club la costa

Started by carolyn1, August 10, 2011, 16:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

carolyn1

I have just signed up for the club la costa holidays.  I am worried that I have been conned!!  I am hearing of lots of bad stories of time share, this is advertised as a holiday club. and time share was mentioned...I signed up because it will save money on holidays in the long term.  Any one had any experiences with this company?

Suebe

What have you actually signed up for?  Have you joined their Trial membership scheme?  Are you in a 14 day cooling off period?  have you paid any money upfront?

Club la Costa does not necessarily offer cheap holidays - when you take into account annual fees etc. 

There is a website - www.clcmembers.co.uk - run by CLC owners where you might get information about Club la Costa. 

Sue B

carolyn1

Thank you for your reply.  Still in the fourteen day cooling period for the vacation club membership.  We have the trial membership already but havent used it yet.  We have to do the trial membership whatever happens but are now worried about the life membership.  We have signed all the forms etc for the full membership.  I will check out the web site.  Thank you. 

carolyn1

Thank you.. Been on the website for clc.  I asked a question there but was replied by the admin person.  I just want to speak to people who are starting out on the club la costa experience...or people who are regular members.  Not people who work there!!!  I wish I would never have started all this ...its such a worry. 

barca_boy

Carolyn,

If you bought as it saves you money andto trial it to see if timeshare can be good and work for you then do not worry! All I would say is if u do decide to purchase, always remember on the resale Market you get majority of the same benefits for a quarter of the price.

Enjoy your trial membership, let them treat you like royalty on your holidays to impress you and see if a product enjoyed by 9 million families worldwide is suitable for you.

You bought on emotion, justified it with financial logic and indeed have something that is A no obligation trial membership, so stop worrying, use it to the best of your ability and more importantly have fun!!!!!!

I don't work, and have never worked for club la costa, but I do love timeshare!

Carolinian

If you like the product, I would definintely look at cancelling the developer purchase and then buying resale for MUCH cheaper.

carolyn1

Thank you.. After another night of not sleeping with worry about it we are going to cancel the full membership using the 14 day cooling off period and see what happends on the trial, which we are legally bound to carry on with anyway.  I think this will be for the best.  We bought the full membership for just under fourteen thousand pounds, thats for 870 points (silver membership).  How much would this be without buying directly from clc? 
this really helps...thanks everyone!

wilsonjenny

Hi Carolyn1 - for £14,000 you can buy Diamond membership via the re-sale market for a lot less than that.  I am a diamond member and enjoy CLC, however, it is not the cheapest way of holidaying, when you factor in the cost of getting to the resort, air fares and food.  However, you do get good accommodation and flexibility.  It suits us as we do not like package holidays.  I would not recommend it if you have children as school holidays are hard to get unless you book a long way in advance.  Silver membership does not give you enough points for many of the resorts, and you will continually be pestered to upgrade whilst on holiday at CLC resorts.  If you still like the concept after the trial period ends, then go for it but not at CLC prices.

If you have any further questions, please ask.
Jenny

confusedabouttimeshare

Carolyn1......Welcome to the forum.  As has already been said the trial membership will give you an idea of the fantastic resorts on offer through CLC.  Of course whilst a trial member the resort will want to upgrade you at every opportunity however a resale purchase of CLC points can be a lot less on the pocket.  I will pm you some ideas of resale values just to give you some further info.   :)
Confused About Timeshare, The timeshare resale company

www.confusedabouttimeshare.co.uk

jerryg

Carolyn1 - The 'admin' person on the CLC members website you quote is, I think you'll find, the web site owner and is also a Club La Costa owner - as I am. Trawl through the site and you'll find all sorts of interesting information about CLC. (I have just terminated my membership and handed it back. The high  maintenance can no longer be justified on any grounds)
For your £14,000 you can have a lot of 'all inclusive' holidays, including flights, transfers etc. Timeshare and its latest offspring, call these schemes what you like, have had their day. You can book holidays at CLC resorts on the internet without being tied to membership and annual ever increasing maintenance fees. Take the trial, and any freebies though. Good luck!

carolyn1

Thank you everyone...this has been so helpful and eased my mind that we have done the right thing.  I will no doubt be talking on here again during our trial. Hope I can help someone else as you have all helped me!!!

annievee

Quote from: carolyn1 on August 10, 2011, 16:43:54
I have just signed up for the club la costa holidays.  I am worried that I have been conned!!  I am hearing of lots of bad stories of time share, this is advertised as a holiday club. and time share was mentioned...I signed up because it will save money on holidays in the long term.  Any one had any experiences with this       
Hi there, Myself and my husband have just finished paying for the trial membership £3.500 for 3 years, and my advice is do not touch this with a 10ft barge pole. we have had 2 holidays in that time, and a midweek break in cornwall end of november(should have packed bikini) we were in tenerife last november, which was supposed to be all flights and car hire included, but you still have to pay upfront for booking fees, airport taxes and accommodation, and not to mention the badgering of the salesman, as soon as you arrive a reception, your appointement is booked for salesman for 10am for breakfast, but beware, this is not a couple of hours, oh no, we were still there 6pm at night. If you have kids, its not fairon them. They make it sound so good which the accommodation is fab, but you are paying for it. all the complexes food restaurants are quite hefty in prices. costa del sol we were 18 euros each for breakfast(

Suebe

Quote from: carolyn1 on August 11, 2011, 10:33:57
Thank you.. After another night of not sleeping with worry about it we are going to cancel the full membership using the 14 day cooling off period and see what happends on the trial, which we are legally bound to carry on with anyway.  I think this will be for the best.  We bought the full membership for just under fourteen thousand pounds, thats for 870 points (silver membership).  How much would this be without buying directly from clc? 
this really helps...thanks everyone!

Hi ~Carolyn
You have definitely made the correct decision.  It does show how persuasive these sales people can be when, without even testing out the system via the trail week membership, you were persuaded to buy into their full membership.  On the CLC forum, there is a section where trial owners can post and also read other peoples' posts about their experiences.  CLC Vacation Club is an expensive product especially when you consider the resale values of the their points are very low.  Some owners who are trying to get out cannot even give their points away.  They are also finding that CLC charge very high transfer fees if you did find a purchaser - often hundreds of pounds.     In last year CLC have also been reducing the number of resorts available to their members - it would seem to be the resorts with lower values that are going - some members are thinking this may be deliberate to make members buy more points in order to get exchanges!!!!

There is also the question of the annual management fees that you have to pay which can also be very expensive and have been rising at a high rate over last few years.  Some owners are also having problems getting the exchanges they want within the CLC clubs.  There will always be a push for you to buy more points with CLC - sales reps will always be inviting you to breakfasts, etc. 

If you are thinking of getting into timeshare, take your time, do not get hooked in at presentations, and do your research.  There are a number of points systems - Diamond Resorts is one of them but there are pros and cons with this system.  RCI also have a points exchange system - see an owners forum www.morps.org/forum for more information.  There are plenty of resale companies.  There are also websites that give information about buying into timeshare and the pitfalls to avoid.
Sue B

elvis

Enjoy your trial..be prepared for hard sale tactics and do not take your cheque book or credt cards with you.
They will try to pressure you and make you feel cheap and small. I find all the sales people make out how successful they are.
Get out and buy your holidays elsewhere or even use their facilities via other holiday agencies. They are not exclusive as they make out. They actually rent out the apartments all year round.

You can buy CLC membership for nothing. You could have had mine !  I have just surrendered mine after 4 years. Wrote off the £12000 I paid, didnt get a penny back.  Maintenance fees were not mentioned, started at £245 and ended up last year at £512.
We could be never get the resorts we wanted and had to book over a year in advance. The rooms you actually get are never like the tasters they give you on the trial.

Cancel your membership.