ANFI - Cancellation due to mis-representation and false sales pitches!

Started by Kimm10, May 09, 2011, 15:33:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Timeflyz

Many Thanks for the Answer and the advice to cancel.

I really need to come back down to earth and speak seriously with My wife now that Holiday mode feeling has gone and get out before We are actually in!!!

I just hope the process to cancel goes smoothly

Regards to all  :)

Calvin

Quote from: Timeflyz on October 21, 2011, 11:09:16
Many Thanks for the Answer and the advice to cancel.

I really need to come back down to earth and speak seriously with My wife now that Holiday mode feeling has gone and get out before We are actually in!!!

I just hope the process to cancel goes smoothly

Regards to all  :)

If you get your cancellation in by, letter, email and fax (just to make sure) in time you should have no problem.

Leigh

Please can anyone advise me - my daughter and family returned home from Anfi and changed their mind re purchase - they paid an "upgrade" but are now being chased and hounded for the dif between £500 and £1600 pounds - I am querying why as they have a voucher for the upgrade? Any advice please as I just don't see the legality in this - it is a shame they liked the resort and would probably been happy owners in the future but of course, the true timeshare selling comes out and now they are all heartbroken.
Disappointing.

annie1610

I have been reading the posts with interest regarding whether Anfi take you to court or not, my husband has today received a phone call from Anfi advising that they are passing the matter through to their legal department and then advising that they will take us to court.   At no point in time have they given any constructive suggestions regarding payment - our circumstance have changed in recent months so we are no longer able to pay.   Also having thought back to the initial contract the deposit was taken off us straight away which I understand should not have been the case.

Obviously I'm very concerned about whether Anfi will take us to court and really need to know whether this is indeed fact (I cannot understand why nearly two years down the line they would take someone to court).   We do not own anything nor have they lent us money which we are having to pay back, so far they've had approx £10,000 out of us; we were advised that they would organise holidays for us but when we went to ask them about this we were told by the Vacation club that we had to organise these things ourself.

We changed our contract in February of this year in hindsight against our better judgement and were given a voucher for a week as we lost our week last year as we had not been told we needed to bank it.   When we spoke to Anfi about using the voucher we were told that we had to pay 20% of the contract before we could use it, every time we speak to them we seem to get conflicting information from them I'm now very disillusioned; does anyone have any updates about Anfi and court proceedings as I'm really starting to stress out.

Calvin

Quote from: Leigh on October 24, 2011, 11:54:29
Please can anyone advise me - my daughter and family returned home from Anfi and changed their mind re purchase - they paid an "upgrade" but are now being chased and hounded for the dif between £500 and £1600 pounds - I am querying why as they have a voucher for the upgrade? Any advice please as I just don't see the legality in this - it is a shame they liked the resort and would probably been happy owners in the future but of course, the true timeshare selling comes out and now they are all heartbroken.
Disappointing.

Hi Leigh,
Normally, if they have "upgraded" this is treated as a new contract so should be subject to the same rules as a new contract.
Under EU law NO deposit should have been taken whilst your daughter was on site, even for an alleged "upgrade"
If she wishes to cancel, which I assume means she will revert to her original ownership, she must do this in writing within the 14 day cooling off period

Calvin

Quote from: annie1610 on October 24, 2011, 12:06:17
We changed our contract in February of this year in hindsight against our better judgement and were given a voucher for a week as we lost our week last year as we had not been told we needed to bank it.   When we spoke to Anfi about using the voucher we were told that we had to pay 20% of the contract before we could use it, every time we speak to them we seem to get conflicting information from them I'm now very disillusioned; does anyone have any updates about Anfi and court proceedings as I'm really starting to stress out.

Hi Annie,
Write to one, or all, of the committee members for the part of the resort you own at. You should be able to get their names and email addresses from the Anfi.com website members Section of form the Anfi UK members Club website.

Give them all your details, explain the problem you are having and ask if they can approach anyone at the resort to get a correct answer for you.
I had a query last tear and Cotswolder went to site and sorted it for me. Unfortunately he is no longer a committee member there.

If you own at the Beach Club the committee members are at Anfi this week as they have their AGM on Thursday.

annie1610

Thank you for that information I will see what I can find from there, we are members of the Emerald Club and did receive something in the post just a couple of weeks ago for their AGM but I didn't know where to find the committee members information.

Leigh

Thank you - they have 'successfully' cancelled but are being threatened with legal action over this hotel stay.  They understood stay was complimentary and voucher does not detail any terms.  They are threatening to pass to legal team and I have invited them to do so and contact us with the jurisdiction and why the voucher does not, as indicated, cover the stay.

I have asked all correspondence to be in writing and no more phone calls as unhelpful and close to stalking.

Hopefully, the matter can now be closed down.  I worked in timeshare briefly in the 1980's for quite  reputable group
but had led myself to believe the industry had cleaned up it's act with regard to cooling off/misrepresentation etc but sadly it
would seem not so and Anfi do itself no justice - I understand from my family this resort is lovely and had it not been for this
sharp practice they would probably be future owners, thrilled with their purchase and happy to return year after year.
Saddening.

Calvin

Hi Leigh,
The resort is, indeed, lovely and it has been a joy to stay there during the past 16 years but this past 12 months has changed everything.
Anfi have become self obsessed and greedy and they are ruining their own slogan of "Living the Dream.

They are now "Killing the Dream" for many owners.

Anfi only see one thing when a customer crosses their portal - $£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$
Their main aim is to relieve you of as much of it as they can and, when they have you hooked, they will want more. >:( >:(

They are not bothered withcustomer satisfaction only money

annie1610

Following on from my post of yesterday regarding Anfi threatening to take us to court as my husband and I had told them we are no longer able to meet the payments due to my job being under threat of redundancy; following on from the advice given by Calvin I sent an email to all committee members for the Emerald Club and strangely enough Anfi have now been on the phone to my husband advising that they'll give us a four month break?!?  What they want us to do is sign a new contract for a further 84 months for the exact same amount but starting in 4 months time, they don't seem to have grasped the concept that in 4 months time the chances are I'm going to be worse off and the whole thing will start again.   In my eyes Anfi seem to be only interested in one thing and that is the "filthy lucre" and how to get their grubby little hands on it irrespective of our situation.   

I'm stressed out as it is with my job situation and the threats from Anfi of taking us to court and would like to know if anyone else thinks this may just be a tactic so that they can't be accused of being inflexible (I personally don't see this as being in any way, shape or form helpful just very irresponsible).

I might add that when Angela from the Anfi office rang my husband yesterday she had the affront to tell him that "if things were that bad then should we not be seeing a debt management councellor"!!!!!!  With an attitude like that I'm suprised they have any customers at all.

Any comments would be appreciated as I'm getting more stressed out as the days go by.

Michele Clark

Mu husband owns a timeshare at Anfi, bought this before i met him, recently had a problem with banking the week where they told us we were too late, although we emailed them back in Feb 11 they say they never got it and its too late now so tough!!  What a hassle trying to get someone to speak to, then they dont want to speak to me because my name is not on the contract "SPANISH DATA PROTECTION" The fact my husband is in the Navy and cant telephone them at the moment as he is away they dont care, so contact has been through email and its like hitting your head off a brick wall, they really dont care.  I have now got 2 peoples email to send them too and so far nothing!!

Its all fine when they want money but when you want something forget it,  I will be checking my husbands contract to see when they took his deposit as i believe that they are not allowed by LAW to take it immediatly and if they have you are entitled to claim double back from them.  I cant see how Anfi can take anyone to UK court when the contract is Spanish Law which is totally different, unless they are selling it on to a UK Debt company. 

You can add Oliver from Anfi vacations to the team with an attitude, basically told me that he wasnt interested in doing anything and tough because my name was not on the contract so he didnt even need to speak to me!!

annie1610

Hi Michelle
That sounds about right for Anfi, one of the many gripes we have with them is that we weren't told we had to bank our week so lost our week from last year. 
When we were there in Feb of this year part of the reason we were persuaded to upgrade was because the sales guy Alex Gregal said he would get us our week back in the form of a voucher - Anfi used to use these vouchers but no longer do as they've moved on (ha that's a laugh) he also told us not to worry about the conditions on the voucher because of them being outdated now.   This has turned out to be a further untruth as when we tried to redeem it we were told we couldn't as we hadn't paid 20% of the contract.  We were told by the same sales person when we were quite vocal about not knowing about banking the week that we had "apparently" brought a failing within the system to their directors attention and that they were going to change their procedure and advise those customers who had not banked their week before the end of August by email that they only had a short time to bank the week.   Guess that's something else they haven't bothered to introduce.   It just seems to re-iterate the feeling that more and more people seem to have about Anfi that they are only interested in money and how much they can get out of you.  As Calvin in an earlier post quite rightly said Anfi are "killing the dream" for a number of us.

I have yet to see the responsible side of Anfi rather than the money grabbing and arrogant/belligerent side of them, I would have recommended Anfi to anyone 10 months ago but now I would warn anyone off signing up with them, mine and my husbands experience with them in the past 3 months has obliterated any good feeling we once had.

Good luck with your dealings with them and I hope you achieve what you're aiming for....one more name to watch out for is Wayne Jowett as he has also proven to be an upleasant person to deal with unless things are going Anfi's way.

Michele Clark

Hi Annie,

You met good old Alex, was he sober this time?? He couldnt remember the 1st time her met us but we did because he was drunk and stinking of alcohol.  Something you never forget especially at 9am in the morning.  I have just had a message from Anfi on my facebok removing a post that i put there saying that it is all fabrication regarding Anfi being taken to court about misselling and taking deposits when they are not supposed too.  I have messaged back asking why take it down if its not true, no response yet though.  I loved going to Anfi but recently we have been put off with all the goings on and hate the pushy sales its spoils things.  If you say you are not interested they cut you off and basically throw you out the office.  When we told Alex that we werent in a position to do anything at the moment as we had just bought a house and got married, we were at Anfi on our honeymoon, he said oh right ok, goodbye. He was gone within minutes. 

I am the same as you would have told anyone to buy into Anfi but their maintenance fees have doubled over the years and their after service is shocking.  Its all about MONEY. Its such a shame.

Cotswolder

Quote from: Michele Clark on October 26, 2011, 09:15:31
I am the same as you would have told anyone to buy into Anfi but their maintenance fees have doubled over the years and their after service is shocking.  Its all about MONEY. Its such a shame.

Hi Michele,
This is one of the misconceptions with Anfi. They have not doubled the maintenance fees. The maintenance fees are suggested each year by the management but they are discussed and agreed by each committee. The constitution does not allow for them to be increased by more that Spanish Inflation and, in most years the increase is less.
There was NO increase two years ago and it is likely there will be NO increase this year.

As the resort is in Spain the maintenance fees were always calculated firstly in Pesetas then, from 2001. Euros. Those in the Eurozone have seen this steady increase, or not, over the years. We, in the UK however, saw a large increase a few years back. This was NOT due to Anfi raising the fees but to the fall in the value of the £ against the €.

On all other matters of Customer Service and increased costs, I do not and will not defend Anfi's actions as I think they are deplorable but in the matter of Maintenance Fees members need to get a grip of the facts and know who agrees them.

As has been published on another forum the fees at Monte, Gran and Emerald Club have NOT been increased this year. Beach Club had their budget meeting yesterday but I have not yet heard the outcome.

Added at 1709hrs. It is now confirmed that the maintenance fees for Beach Club & Puerto Anfi will NOT increase next year.
My thoughts are my own. Please do not use them without my permission.

Regards,
Cotswolder

Calvin

Great News. Happy to see that the committees are working well on behalf of the members to keep the fees down despite Anfi trying to increase everything else :-X

GraveZombie

In response to our previous post being called utter twaddle, I would like to say that the court action is very real.

Latest update:- Our latest letter about forms being missing that we were supposed to write our reply on, has been ignored and we were given a final date we had to reply by.  How can we reply if we don't have the forms!  We tried phoning them on the help line, we were told our message would be passed on. Another letter has also been sent by us.

We have a strong suspicion that this has nothing to do with Anfi and more to do with the Coventry courts being extremely rubbish.

If anybody knows more about time limits for court proceedings we would love to know about it as my partner and I know nothing about law.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Norm de Plume

Unfortunately the administration in many County Courts is not fit for purpose.  I have recently been awarded compensation against Exeter County Court!  All you can do is keep pestering them.
If you have found the advice I have given useful and I have saved you some money, perhaps you would like to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Charity, mentioning my name. (www.prostatecanceruk.org)

annie1610

It would appear that Anfi are becoming more aggressive in their desire to collect money from people even when it has been explained to them of a change in financial circumstances - they do not want to invoke the clause that advises that they can take back their week and cancel the contract.   

They are far more concerned about putting people under even more stress than they are currently under and collecting their cash....I know as my husband and I having come in from work today have a letter from Anfi advising if we do not pay the outstanding monies they will send the debt to their debt collection agency CBC International.   We have appealed to Anfi to take back the week and cancel the contract but they aren't interested, they have not offered us the opportunity of going back to a fixed week in one of the other clubs (we are currently in the Emerald) or maybe going back to a bi-annual week.

Any help that could be offered as to how we proceed would be appreciated as Anfi are quite clearly not interested in anything other than cold hard cash.

martyboy02

I have apologised privately to Grave Zombie and now do so publicly for any comment that may have caused offence.

Living in Scotland I legal system is somewhat different from the English and Welsh court/legal systems.

Several things do remain the same though.

When dealing with anyone remember to get thier name, date and time of conversation plus the content ( If you can record it do so, but warn them the conversation is being recorded). Keep copies of all correspondence received and sent. Send correspondence by recorded delivery. Find out what is admissable in evidence and start collecting the evidence. Remember the burden of proof is less in a civil case than a criminal case.

I will gladly stand up and court and state that Maria Hidalgo admitted to me that Anfi reps "exaggerate".

Oh, and most importantly get getting onto Anfi using all media means possible.
Survivor Of Anfi scammers, willing to help others

annie1610

All comments noted martyboy thank you.

We are currently making a comprehensive list of all areas of mis-representation/miss-selling if they will not let us out of the contract gracefully we have no option but to fight them.   I have to say this is doing nothing to curb my stress levels and I reiterate I would never recommend Anfi to anyone on the basis of the problems we are having.