your aims and objectives include "challenging and discouraging bad practice"?

(5) Is it true that your aims and objectives include "acting as an encourager and facilitator for positive change for the timeshare inductry"?

(6) Is it true that your aims and objectives include "lobbying and campaigning on matters related to timeshare and timeshare owners through liaison with trade industry bodies and government departments"?      

(7)  Is it true that you have a number of companies such as Diamond Resorts International, RCI, Club La Costa, dialanexchange.com and Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket are "Platinum Affiliates"?

(8) Is it true that some of your facilities are funded by these Platinum Affiliates?

(9) Is it true that your members' resorts are located across Europe and that that gives TATOC access to over 250,000 timeshare-owning families?

(10) Am I correct in assuming that Committee membership to TATOC is open to any timeshare owners' committee, association or similar owner representative organisation from resorts in the UK and abroad?

(11) Am I also correct in assuming that Full membership is only available to those with owners' committees or other representatives directly elected by their owners?

(12) Is it not true that the vast majority of DRI European Collection Members are Points Members?

(13) Does that not mean that DRI Points Members do not have access to a "HOME resort"?

(14) If that is so, does it not mean that DRI Points Members are not represented within the full membership of TATOC?

(14) If that is so, how are individual DRI Points Members concerns communicated to TATOC for them to take them further, if necessary?

For now, I am happy to leave my questioning at that.  Depending on whether or not I get any answers I may have further questions.  Would that be all right, Harry?

I am sure you will appreciate that this is your chance to advertise the merits of TATOC to a willing audience.  And, of course, as such, it will no doubt bring resounding cheers and praise down on the heads of the Timeshare Association and all those associated with it.

As an ignorant individual on matters relating to timeshare, I can only plead that my ignorance has never been sated because you have so far failed to educate me.

Yours ..........

Hi Tony C
Back from holiday today and read you missive. I seem to have upset you. Sorry about that. My comment about your knowledge of timeshare was meant as a compliment but you seem to be admitting to some failings. Not my intention.
Your aggressive and sarcastic tone is one of the reasons I do not post but,I will contact Tome to keep my promise made in Leeds to keep the site updated with TATOC news and answer your questions on that thread. My stand on DRI remains the same. I will reply direct to members and if they wish to post my reply on any forum I have no problem with that.
Apologies for seeming to have ruffled your feathers
Harry

hal540uk

Hi Tonyc
An after thought
It is obvious that asking all these yes or no questions you have further questions. It would save time if you asked those question now  to my expected answers  of yes or no. It yes your question is ????
If no your question is????
This will save time and cut to the quick
Harry

hal540uk

Hi TonyC
It might help you if you use the space under your question

(7) Is it true that you have a number of companies such as Diamond Resorts International, RCI, Club La Costa, dialanexchange.com and Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket are "Platinum Affiliates"?

Mavo

Hi Harry.

"I will contact Tome to keep my promise made in Leeds to keep the site updated with TATOC news"

I do not think I have enough knowledge of the industry yet as to be regarded as a Tome [:D]
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

hal540uk

lol
Please accept my aplogies[:I]
Best wishes
Harry

tonyc

Harry

I have asked you some questions.  I have also stated that depending on your answers to those questions I may (or may not) have supplementary questions.  For some reason, you cannot answer these questions unless I provide you with a list of supplementary questions that will flow in each case from your individual "yes" or "no" answers.  

Why can you not just answer the questions already tabled?  Why do we have to go through a "flow chart" scenario?  Or, will your answer of "yes" or "no" depend on which one of the appropriate supplementary questions you would then have to answer?  

Equally, just because  I might be satisfied with an answer (and therefore might not have a supplementary question) that doesn't mean that others reading this thread might not have a supplementary question!  That is the way of "open forums".

Incidentally, I don't think you will find many people on this site who would subscribe to any view other than that I am a relative novice in "all matters timeshare".  So cut out the phoney compliments please!  I am a timeshare consumer - much like many thousands of others - who has made a substantial investment and, yet despite all the promises that were made when my money was being prised from my hand, I now find that I have little or no rights and must continue to feed the "timeshare monkey" every year.  And all this is happening when his appetite is increasing far more than my ability to find sufficient funds to feed him with.  Like many others I want to know who is on my side in this uneven partnership!  I also want to know as much about the "black art" of timeshare as I can so that I know what pitfalls lie in front of me and what I can do to aleviate the problems that will arise.

Now will you please answer my questions?  Because I need to find out whether or not the Timeshare Association is the genuine article or another "mouthpiece without a voicebox".

hal540uk

Tonyc

I have never met you and do not particularly want to if you as rude in person as you seem to be in your postings.

"Why can you not just answer the questions already tabled? Why do we have to go through a "flow chart" scenario? Or, will your answer of "yes" or "no" depend on which one of the appropriate supplementary questions you would then have to answer?"

"Now will you please answer my questions? Because I need to find out whether or not the Timeshare Association is the genuine article or another "mouthpiece without a voice box"

"Like many others I want to know who is on my side in this uneven partnership! I also want to know as much about the "black art" of timeshare as I can so that I know what pitfalls lie in front of me and what I can do to alleviate the problems that will arise".

Why the need for these comments?

It is not my job as CEO of TATOC to prove or justify its workings to you. Your questions have been answered and are fact. Our membership plus the EU, OFT, Trading Standards, BERR, many citizens' advice offices, BBC tv/radio consumer programmes and other reputable consumer groups are happy with the way we operate honestly and open.
Your whole attitude comes over as confrontational and I for one cannot debate in an atmosphere like that. Tatoc will post on this site with news and events and will answer any enquiries that people ask about timeshare.
We have no need to defend our reason for operating.

(1)   Is it true that TATOC was formed in 1989 and is the only elected consumer association representing the interests of timeshare owners in Europe?
Yes please see www.timeshareassociation.org

(7) Is it true that you have a number of companies such as Diamond Resorts International, RCI, Club La Costa, dialanexchange.com and Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket are "Platinum Affiliates"?

We allow companies who comply with our critera (please see www.timeshareassociation.org) to become affiliates and give them advertising space on the site. This supplements the membership income.
The Helpline is funded from a trust fund with contributions from TATOC and RDO. This money is used soley for the Helpline and none goes to TATOC.

No. Membership is open to individual timeshare owners/points members. please see www.timeshareassociation.org

No All DRI European Collection Members are Points Members

The DRI European Collection has weeks in most resorts in TATOC membership so a home resort is not necessary for points members.

DRI Points members are represented by TATOC. You do not have to be a member of TATOC to benefit from the helpline and other services but membership does have other benefits. See www.timeshareassociation.org

See the 1st 14

tonyc

Harry

The feeling is totally mutual.  I haven't met you and certainly wouldn't waste my time talking to you. Your arrogance is incredible.  I can only liken it to the same attitude adopted by another (former) member director when dealing with the membership.  That particular member director also thought himself above accountability to the membership.

From your answers - many of which I found evasive - it is clear to me that you consider that TATOC represents everyone but at no point are you prepared to justify its workings.  Isn't that arrogant?

As for the list of groups that you claim are happy with the way you operate, not one of them cannot be swayed by public opinion should the need ever arise.  Indeed, Tom has already commented on TATOC's accepability and standing within the CAB network.

Why on earth shouldn't I be confrontational towards you when your arrogance shows that you will be accountable to no-one?  You are the one who is being confrontational by choosing how (and whether) you answer my questions.  Am I to assume that TATOC will not be accountable to any Timeshare consumer?  That is the line you are adopting before condescendingly choosing to answer the questions as obliquely as possible.

Let us take Q11 as an example.  I asked - Am I correct in assuming that Full membership is only available to those with owners' committees or others directly elected by their owners?  You replied - No.  Membership is open to individual timeshare owners/points members; please see blah, blah, blah.

Where precisely on your website is mention ever made of "points members"?

I used the word "full".  I deliberately included that word because it states on your website that "full membership will only be available to those with owners' committees or other representatives directly elected by their owners."  So, how can you say "No."?

I also pointed out that "points members" do not have a home resort and that, surely without a home resort you cannot have a Resort Owners' Committee to represent you?  So, how do you interpret that as "the DRI European Collection has weeks in most resorts in TATOC membership.  So a home resort is not necessary for points members."

Once again, where on your website do you even mention "points members" and how does a "points member" get a resort owners' committee to represent his interests or concerns when he owns "nothing" at that resort?

Finally, because I am getting somewhat bored with a subject that is clearly so "shot full of holes that it is farcical in the extreme", where precisely have any points members been asked to confirm that they want TATOC to represent them in the timeshare forum.  Is it not a case that TATOC have appointed themselve into the role.  Is it not so, that they have no proper credibility to represent points members other than that they have assumed for themselves?

I don't expect any answers from you.  Instead, i will be directing all my questions in future to the organisations you state are more than happy with the way you operate!

hal540uk

tonyc
Your comments are noted and I wish you well for the future.
Harry

lawnmower60

Has TATOC in its official capacity tried to help people at Club Calypso Island Village  Yucca Park and Tenerife Royal Gardens these people seem from posts to be losing there timeshares by underhand means I have not seen one posting from TATOC offering to help them though you claim to represent all timeshare owners I think these owners need help
Brian

hal540uk

Hi Brian
These owners are receiving help. Many have contacted the helpline and we are aware of their individuel problems
Harry

Sorry I am a new poster. I have read this thread  and others with interest but there seems to be some other issues that are unrelated to the topic. Anyway I would just like to say that I would certainly consider joining TATOC as an individual member as I feel this organisation has the experience and capability to clean up the less desirable issues surrounding timeshare.I should add that I have no connection with the organisation.