Screwy numbers in the new ''enhanced'' RCI Weeks (aka Points Lite)

Started by Carolinian, March 15, 2011, 14:45:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolinian

Please report any weird numbers you come across in valuations of weeks in the new ''enhanced'' RCI Weeks, better described as ''Points Lite''.  This can be a number that is clearly too low or too high considering the supply / demand factors of the week, or it can be a pair where one is obviously out of whack with the other.

I will start with a pair in England:
studio in week 48 in ''The Old Barn Retreat'' (#BF43), a cottage that is a converted barn, offered by RCI at 21 Points Lite
versus:
Broome Park (Gold Crown) 2BR, week 29, where RCI offers 27 Points Lite for a deposit

If a studio in a barn in November is worth 21 points lite, then a 2BR in prime season in a real resort in a popular and hard to get area and in a Gold Crown, ought to be worth far more than 27 Points Lite.  It should probably exceed 50.

The valuation of this pair is clearly out of whack.

Edited to note that since posting this observation , the points lite required for this barn studio has dropped from 21 to 19, but still far too high in comparision.

Carolinian

Here's another one, which was reported a couple of months ago on the Timeshare Users Group boards.

Vacation Village at Parkway in Orlando, Florida - at the same point in time the trading power calculator was showing that RCI was giving 50 points lite for deposit of a 1BR week 52, and there were 1BR week 52's availible to exchange into for 10 points lite.

This is the resort that Bootleg, an RCI employee who used to post here and on other TS boards, identified as the resort with the biggest oversupply of deposits in the entire RCI system.  It is a mega resort in overbuilt Orlando, a nice place to go but just overbuilt in timeshare.  The fact that at the same point in time RCI would be offering 50 points lite for a deposit but only asking 10 points lite for a trade in to the very same unit type and week is really a red flag.   The developer of this resort is reputed to have an extremely cozy relationship with RCI and these valuations are a clear indicator of that.

flygirl

RCI did indeed give Broome Park what you call screwy numbers.  They did the same to Stouts Hill.

Carolinian

ajmace

I agree it is easy to criticise some of the trading power figures.

But you can use the anomalies to your own advantage!   Many trading power values seem to me to be too low and I am happy to take advantage of them. A recent example was a 2 bed at Stouts Hill beginning on Easter Saturday 2013 for just 17 'points'.  In this way I can get 8 or 9 weeks exchanges for my 6 weeks of timeshare.

My timeshares are all in the UK.   We seem to benefit greatly by being in general demand. I wouldn't want to be sitting on Canary Island or Costa del Sol weeks.

Carolinian

What if you were the one depositing that Stouts Hill week?  Would you be happy that you only got 17 points lite for it?

Someone at overpointed Vacation Villas at Parkway could have picked up three of those weeks.

Yet Stouts Hill is hard to come by, often not availible at all any week, while Vacation Village at Parkway always has an overabundance availible.

Most of the overpointed weeks, BTW, happen to be on the other side of the pond!

Quote from: ajmace on April 26, 2011, 16:13:05
I agree it is easy to criticise some of the trading power figures.

But you can use the anomalies to your own advantage!   Many trading power values seem to me to be too low and I am happy to take advantage of them. A recent example was a 2 bed at Stouts Hill beginning on Easter Saturday 2013 for just 17 'points'.  In this way I can get 8 or 9 weeks exchanges for my 6 weeks of timeshare.

My timeshares are all in the UK.   We seem to benefit greatly by being in general demand. I wouldn't want to be sitting on Canary Island or Costa del Sol weeks.

timesharerUK

English numbers generally on these new trading power points could be considered screwy.  There are some exceptions, but not many.

Carolinian

Here's another one I ran across:

Thunham Hall

studio, Jan 5, 2013 checkin, 15 points lite
2BR, Sept. 8, 2013 checkin, 20 points lite

The off season studio is probably about right, but the late summer 2BR is greatly undervalued. It should be more than twice what an offseason studio is valued at.

And this is a gold crown resort that gets only a trickle of online availibility.

What is a real ripoff for UK owners is comparing that late summer 2BR at a relatively hard to get resort with weeks in overbuilt places like Orlando where there is always a ton of inventory.

Carolinian

Here is an interesting thread on this subject from another board.  The OP was given only 26 points lite for a deposit that RCI wanted 47 to trade back into.  Talk about getting screwed!

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169414