RCI trading power points

Started by fastal909, January 02, 2011, 15:40:33

Previous topic - Next topic

fastal909

Yes we have got two bathrooms in our one bed apartment in the Jane Mansfield Block apartment 3131

Carolinian

Quote from: fastal909 on September 16, 2011, 14:16:08
Just recieved RCI Holiday Magazine.Inside it states that the minimum points you need to get into the Hollywood Mirage Club for an exchange is 18pts.I own 2 weeks there and RCI have awarded my 2 weeks 15pts each weeks 28 and 29 in a one bed two bathroom.Talk about being ripped off,for me to exchange into my own resort i would have to combine my 2 weeks to get one week at another time of year if i wanted to exchange back into the resort.Goodbye RCI

Many UK resorts rarely show online availibility in warm season and sometimes show no availibility at all.  These resorts show a supply / demand curve that would indicate high points levels if RCI set points on an honest basis.  However, when they charge more points to exchange into a week than they are giving at the very same point in time for a deposit of the same week, it is crystal clear that they are deliberately shortchanging the depositing member.  On the other hand, when RCI regularly gives more points lite for a deposit than they charge for an exchange into the same week, as they regularly do in overbuilt Orlando, for example, where they are constantly awash in excess inventory, that shows they are giving away to other members more points lite than they deserve.

It is easy to see which areas are being screwed like the UK and which are being overpointed like Orlando.

One UK resort that often has nothing at all availible online and when it does it is usually only offseason, is Broome Park.  Recently, Broome Park showed a week 48 studio for 2, its smallest unit type in one of its least desirable weeks of the year, availible for exchange for 19 points lite.  Looking at the deposit calculator at RCI, the owner would have gotten at best 17 points lite for the deposit.  So RCI was cheating him even on this small offseason week.

Consider if this had been a 2BR unit, which the deposit calculator says the resort has only one of, and in summer during school holidays, say week 31.  The deposit calculator says RCI would have given only 29 points lite for that deposit.  Since this type of week almost never appears online, and is generally snagged by an ongoing search, where RCI can charge whatever it wants for the exchange, how much do you think they would charge someone exchanging in to it?  Twice what the owner depositing it was given?  A large summer week is likely to get a much bigger points inflation than a small winter week, isn't it?

As long as RCI does business this way, why would anyone trust dealing with them?

Willself

Because RCI.  are the Largest Exchange Network...They seem to think, there is NO  alternative!!

Well 1 beg to differ.. DIALANEXCHANGE.COM..stand head and shoulders above them!! In FACT!!

Using ur example ie owning a studio out of season, so called , with DaE...you could get a 2 bed sleep. 6.

During School Holidays..Subject to Availability, with a smaller exchange FEE!!

Carolinian

Will - IMHO the off season small studiio is probably valued about right at 19. Where RCI is cheating its members is giving only 17 for a deposit when they are charging 19 for an exchange. I get your point about the rigidity of these points compared to the flexibility of DAE.

What is a complete travesty is the 2BR prime summer school holiday week.  If the other week is 19, that one should be much higher than 29 points lite.   Going back to the DAE conmparision, they would give two credits for a deposit of that week, allowing two exchanages for one deposit, a far better offer than a measly 29 points lite.

Morpheus

Quote from: Carolinian on September 25, 2011, 06:27:38
Will - IMHO the off season small studiio is probably valued about right at 19. Where RCI is cheating its members is giving only 17 for a deposit when they are charging 19 for an exchange. I get your point about the rigidity of these points compared to the flexibility of DAE.

What is a complete travesty is the 2BR prime summer school holiday week.  If the other week is 19, that one should be much higher than 29 points lite.   Going back to the DAE conmparision, they would give two credits for a deposit of that week, allowing two exchanages for one deposit, a far better offer than a measly 29 points lite.

Carolinian is right again.

I am betting that DaE is getting a flood of new members from RCI who are fed up with the poor service and high costs of the "RCI Experience" compared to what DaE offer. When I see how the RCI rip offs just seem to be so much worse with the new Points Lite system, I  can understand everyone's fury at the system. It is such a pity that RCI has so totally lost its focus these last years.

We joined RCI in 1984 and loved it, but these last few years the benefits of membership have fallen away and costs soared. We are now happily with DaE, and finally (blessedly) leave RCI at the end of the year.
Long time member of MORPS (www.morps.org) the RCI Points owners group.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

MaxwellSmart

How does RCI come up with their number values?  Do they publish some formula that we could look at to explain some of these very strange things?