New resort.

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 09:27:49 »
Hi Dave.
 I thought you would have gone for something at Whitley Bay [:D]

As Jeff pointed out earlier, I think currently there are ownership rules in Greece which mean that Diamond/Sunterra could only participate in a joint venture with Greek business. This would mean total transparency so it probably would not be considered. A shame really as Greece is easily accessible from the UK and certainly many places and islands, in my opinion, are a step up from mainland Spain re tourism where I find the Brit Bars and Tourist Restaurants to have become rather seedy in the last few years.

Offline arkwright

New resort.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 19:42:31 »
What about Minehead, Somerset. Call it Blueskies by Butlins. Perhaps offer vacation club membership for 30 years.

brain research tells us that only twenty percent of human beings have a sense of irony, which means that eighty percent of the world takes everything at face value.

New resort.
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 18:34:49 »
got back from tenerife couple of weeks back and whilst there saw the rep and had a chat about things and were shown the new diamond portfolio folder and glass paperweight we will all get lol.she also said they were looking at a couple of places,one in ireland and one on a greek island as well as the other diamond resorts being available too.

take it with a pinch of salt i suppose

boiler

New resort.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 15:45:17 »
There really are some timeshares in the places listed above (please note I said some), but unfortunately they are usually in some other company's folio, so depending on who you are with they may never extend to other regions

Offline Rorytiger

New resort.
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 00:15:01 »
All we get are more affiliates and more any more resorts in the NW of England or CDS in Spain or South Tenerife and I will scream, even the affiliates in Ireland are grouped together - what we need is some more variety - Greece, Turkey, NW Scotland, Northumberland, Ibiza, Italian lakes (garda), Dordogne France, Even the Austrian and German resorts are pretty close together. Come on DRI lets get more none affiliated resorts on board and prove to members that you can expand our portfolio of resorts.
Rory the Tiger

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 09:19:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Rorytiger

All we get are more affiliates and more any more resorts in the NW of England or CDS in Spain or South Tenerife and I will scream, even the affiliates in Ireland are grouped together - what we need is some more variety - Greece, Turkey, NW Scotland, Northumberland, Ibiza, Italian lakes (garda), Dordogne France, Even the Austrian and German resorts are pretty close together. Come on DRI lets get more none affiliated resorts on board and prove to members that you can expand our portfolio of resorts.

Something wrong with Yorkshire then? [:D]
 Welcome to the forums.[:)]

resilamram

New resort.
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 10:49:34 »
Tunisia
Cyprus
any Greek Island
the list is endless.....

Offline Rorytiger

New resort.
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 12:06:44 »
Mavo

Yes lets get one on the Yorkshire heritage coast I could pop in there and use the leisure facilities that would add value to my membership
Rory the Tiger

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 16:06:52 »
Yeah.
 At least the leisure facilities would be better than the three sheep tied to a lamp post that you get in Cumbria [:D][:D]

resilamram

New resort.
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 16:39:17 »
Good news about new resorts under AGM thread, shame they are affiliates though. The one in Crete is particularly good news!

WNelson

New resort.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 09:26:21 »
Are affiliate resorts the way of the future with dri? Does anyone think they will ever purchase a resort outright again? I find this trend worrying as it just seems dri are "sub-contracting" out their responsibilities to the members and relying on other companies to provide the high standard of holiday that we expect. I am in no doubt that these affiliates are vetted closely before a deal is struck but this trend is still something I am not over happy with.
I have been looking at the points required for affiliates and think that they are very high in comparison to dri-owned resorts, also there is scant information available on the dri website for these places in comparison.
Are the majority of US resorts affiliated? If so is this a guide to the future of European resorts?

hercules

New resort.
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 00:17:04 »
Well Willie (Willie Nelson) I think you are correct affiliates is the way forward for DRI this is all well and good if they are well appointed and vetted and are of a higher standard than DRI resorts justifying their higher points tags, I have one real reservation and that is if they are in higher demand being higher quality and better appointed than our resorts then what chance have DRI members got of booking in just 10 months in advance. Yes I also agree it would be nice to see some new quality DRI owned resorts.

WNelson

New resort.
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 10:43:59 »
Sorry to disappoint you Hercules but my name is Walter , no relation to Willie!

hercules

New resort.
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 11:28:01 »
My apologies Walter it is just that I am a big Willie Nelson fan and I just wondered if your user name (handle) was one of a fellow fan, I am a big Steptoe and son fan and Elton John fan as well hence my handle hercules.

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 14:58:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by WNelson

Are affiliate resorts the way of the future with dri? Does anyone think they will ever purchase a resort outright again? I find this trend worrying as it just seems dri are "sub-contracting" out their responsibilities to the members and relying on other companies to provide the high standard of holiday that we expect. I am in no doubt that these affiliates are vetted closely before a deal is struck but this trend is still something I am not over happy with.
I have been looking at the points required for affiliates and think that they are very high in comparison to dri-owned resorts, also there is scant information available on the dri website for these places in comparison.
Are the majority of US resorts affiliated? If so is this a guide to the future of European resorts?

Do we look at and discuss these affiliated resorts correctly?

Perhaps they are slightly dearer on our points but is this because the European ones seem to be Hapimag resorts. Hapimag are known for quality.
 Should we not expect that an affiliated resort would cost more anyway?
 Also what difference is there in an "exchange" into an affiliated resort than an exchange into an Interval International apartment, apart from the fact that the affiliated resort does not charge us directly but Interval International does?
 We can thus offset the extra points used against the £100 approx booking fee with Interval.
 Now we can perhaps discuss which is the better value Affiliated resorts or Interval International?

WNelson

New resort.
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 16:17:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mavo

quote:

Do we look at and discuss these affiliated resorts correctly?

Perhaps they are slightly dearer on our points but is this because the European ones seem to be Hapimag resorts. Hapimag are known for quality.
 Should we not expect that an affiliated resort would cost more anyway?
 Also what difference is there in an "exchange" into an affiliated resort than an exchange into an Interval International apartment, apart from the fact that the affiliated resort does not charge us directly but Interval International does?
 We can thus offset the extra points used against the £100 approx booking fee with Interval.
 Now we can perhaps discuss which is the better value Affiliated resorts or Interval International?

When you buy into a points-based timeshare you judge your level of points holding to what you want out of it over a given year i.e. you look at the points values for the kind of places available at the time of year you are likely to be holidaying and accept the blurb that the portfolio of resorts will increase at the same time as retaining the high level of quality.
When the reality becomes apparent that any new "acquisitions" are affiliated resorts with higher point values, then it tends to grate when you need to increase your points holding to take advantage of the new resorts.
Are we now to expect that as the portfolio grows so we need to buy extra points to enjoy them?
As to your view that the high points values are because they are Hapimag resorts then why did we not all buy into Hapimag in the first place?
I do not expect that affiliate resorts should cost more, like I said I joined at a level that I expected to be able to holiday annually without buying more points.
I have never done an exchange and don't intend to because I thought that DRI would cater for my needs without going elsewhere.
 I think we need to discuss whether affiliate resorts are the right way for DRI to progress or not and not blindly accept them as the right way forward in the first place.

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 17:15:38 »
Firstly.
 We have not in the past had a guarantee of a high level of quality. Until DRI came along we had a lowering of quality for the same use of points.
 Secondly.
 I have said before. We do not know the finances involved in recovery and a return to better standards. We do not know how far above the former company standards DRI are prepared to raise the bar.
 We do not know if affiliations are a short term stop gap until better times.
 We asked for greater variety DRI have produced that variety.
 Was or is it the only way within the constraints of the finances? We do not know.
 The company is privately owned and so we do not have access to the figures.

We have to remember that the current world wide recession has come about through sub prime lending and poor risk investments by lenders.
 Finance houses are not lending on many leisure projects at present, as there is a downturn in demand as well as a few burnt fingers. Any lending that is occuring is at high rates of interest commensurate with the risks seen to be involved.
 I agree that in a downturn it is a good time to buy and invest but you have to have the capital and the right opportunities in order to do so.

Accepting the blurb and the sales patter you hope will be correct and truthful does not mean that guarantees are made or will be kept by any company or its successors. This is why we on here worked so hard to rid the members of the former company who so spectacularly failed to live up to their salesmens guarantees and promises.
 DRI are delivering for us. The fact that at present it cannot always be in the manner we would hope should not detract from the long way they have come with delivery in a relatively short space of time and during a recession the likes of which have not been seen before in our lifetimes.  

daviddwells

New resort.
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 17:26:46 »
Affiliate resorts are an excellent way for DRI to test the water for new areas. We don't want DRI purchasing units in a resort or area that is not going to prove popular with members, as it would probably result in a loss of income and a loss of profit when it had to be sold on. How else can DRI evaluate new locations?

I feel sorry for DRI in a way. They are caught between a rock and a hard place. If they don't increase the choice people moan, but if they do so using affiliated resort, people also moan.

I'm all for more choice, even if it is at a slight premium. I don't want to go to the same old places year in, year out. Let them find new places to go to and test to see if there is demand by the cheapest means possible and then they can decide to invest in the ones that members want.

David

WNelson

New resort.
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 17:37:39 »
Whatever makes you think affiliated resorts are test-beds for future purchases?
I don't think you need to feel sorry for DRI, they know what they are doing, my question is are they going about it in a way that is going to  put extra cost on members many of whom are hard-pressed already?

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 18:03:13 »
quote:

Whatever makes you think affiliated resorts are test-beds for future purchases?
I don't think you need to feel sorry for DRI, they know what they are doing, my question is are they going about it in a way that is going to  put extra cost on members many of whom are hard-pressed already?

Hi Walter
 Can I suggest that affiliations are not likely to put any great further financial strains on the membership as they will be a tit for tat operation giving both sides a greater variety. Acquisitions would come at a cost to us as the lending would probably have to be financed through current structures and as I said in my last post, at a high interest rate because of the current financial climate.