New resort.

hercules

New resort.
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 18:38:28 »
To reply to Mavo's points

DRI claim that affiliated resorts points are reflected in their location, higher demand and higher quality I have never visited so cannot comment thus hense their higher value - anyone been for a week to Hawaii in Presidential 2 bed suite yet only around 44,000 points for the week?

Observation - I thought we were building DRI resorts to best in class!

If these Affiliated resorts are in such high demand how can we book them just 10 months in advance.  As affiliates have access to our DRI owned resorts will this put more strain on booking into these resorts especially for members with dirty second hand points?

My experience is that when you can book an II resort using points or on a late break it is equal quality and usually cheaper than booking a DRI or Affiliated resort (points alone)including the II fee (excluding latebeaks).

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 19:35:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by hercules

To reply to Mavo's points

DRI claim that affiliated resorts points are reflected in their location, higher demand and higher quality I have never visited so cannot comment thus hense their higher value - anyone been for a week to Hawaii in Presidential 2 bed suite yet only around 44,000 points for the week?

Observation - I thought we were building DRI resorts to best in class!

If these Affiliated resorts are in such high demand how can we book them just 10 months in advance.  As affiliates have access to our DRI owned resorts will this put more strain on booking into these resorts especially for members with dirty second hand points?

My experience is that when you can book an II resort using points or on a late break it is equal quality and usually cheaper than booking a DRI or Affiliated resort (points alone)including the II fee (excluding latebeaks).

I think you will find that DRI have stated it is their hope to bring DRI standards to a level comparable to Hilton,Mariotts etc.
 That hope is probably being continually thwarted by members who spend most of their time complaining about rising fees yet still expect the revolution to take place on the cheap.

My job on here is to try to open peoples eyes in order that they see the bigger picture from all sides not just their own.
 It is not what we want to be achieved it is what is achievable within the constraints of the current climate. We are not going to help if we (even a few) criticise every move that is not to the members liking.
  It is not good enough for us to say we do not agree with that policy or that decision. We have to think beyond as to possibly why that policy is put in place or possibly why that decision has been arrived at.
 The company does not make anti member decisions for the sake of it, I am sure, and decisions made are in the best interests of all in the long run.
We have to accept that company decisions affecting finances will not be discussed with the members (customers). That is the way of business.
 We have a right to be heard on forums but we have to be sensible and responsible enough to do so in a manner which does not inhibit the drive forward by the company.

I have never used II so I have no idea as to its VFM. I know we can use our own resorts via II so quality must be comparable I would think.
 Does anybody know if our resorts booked via II are cheaper on points than booking direct and if so does the saving on points equate as good value when offset against the II booking fee?

Terrahawk

New resort.
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 19:42:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mavo

quote:
Originally posted by WNelson

Whatever makes you think affiliated resorts are test-beds for future purchases?
I don't think you need to feel sorry for DRI, they know what they are doing, my question is are they going about it in a way that is going to  put extra cost on members many of whom are hard-pressed already?

Hi Walter
 Can I suggest that affiliations are not likely to put any great further financial strains on the membership as they will be a tit for tat operation giving both sides a greater variety. Acquisitions would come at a cost to us as the lending would probably have to be financed through current structures and as I said in my last post, at a high interest rate because of the current financial climate.

Accquistions should be bought from the sale of further points, it's not up to us to finance them.
Otherwise what's happening to the income from sales?

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 20:00:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Terrahawk

quote:

quote:

Whatever makes you think affiliated resorts are test-beds for future purchases?
I don't think you need to feel sorry for DRI, they know what they are doing, my question is are they going about it in a way that is going to  put extra cost on members many of whom are hard-pressed already?

Hi Walter
 Can I suggest that affiliations are not likely to put any great further financial strains on the membership as they will be a tit for tat operation giving both sides a greater variety. Acquisitions would come at a cost to us as the lending would probably have to be financed through current structures and as I said in my last post, at a high interest rate because of the current financial climate.

Accquistions should be bought from the sale of further points, it's not up to us to finance them.
Otherwise what's happening to the income from sales?

Further sales of points are being made more difficult by bad publicity being generated by a few disaffected which is why I ask people to think about the bigger picture.
 We do not know how well or badly sales of points are going but given the bad publicity of timeshare in general over the last few years then that may answer the question as to why DRI have not made any recent acquisitions of resorts. These are the things I am trying to get members to see as possibilities in the scenario.
 We are unlikely to get answers to these things directly from the company but we are capable of thinking of reasons why events take place or do not take place.
 We are not going to gain anything by blindly saying "I do not like this or that"

WNelson

New resort.
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 20:47:01 »
Mavo,I cannot accept the views you are putting forward here, blaming those who are dissatisfied for the lack of sales is extremely short-sighted.
As moderator you say it is your job to open people's eyes so that they see the bigger picture, is it? I'm not sure that is what a moderator does,with all due respect. How can members effect change if they do not state how they feel about things? You appear to be saying we have to accept everything DRI does and try and see good in it and not complain if we do not agree?
One would hope that if DRi management do peruse this forum that they would take some notice of the opinions of members and not just ignore it if they do not agree.
I am a great supporter of DRI and its type of holiday, I am not one of those who want out just because the fees have gone up but I reserve the right to express my opinion about policies that I do not totally agree with.I hope I am not included in the umbrella of "blindly saying I do not like this or that" as there a hell of a lot that I do like about DRI and intend to stay the course, but the flip-side is there are things I am not happy with and will continue to say as much.

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 21:58:28 »
quote:

Mavo,I cannot accept the views you are putting forward here, blaming those who are dissatisfied for the lack of sales is extremely short-sighted.
As moderator you say it is your job to open people's eyes so that they see the bigger picture, is it? I'm not sure that is what a moderator does,with all due respect. How can members effect change if they do not state how they feel about things? You appear to be saying we have to accept everything DRI does and try and see good in it and not complain if we do not agree?
One would hope that if DRi management do peruse this forum that they would take some notice of the opinions of members and not just ignore it if they do not agree.
I am a great supporter of DRI and its type of holiday, I am not one of those who want out just because the fees have gone up but I reserve the right to express my opinion about policies that I do not totally agree with.I hope I am not included in the umbrella of "blindly saying I do not like this or that" as there a hell of a lot that I do like about DRI and intend to stay the course, but the flip-side is there are things I am not happy with and will continue to say as much.

Hi Walter
 I said sales of points are being made more difficult. I did not blame it all on the disaffected.
 Nor did I say my job as a moderator. I said my job on here meaning this thread.
 Let me make it perfectly clear.
 I will see my job as a moderator totally different to how you see it.
 Moderating does not exclude me from debate as an individual member though there are those who believe it should.
 I also do not believe that you or anyone else should blindly accept what DRI present to us.
 If you read what I say it is that there are company decisions which are made because they have the info and knowledge to make those decisions. We do not, so when "unpopular decisions" are made we have to first look for possible reasons rather than condemning them out of hand. I have put this forward in about 3 different ways in the last couple of days yet people will try to say that I have said something different to my words.
 Having been a buisiness man for many years I am able to look at things from an overall view which others seem to struggle with.
 The next thing that will no doubt be levelled at me is that I am a company man.
 It`s not new to me. I have had it all before.

For readers in general.
 I do know how to moderate these particular forums. That is why I have been coaxed back. I am here to keep it in order. I do not expect to win friends and I am sure that there are and will be people out there with the sole intention of disruption. Childish of them I know but unfortunately a fact.
 People will try as before to twist my words and provoke. It is nothing new to me.
 At the moment I am just establishing the ground rules so at present I am trying to get people to understand that.

A very recent question on this thread was.
 "what's happening to the income from sales?"

Who was the question directed at?
 If it was me then the poster has not read what I have contributed on this thread and if it was to DRI the same applies, ie. they have not read my previous comments. Or alternatively it was designed to provoke which is a no no.
 At the moment I am just letting people know what is expected of them if they wish to play a positive and active part on the forums.
 We do know who is on here to try to help and we know who is on to hinder.

Walter
 Thank you for your advice and no disrespect but with 4 years experience on here as a moderator. I prefer to do it my way.
 I can assure you that from previous experience, the only way forward is to stick within the guidelines.

daveandmaureen

New resort.
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 22:50:10 »
Returning to the subject of this thread which is "New Resort".

I would of course prefer all new availability to be in DRI owned Resorts where standards can be monitored and maintained. However I am a realist and appreciate that we can only have half a dozen new DRI owned Resorts if DRI have sold enough New Points (not second hand, dirty, handed back Points but brand new additional Points) to require the extra inventory that 6 new Resorts would bring.

I strongly suspect that DRI are finding it difficult to find people to purchase New Points or existing Points Owners who would like more Points. At present I feel sure new Points Sales are exceeded by those trying to cash in their Points by selling then or giving them to others, persuading DRI to accept them back for free or at worst just walking away and hoping a Court Summons does not land on the mat.

If overall the Total Number of Points in circulation, and in respect of which Points Members or DRI pay the MFs, has not increased then financially there can be no new inventory. Unless of course for example DRI disposed of say a Tenerife or a Costa del Sol Resort and replaced it with an equivalent amount of inventory in a new location.

At present I think the only way to get new destinations will by down the Affiliated Route where for example we let some Hapimag Owners use SBGOC (as an example) and in exchange we get access to new places like Costa Brava, Turkey and Crete. It isn't perfect but until sales of "NEW" Points take off it's the best we can hope for.

It has been suggestd that sales are adversely effected by anti-DRI comments on this and other Webs-sites. I feel this is true to some extent but the biggest downer to Additional Points Sales must be the sheer number of people who want to sell their Points for a pittance or are even prepared give them away thus writing off their initial expenditure of £,000s. When prospective Points buyers read such things on the "Net" during their 14 day cooling off period they must reach for the cancel option quite quickly.

I know it is proper to a diffrent thread but the restrictions which make "second class" all second hand/Dirty points I feel contributes to the total lack of a second-hand market for Points between Members. I do think that if DRI looked at that decision (the one reducing the benefits whic atach to second-hand points) again they may find they have shot themselves in the foot somewhat.

Cheers

Dave K

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 23:08:33 »
Originally posted by daveandmaureen

Returning to the subject of this thread which is "New Resort".

Hi Dave.
Firstly.
 Sarcasm is currently in a strictly short cooling off period.

Secondly.
 May I humbly suggest that you stick to the 3.8 by volume type as your post did markedly deteriorate towards the end.

Lastly
 The words and letters were all there  -- but not necessarily in the right order. -- I wish I had been the first one to say that.

Retirement is not all beer and skittles.  

WNelson

New resort.
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 01:50:54 »
quote:

quote:

Hi Walter
 I said sales of points are being made more difficult. I did not blame it all on the disaffected.
 Nor did I say my job as a moderator. I said my job on here meaning this thread.
 Let me make it perfectly clear.
 I will see my job as a moderator totally different to how you see it.
 Moderating does not exclude me from debate as an individual member though there are those who believe it should.
 I also do not believe that you or anyone else should blindly accept what DRI present to us.
 If you read what I say it is that there are company decisions which are made because they have the info and knowledge to make those decisions. We do not, so when "unpopular decisions" are made we have to first look for possible reasons rather than condemning them out of hand. I have put this forward in about 3 different ways in the last couple of days yet people will try to say that I have said something different to my words.
 Having been a buisiness man for many years I am able to look at things from an overall view which others seem to struggle with.
 The next thing that will no doubt be levelled at me is that I am a company man.
 It`s not new to me. I have had it all before.

For readers in general.
 I do know how to moderate these particular forums. That is why I have been coaxed back. I am here to keep it in order. I do not expect to win friends and I am sure that there are and will be people out there with the sole intention of disruption. Childish of them I know but unfortunately a fact.
 People will try as before to twist my words and provoke. It is nothing new to me.
 At the moment I am just establishing the ground rules so at present I am trying to get people to understand that.

A very recent question on this thread was.
 "what's happening to the income from sales?"

Who was the question directed at?
 If it was me then the poster has not read what I have contributed on this thread and if it was to DRI the same applies, ie. they have not read my previous comments. Or alternatively it was designed to provoke which is a no no.
 At the moment I am just letting people know what is expected of them if they wish to play a positive and active part on the forums.
 We do know who is on here to try to help and we know who is on to hinder.

Walter
 Thank you for your advice and no disrespect but with 4 years experience on here as a moderator. I prefer to do it my way.
 I can assure you that from previous experience, the only way forward is to stick within the guidelines.

Dear Mavo, I am not going to disagree further with what you have previously written,it is there for all to read and draw their own conclusions. Neither was I attempting to tell you how to moderate, I was merely asking the question.
When a moderator enters into a debate it is difficult to know which hat he is wearing at the time, this is one of the problems with internet forums unlike real forums where one can see the person speaking and can hear the intonation in the voice.
The reasons for companies decisions are not always readily apparent to those on the outside even if the observer has been in business themselves, as many of us have.
Accusations of being a company man , no doubt childish, serve no purpose and are normally made by those unable to further their argument.
Your ability to moderate is not inquestion by myself, although I have previously asked for a level of flexibility and understanding when interpreting some posts/posters in as much you recognise the spirit in which they may be posted, again I relate to the difference between internet forums and real face-to-face forums. Members should not feel that they would not want to post because of how the post could be misinterpreted.
What may be viewed as hindrance could be misinterpreted because of the lack of face-to-face debate and it would be a shame to lose active posters who contribute a great deal to a forum because of this. A forum without any posters or just a small handful with the same or similar views serves little or no purpose.
Just my opinion, of course. no criticism of you or anyone else intended.Just hope I have put it across clearly as it is late and I feel I may have been labouring the point somewhat. Goodnight.

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2009, 11:58:53 »
I/we do not mind dropping a few people off. We seem to have managed perfectly well for the last few years without certain individuals.
 My work on this thread is now complete. It has allowed me to establish a who`s who and things are certainly a lot clearer. Once I know what to expct and from where it makes it a lot simpler for me to deal with [;)]

Just as an aside.
 People will have to recognise the hat I wear from time to time. I have to recognise which hats others are wearing too [:)] If you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:03:15 by Mavo »

Mavo

New resort.
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2009, 17:06:35 »
A post has been removed as it was off topic. I accept that this thread is now off topic so I am locking it until we can have a discussion about it and decide what to do.
 It may be that once we have adjusted the membership we can open it up again.