RCI trading power points

Started by fastal909, January 02, 2011, 15:40:33

Previous topic - Next topic

fastal909

I have been given a max 15 points for my 1 Bed 2 bathroom unit at Hollywood Mirage Club Tenerife for to exchange..

On the RCI site you need 17 points for the same unit to exchange into,also a studio unit has been given the same trading power points
Do you think this is fair.

Suebe

How far ahead have you banked your week?  Doesn't this influence the 'points' value RCI give you?  The further ahead the more points, etc?
Sue B

Carolinian

RCI's new Points Lite system really does stink.  There are many examples of where RCI skims value as they did with you.  On the other hand, there are resorts where RCI panders to the developer and overpoints deposits, requiring far less to trade back in.  The most glaring one of those I have heard of is one reported on a US t/s talkboard where RCI gave 50 points lite for a deposit of a 2011 week 52 at Vacation Village at Parkway in Orlando, but only required 10 points lite to trade back into it.  Vacation Village at Parkway was identified by Bootleg, an RCI employee who used to post on a number of boards, as the resort with the biggest oversupply in the entire RCI system. Yet RCI is giving 5 times as much credit for a deposit as it costs to trade in.

Points Lite has a numbers racket that only the mafia might love.  I am now splitting my summer UK week deposits between DAE and SFX.  I simply do not trust the shananigans of RCI these days.

www.dialanexchange.com

www.sfx-resorts.com

Carolinian

Here is a thread on the topic on a US board (I also put a link back to this thread in that one):

http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/rci/112547-how-many-came-out-ahead-vice-versa.html

fastal909

This year i was given trading power of 14 pts for week 28 and 17 pts for week 29 same apartment they were reduced to 95% value  depending when you deposit.If i was to deposit my 2012 weeks i would get 100% but both weeks would get me 15pts each.????

Willself

BEST Advice you be to leave RCI..Points or Weeks..and gain  A t least a week -4 aweek!! Year Round.
with Dial an Exchange..More over if you own say a Studio..within there system you could Exchange for
a 2 bed sleep. 6..Subject to Availability!!
NO  joinging fees...and about £30. to Gain Gold Standard Membership!! No harm in having a Look!!

fastal909

Good idea think RCI are a rip off

Carolinian

Quote from: Willself on January 21, 2011, 20:58:17
BEST Advice you be to leave RCI..Points or Weeks..and gain  A t least a week -4 aweek!! Year Round.
with Dial an Exchange..More over if you own say a Studio..within there system you could Exchange for
a 2 bed sleep. 6..Subject to Availability!!
NO  joinging fees...and about £30. to Gain Gold Standard Membership!! No harm in having a Look!!

+1

After RCI started renting exchange deposits to the general public, its exchange system was degraded.  And now with this ''Points Lite'' change to their "weeks" exchange system, it is degraded further, especially for resorts where they are skimming value.

I have been happy with DAE.  I am now exploring SFX as well, and have made my first deposit with them.  I hear good things about that exchange company, as well.

Morpheus

I agree about DAE - while the level of inventory is lower, everything is clear and above board.

They also bring in privately owned properties so the geographical spread of availability is higher..
Long time member of MORPS (www.morps.org) the RCI Points owners group.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

Buzby

Sadly, DAE is becoming more expensive. Previously upgrading to Gold Membership was an extra few really bothered with. Nowadays, many properties are being restricted to gold members ONLY, which takes away the benefit of membership to impose a dual-standard availability.

Sad, but true.
- Raymond

Morpheus

As I understand it, you can get Gold membership either by paying OR by depositing a week (I am sure that is how it works but cannot find it noted on their website)!

Certainly when we deposited weeks we got Gold membership as a result.

This avoids people plundering the system without putting anything back in, which seems fair and sensible to me.
Long time member of MORPS (www.morps.org) the RCI Points owners group.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

steveandybob

have booked 2 weeks to gran canaria sept 2011 through RCI thier new points system. Found i had 3 points left over which i thought i could keep. Yes i can but i`ll have to pay an xtra £65 thank you no help there then. About RCI i have many times tried to find good resorts to holiday too of recent san diego(i have weeks in hollywood mirage) all resorts on offer are in the middle of nowhere and are absolutley rubbish you never get like for like,even when you pay £145 up front for first service. I am a member of DAE but have yet no weeks till next year having banked with rci. As most people consider/ think in whoose pocket is whom in

Suebe

Quote from: steveandybob on January 24, 2011, 14:07:27
have booked 2 weeks to gran canaria sept 2011 through RCI thier new points system. Found i had 3 points left over which i thought i could keep. Yes i can but i`ll have to pay an xtra £65 thank you no help there then. About RCI i have many times tried to find good resorts to holiday too of recent san diego(i have weeks in hollywood mirage) all resorts on offer are in the middle of nowhere and are absolutley rubbish you never get like for like,even when you pay £145 up front for first service. I am a member of DAE but have yet no weeks till next year having banked with rci. As most people consider/ think in whoose pocket is whom in

You have to pay for Gold Membership with RCI (£30) but you do get some benefits for that including a discount on exchange fees if booking long haul destinations I think, as well as first opportunity to book weeks deposited.  Don't get it free when depositing weeks.

I have a week with DAE and am in RCI Points scheme.  Don't know much about the new RCI Weeks scheme.  I was told that it has come into being as a result of court cases in USA and the fact that RCI have now got to be transparent with regard to 'trading power'.  Is this true?

It would seem, from what Carolinian says, that there are still large anomolies in the system and there is no transparency at all.  How does one get information about these Points Lite values?  I need to find out the trading power values for a Club la Costa resort - Marina del Sol on Costa del Sol.  Are there any tables of maximum values for the various resorts (realising that these values will decrease the longer you leave depositing a week).  Can anyone help?

I am also convinced that RCI enters into all sorts of 'agreements' with various large resorts/companies to enhance their status, give them unfair advantages, etc.  Those that have bought into timeshare and use their exchange system are low on RCI's list in terms of fairness and ensuring their members get the maximum benefits.

Sue
Sue B

Carolinian

There is a trading power calculator on the RCI website, but it may not be availible to members of the original RCI Points.  It is on the page for depositing weeks for members of what used to be the weeks program.

RCI has used the lawsuit as an excuse for the new system, but the ''settlement'' in that case was a sham which really required RCI to do almost nothing.  The attorneys for the plaintiff class sold out their clients and waved a white flag in return for a few low value trinkets for thier clients and a million dollar legal fee payoff for themselves.  The lawsuit was about RCI's widespread rental of exchange deposits to the general public instead of using them for exchanges, not about the way the exchange system worked internally.

fastal909

I have just tried to exchange my banked weeks with RCI.I put in for an exchange worth 16pts in Gran Canaria, my week was worth 17pts so i had 1pt left over.So i thought i would be able to add this onto my other week i have which is worth 14pts to make 15pts so i could book a second week in Gran Canaria at the back of one another. Thats when i found out that i would have to combine my 1pt and my 14pt week at a cost of another £69.This is on top of the exchange fee.This was after being told that my weeks are now worth only 95% of ther value cause i didnt bank them until just before xmas.Full value must be 273 days before our weeks start,how can i get full value if my maintenance at my resort doesnt come till December.The lady from RCI also told me the Points awarded for weeks go on the demand for them,it doesnt matter if you have Gold Crown Resort or not.I banked 2 Gold Crown weeks and the week i wanted was not.What really p---ed me off was them charging me to use my point i had left over to combine it onto my week that they already reduced at a cost o f£69 now that i think is a rip off.Forgot she also said the weeks points are done on a basis that they look 2 years ahead to what the demand will be for resorts hence my 2012 weeks are only worth 15pts each.

Suebe

Quote from: Carolinian on January 29, 2011, 17:33:21
There is a trading power calculator on the RCI website, but it may not be availible to members of the original RCI Points.  It is on the page for depositing weeks for members of what used to be the weeks program.

RCI has used the lawsuit as an excuse for the new system, but the ''settlement'' in that case was a sham which really required RCI to do almost nothing.  The attorneys for the plaintiff class sold out their clients and waved a white flag in return for a few low value trinkets for thier clients and a million dollar legal fee payoff for themselves.  The lawsuit was about RCI's widespread rental of exchange deposits to the general public instead of using them for exchanges, not about the way the exchange system worked internally.

Perhaps an rci Weejs member with access to the calculater could give me an idea of how of the trading value of a week 29 2-bedroom (6/6) apartment in Spain.  Don't know what other information would be needed.

Over the last few months I have been looking for exchanges both within the RCI Points and RCI Weeks system both of which seem to have very limited availability even in such areas as Spain, and the Canary Islands.  In the RCI Weeks inventory the number of resorts/weeks available throughout the year can be listed in 10's.  By chance I looked at the Extra Holidays section (where weeks can be booked but have to be paid for)  - what a surprise to find 100's of weeks available at various locations throughout Europe and other parts of the world, giving a much wider choice. 

Where are these weeks coming from - are they coming from the exchange system or is RCI using spare capacity at resorts throughout the world and renting them out on behalf of the resorts?  Is the same thing happening here in Europe as happened in USA?  People who used to work for RCI have reported that good weeks are creamed off for the rental market - is this the truth or just rumour-spreading??  It makes you wonder when there are so many weeks available for rent and so few for exchange.

Sue B

arkwright

Hi Suebe

RCI ask for resort and apartment number as well as week number and size. I have no idea if different apartments have varying trading values.
A 2 bed at Anfi Beach Club for week 29 2011 has a maximum trading power of 23 and a current trading power of 21.

brain research tells us that only twenty percent of human beings have a sense of irony, which means that eighty percent of the world takes everything at face value.

Suebe

Thanks for that Arkwright.

If you could check on CLC at Marina del Sol - it would be a two-bedroom sleeps six - but I don't have an apartment number.

Sue
Sue B

williea

Hi Sue

A week 29 2 bed at Marina Del Sol is 31 pts for 2011 and 2012   (apt 114)
A week 29 2 bed at Las Farolas is 30 pts for 2011 and 2012   (apt AV-2D)
A week 29 2 bed at Las Faroles Royale is 37 pts for 2011 and 2012  (apt LFR02)

Willie

fastal909

No wonder we cant get exchanges in spain with these points values,they are about double the Tenerife timeshares