Benal Beach and DRI where are we going

seamus

« on: August 04, 2010, 01:00:48 »
This is the first time in 23 troublefree years that it's the 1st week in August and i'm sat at home instead of visiting many friends at Benal Beach, Spain, Owners of apartments not other members. I'm normally there for 2 weeks in early Aug. every year. Yes i seen many changes since we joined, La Quita was built and it took over our Royal Oasis Club at Benal Beach.  We suffered the changes, no gym or indoor pool, no discounts ect, Ok times change but they were sold as part of the package.  This year however they tell me i've been lucky with my bookings.  I pay every year and book with no problems, well untill DRI took over. My paperwork says 2 weeks high, they say 1 high, 1 mid, as its floating and also go on about Peak (whats that). I,m not intrested in moving, nor points i,m happy going to Benal Beach, but for how long for now they have now started selling apartments, recently selling 25 units.  It was wrote by DRI that "apartments had been carefully selected to ensure that the least desirable were disposed off" belive me after 40+ visits i know the apartments, I know many of the units sold were the better ones with bigger balconies obviously a better price for their coffers, I hear they shall sell more when more owners have thrown their contracts back at them. I bet the horrible ground/1st floor units or the units next to the lifts with tiny (hot,air con)balconies are not the carefully selected unit for sale.

Anyone out there with simular issues please join the topic, even if its just to get it off your chest

Cogland

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 19:48:21 »
I did not realise they could sell off bits of the club just as they please. I have been a member since GVC days and I remember them selling Carlton Court in London but I have never heard of a resort being sold off bit by bit.

Mavo

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:56:16 »
I know very little about Benal Beach as we have never stayed there.
 However we have seen it and decided it was not for us so always stayed at La Quinta.
 Not an ideal set up from the members point of view with members visiting Benal Beach having to use the reception at La Quinta and also having to use some of La Quintas other facilities.
 I understand that DRI only had 10% of the apartments and that Club La Costa had a much larger stake there.
 It was said that a nephew of John Davey, our former member director, was on the resort committee there representing Club la Costa.
 DRI have to provide an amount of units proportionate to the number of points out there so any sale of apartments will make no difference to overall availability. It would however limit availability at Benal Beach but increase availability at other resorts as apartments are put into the pool in order to compensate for those sold.  

Mavo

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:58 »
Looking around the forums, there are not too many members losing sleep over the loss of a few apartments at Benal Beach.
 It seems to be regarded as the least attractive of the resorts on the Costa del Sol and so members are looking at the positives by believing that any apartments put into the system to replace those sold on will be at better resorts.
 We do have to feel sorry for those members, like seamus, who visit the resort regularly and at fixed times in the year as they are the ones who will have built up relationships with some of the other owners.
Unfortunately this seems to be a decision suiting the company and the majority which means inconvenience and distress for a small minority but Hey! Onwards and Upwards with improving the club.

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 15:40:11 »
Mavo, As I read the OP, when he says he is not interested in points, I take it his ownership is in this specific resort, and if so I can see why he is irritated.  He would seem to have bought for a specific resort, which he likes.  Many timesharers feel that way.  Personally I have not much use for system wide points.  I prefer fixed weeks and fixed units at a deeded resort with timehare members, not a developer, controlling the board.  When I want to go somewhere else, I do an exchange through an exchange company.  But I know that at my NC home resort, which is oceanfront on the NC Outer Banks, most summer owners bought new from the developer and prefer to use their own weeks to the point that most do not even belong to exchange companies.  The other owners during their weeks are friends they see every summer and their children have grown up seeing each other every summer.  When the OP talks about friends at the resort for his specific weeks, I am well aware of how he feels.  My guess is that he is a floating week owner at that specific resort and DRI is how treating him differently on using his floating weeks.

After what DRI did at Wychnor Park and what its predecessor did at Club Brittania, I wonder if this is some of the same.  I know that some of the South African points clubs have been profiteering by selling off units at resorts piecemiel or sometimes, as at The Seapointer, crashing whole resorts so they can sell that off.  A resort I own at in South Africa earlier this year fought off a takeover bid by one of the more aggressive points clubs at its annual meeting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 15:42:27 by Carolinian »

Mavo

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 16:29:32 »
I accept what you say re his particular circumstances and qualified it in my last sentence on my last post on this thread.
 Unfortunately as probably the worst resort in the portfolio holding on the Costa Del Sol then few members are weeping, describing it as a concrete jungle or resembling a prison among other things.
 Given only a 10% holding in this resort DRI would have had very little control over policy or development of the resort.
 Who knows, perhaps they attempted to purchase more apartments in order to have more control but were blocked and so have decided to cut and run.
 As I said earlier in the thread a minorities loss is a majorities gain as extra apartments at superior resorts elsewhere are put into the pool.
 Standing still while others move forward is not a wise option. That is why I say Onwards and Upwards.

Cogland

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 20:27:24 »
Looking around the forums it seems to me that many members are concerned about availability, the use of resorts by non members at discounted prices and now the selling off of individual apartments opens up further cause for concern. I think given the number of members trying to get out at any price even those of us who are making full use of their membership should realise that we are certainly not heading onward and upward yet.Much needs to be done if the Club is to grow and prosper. The first green shoots will be when second hand points are no longer being offered for free. Real progress will have been made when second hand points are being snapped up from the resale agents by new members eager to join.
Some way to go yet.

Mavo

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 21:33:49 »
We are still here.
 I can only judge on where we were before DRI took over and I assure you that it was not a nice place to be.
 A few more months of what was happening and we would all have had no resorts to book in to.

If members cannot see the recovery being made then I am totally at a loss.
 There is no quick fix from the hole we were in and nobody from the company has ever said there was.
What was said at the first opportunity was that it would take a long time and sometimes seemingly unpopular decisions would have to be made before things became stabilised and the membership regained confidence in the product.
 Things have not been helped by the recession and with some timeshare users losing their jobs and others becoming too old to use the product of timeshare effectively, this has led to hundreds of scam companies springing up and preying upon the desperate to offload.
Will the second hand market recover? Not in this era but in time -Yes. Unfortunately there are too few users who have time on their hands.

Cogland

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 21:01:48 »
Well I joined when it was GVC and then it became The Former Company and throughout this time I just took my holidays mostly in The Canaries and standards were always good. I only really joined forums when Diamond introduced the first supplementary charge and followed with some huge increases in fees. Up to then  fees had been modest and the main concern was getting a holiday in the resort of choice. I continue to enjoy my holidays but they dont offer such good value now as they once did. The other thing that has changed is that the former owners would let members walk away if they no longer wanted to remain in the club.In its official comments Diamond has taken a different line although I have heard it said by a number of former members that eventually they do let go. For my part I want the club to succeed but as you point out we do have a lot of elderly members and these are not being replaced by younger members at anywhere near the rate needed.
I hope I live long enough to see the day when former members lement the day that they gave away their points for nothing but it wont happen until the idea that you continue to pay for something you dont use is firmly consigned to the dustbin.
As you say the scam companies are preying upon those trying to get out. Perhaps its time consumer law was changed to resolve these matters in a fair way for both sides.
The present situation is encouraging criminal activity and causing misery for ordinary decent people.

Mavo

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 09:23:23 »
Legislation against the scam companies is in the pipeline.
 The problem as I see it will be the same as we have now.
There will be certain countries who do not vigorously enforce that legislation and those countries are where the scam companies will move to, or remain.
Certain countries governments and enforcement agencies do not care that it is mainly the Brits who are getting ripped off - In fact, it could be said, that some countries get some sort of sadistic pleasure out of it.
 They do not mind us supporting them with our tourist money but we get very little support in return.
This recession has led to less Brits visiting abroad. The results can be now seen in the high unemployment figures coming out of countries traditionally visited by us Brits.
Slightly off topic.
 If ever a huge disaster happened in Britain I wonder just how many countries would come to our aid and how fast those countries would react in doing so?

seamus

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 15:58:59 »
Nice to see how people feel about my situation, Carolinian seems to understand and hits the spot with comments made,  my kids have grown up annually visiting Benal Beach, the concrete jungle! , so what,  we like it and not the slightest bit interested in exchanging ect. If we require another holiday, we book it and go. As regards Mavos comments and that La Quinta was their preferance, fine, La Quinta is a very nice location only 200 mtrs away, across at times a busy road, having all the amenities we once enjoyed.  I believe La Quinta was built on the success of the Royal Oasis club at Benal Beach, and yes I could let my family even use the facilities there if we wished, . Wait a minuet we bought into the concept of Benal Beach and all it had,  not a quiet, bookreading society that would frown every time a child went screaming into the water. We have seen La Quinta, Sunset Sahara and my family would not fit in either, maybe as a Spanish  speaking family we fit in far better at Benal Beach. We enjoy the multi-cultural, quantity of  people and their staff, I know not one member of DRI staff , yet have staff friends from the bar to the pool cleaner that I can visit anytime throughout the year.

As regards  not many people losing sleep or onwards n upwards improving the club elsewhere!  what on earth has that got to do with me?  Why should I buy into a Club I have absolutely no interest in?  I should pay my maintenance and book my high floating stay with a management company, little or no more than that.  Im told I can move over to points at a cost of 2,800 and annually double the maintenance cost, so that I can enjoy the Club.  Fine if the Club works for you, go for it , I can really see benefits with it but it should not be forced onto me or anyone else..  Mavo, you obviously know far more about the industry than I do, you tell me what should I do having bought into a system which we have enjoyed and are now changing the rules.  Do I tear up the contract like many others, pulling the plug, refusing to pay their dues, therefore allowing these criminals to make off with my asset?  Surely it is mine, the share we bought?  are these people owners  or  managers? Maybe Ive got it wrong,  As regards selling off the more desirable assets, for larger gain, Im sorry I see it all wrong regardless of how the least desirable resort in the portfoliois.

Mavo

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 16:42:00 »
I do understand and sympathise with your situation.
  Unfortunately what the developer cannot do is to allow progress to be held back by accepting constraints to their policies for the sake of a minority.
 If DRI are breaking the Ts and Cs of their contract with you then challenge them on it.
 Alternatively go along the ladder of decision makers in an upward direction until you find somebody within the organization who sympathises with your plight and they can then maybe plead your case.

Cogland

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 20:32:23 »
Seamus
Good luck I hope you get the holidays you have enjoyed for so long. Comments like yours remind us all that we are individuals with different ideas about what makes a good holiday.