Surrendering CLC weeks?

Started by Bone1882, July 06, 2010, 18:04:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Bone1882

Hi

New to the site, and have been trawling through a lot of posts! Would like to know the best way to surrender my weeks (2) back to Club La Costa? Inherited these from my father, and financial situation has changed dramatically over the last few years and just can't afford the fees anymore. How many weeks notice do you have to give, and will I have to pay next years fees?

Any advice would be so good, as I feel my head is bursting with all this! Thanks in advance.

Suebe

You need to contact CLC Member Services asap and let them know that you want to surrender your weeks back to them.  It needs to be done a good few months before the next annual maintenance fee is due.  You should not then have to pay next year's fees. Which resort do you own at and when do you normally pay your maintenance fees?

Do you have any information about the committee at your resort?
Sue B

Bone1882

Hi Sue

Thanks for getting back to me. My weeks are at Marina del Sol, and the fee letter comes in December. Have been trying to sell for about 12 - 18 months with no success, but now have to act as my financial situation is about to get worse! Don't know much about the committee accept they invite me to the AGM which I can never get to! Have you managed to do it yourself or do you know others who have done the same?

Suebe

We did manage to sell one of our weeks by advertising it on various forums including www.clcmembers.co.uk,  a website set up by timeshare owners at CLC clubs and totally independent of CLC the developers.  We had to drop the price considerably before we had any interest, but we had bought on the resale market and had good use of the week during the past ten years.  We were happy to get a couple of hundred pounds for it rather than just give it back to CLC who would then have used it towards their Vacation Club (Points club) scheme.  there is a lot of timeshare on the resale market and prices are low.

If you are going to hand back to CLC, then you need to contact them now and let them know.
Sue B

pgw

Hi,
i dont really want to surender my week but it might be the last option failed numerous times to sell it, does anyone have any ideas of legit resellers in the uk?
thanks
regards
pgw

Suebe

Have a look on TATOC and RDA websites.  They each have a list of resale companies who they recommend as reputable.
Sue B

Tycoon

Hi Bone1882

It is very difficult/impossible to sell timeshare for any money. I would look to the timeshare comsumer association who who have a link on their web site /clc.html  are trying to help clc owners who are not happy and want to get rid or claim compensation for their timeshare. I would recommend you try this.
tycoon

gemini1945

hi i gave them 6 months notice of me surrendering my week that i owed.i sent my deed of certificate to them and have had nothing else from them.no new fees  etc.i dont belong toclc anymore.i have peace of mind now.hope this helps you  somehow.

MidgeY2K

Hi All,  I have today received an email from Club La Costa Member Services about surrendering my membership.  This tells me everything I need to do and send to finally surrender my timeshare.  I will keep you posted on how this goes.  If you want full details of what they sent me, then let me know, as I'm sure there are many people out there who cannot find this out, and the internet is crammed full of companies wanting money for their services.
Cheers
Jim

Lulu

Hi, we surrendered our CLC points that we owned towards the end of last year as we were fed up with the constant rises in the fees!  We tried to sell but to no avail - there are absolutely hundreds out there for sale and we weren't being greedy either!  Just something would've been better than nothing!  Don't go to Cotswold sales either as they give you the impression they'll buy it off you but then when you get there they want nearly £3000.00!  We spoke to CLC cust services and emailed and they emailed me back with what we had to do which included sending the original points certificate back along with a letter confirming that we didn't want to own them anymore!  We did this in about Oct and all went well and we had no bill for 2011!  I'm not sure how you'll stand now we are into 2011 as you may find you are in breach of your contract which probably states that you must pay the fees by a certain date.  Good luck and to be quite frank its better to get out with nothing but no more fees than try to sell and still end up with nothing having had to pay more fees.

chouldsworth

I posted my certificate back by recorded delivery before the due date for maintenance fees to be paid.  I was then emailed and told that if I wished to surrender I should have done this by 1st August and have since received a reminder for maintenance fees which I am ignoring.

Lulu

Hi chouldsworth
thats a cheek as they were only voting on that at the AGM last year as to whether they should bring that in for the following year ie2011 so that it saved them sending out bills to people who had surrendered late on!  I'm sure it was Oct 2010 when we sent ours back (international signed for) and ours was ok!  Have you still got the agenda for the AGM and letter that went with it as it clearly states this fact and it wasn't something that was in place for last year!  Let me know how you get on!

AlyT

Interesting to know that CLC takes weeks back. No doubt this is where Macdonald Hotels, the factors for the Estate I own at, Lochanhully in Carrbridge, Scotland, got the idea from. I have just been asked whether I would like to return my timeshare to them! They were not the original factors - it was Barratt when I bought and then they gave/sold? the contract for their resorts in the UK and Spain to the Macdonald brothers.

steve

Quote from: AlyT on February 11, 2011, 15:13:29
Interesting to know that CLC takes weeks back. No doubt this is where Macdonald Hotels, the factors for the Estate I own at, Lochanhully in Carrbridge, Scotland, got the idea from. I have just been asked whether I would like to return my timeshare to them! They were not the original factors - it was Barratt when I bought and then they gave/sold? the contract for their resorts in the UK and Spain to the Macdonald brothers.

Hi Aly T,
Very interesting post, Us timeshare owners very rarely have the chance to surrender back perpetuity deeds so this is your chance to get out of this dreadful contract. If for example you wanted to sell your Macdonald Lochanhully the transfer fee would be £425 a week this year, increased from £346 last year!.

Suebe

Quote from: AlyT on February 11, 2011, 15:13:29

CLC have been taking weeks back for a number of years.  They have been willing to only because they can underpin more points to sell to prospective Vacation Club owners.  Basically selling the same product again (probably for a similar price) for  a second time but in a different format!  They did introduce a 'notice' period after the global credit crunch (must have hurt their pockets a bit) so owners of fixed weeks/points must give notice.  Don't wait until you receive your next invoice and then say you want to give your week back - it won't be accepted until the following year.

Macdonalds have got their own points club now.  Is that why they are so happpy to take them back ?

Sue B

steve

Most Timeshare resorts are now converting their members from weeks to points using "high pressure" sale tactics to convert as many owners to points as possible, surely there has to be a limit on number of points issued, otherwise there may well be an oversubscribe leading to a lack of peak weeks available. At least with a peak fixed week you are guaranteed your week. Is there any guarantee with points?

Suebe

This is where the trustees are supposed to be involved (or so we are told) - ensuring that there are weeks in the system to cover the points sold.  But I doubt if these have to be 'peak weeks'.  And trustees don't seem to have stopped over-selling whether in points or fixed week systems in the past!!   ::)

A points system is the same as a fixed week exchange system - all 'subject to availability'.  Something the sales people never really mention.  Their mantra is ' go where ever you want when ever you want!!  Then people find this is not quite the case and become disillusioned.
Sue B

annedee

I have sent two emails to CLC members services requesting information on how to surrender our week but have heard nothing. Yet my daughter, who also wants to do the same, heard back immediately!   So, do I keep on contacting them or just use the info she has received for us as well!!   I've also requested a new password for the members area on the web site as it wouldn't accept our old one, although all our details are on there and correct.   How on earth do I get a response??

elvis

I have successfully surrendered my CLC week.

I tried to sell but most agents wanted an upfront fee to advertise. One company said it would take off my hands for £2500 ( rip off merchants!).

Finally I sent the certificate signed at the back and a covering letter to surrender. Useful to say its due to financial problems rather than complain about their fees. I read somewhere that you need to send before september of the year you want to terminate. I sent mine at  the begining of August and recieved an email on 3/10 to confirm the termination was accepted. I sent the documents by international signed for but would not recommend this as you can ONLY track this as far as delivery to the country ( SPAIN ) NOT delivery to actual address, which is what you want. So use appropriate sign for service so you know they have recieved it.

I was expecting a real battle but it went quite smoothly. Good luck to all.