Eating Out Los Amigos area

Mavo

« on: December 02, 2007, 14:52:48 »
We did not eat at Las Casitas on site but it seemed very popular and they served huge portions in the evenings,
El Greco also on site, round by the supermarket was often busy at lunchtimes but we did not try it.
 The Playa Marina Parade, next door to Los Amigos, has much improved since we were last there and new eateries have sprung up.
 Baan Thai Restaurant is the first one you come across and we had a very nice meal in there with excellent service. There is then an Indian Restaurant and a Chinese neither of which we tried as they never had many customers which I took as a sign to stay clear. Many ex pats live in the complex next door so restaurants filled with customers are not just a sign of attractive frontages but a sign of quality and value.
 We never used the fish and chips shop or the Sports Bar but did see a man eating a huge breakfast at the Sports Bar. It was served on what can only be described as a huge oval meat plate. I went to the internet cafe and when I passed him half an hour later on the way back he seemed to have made little impression on this breakfast as the plate seemed to be still full.
 Further along the parade is the most popular eatery on there, a Spanish restaurant, I cannot remember what it was called though (something like El Taji?). Very popular and probably best to book as we did see people turned away one evening. They had a great variety of quality food on the menu. We ate their 3 times and never had a poor meal between the three of us.
 The final one we ate at was at the very end of the parade, an Indian restaurant called the Indian Ocean.
 Normally the Indian food abroad is not a patch on the Indian food in the restaurants here in the UK. The Indian Ocean is the exception to this. All starters and main meals were pronounced as good as anything we had ever tasted in the UK.
 One small word of warning re the meal called Red Divil.
 Either do not go there or when the waiter asks you "innocently" if you want it spicy, just decline. I nodded my head to the spicy question and landed myself with something hotter than the hottest phaal I have ever tasted and it is difficult to hold a conversation when one can no longer feel ones lips to the degree that only strange noises are coming out of ones mouth.
 However, there was strangely no afterburn the following morning for which I was extremely grateful, as were my wife and daughter.

Slaley2001

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 16:00:59 »
Hi Tom

On a recent visit, we ate at the Chinese Restaurant, the fish and chip place and in the sports bar in addition to some of the ones which you mentioned. They were all good especially the chinese, which we visited twice (it was fairly busy on both visits). The Indian left us with a condition best not described on a public forum save to say that it made playing golf the following morning a bit of a challenge!

The sports bar is great for football fans. He has multi screens and shows loads of premiership and international matches. Like me, the owner is a Man Utd season ticket holder.

David
www.escrowagent.co.uk

Mavo

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 16:35:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Slaley2001

Hi Tom

On a recent visit, we ate at the Chinese Restaurant, the fish and chip place and in the sports bar in addition to some of the ones which you mentioned. They were all good especially the chinese, which we visited twice (it was fairly busy on both visits). The Indian left us with a condition best not described on a public forum save to say that it made playing golf the following morning a bit of a challenge!

The sports bar is great for football fans. He has multi screens and shows loads of premiership and international matches. Like me, the owner is a Man Utd season ticket holder.

David
www.escrowagent.co.uk

Hi David
I would have loved to visit the Sports Bar and watch a bit of football but we were with our daughter who had escaped from her husband for the week so we had her to ourselves so I was a good lad and stayed away from the screens.
 We were slightly put off by the two youths who seemed to be always slouching around the door of the Chinese so we stayed away and so did many others as we never saw more than two tables occupied.
 Fish and chips, well they are so numerous where we live that the thought of eating them abroad never crossed our minds.
Just like you before us we had great weather with sunshine all day every day apart from our arrival day (Saturday) when it rained for a few hours.
 Man U. I wonder how many season ticket holders live within 20 sq miles of Old Trafford? [}:)][;)]

Offline Rorytiger

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 15:48:57 »
There is a superb curry house up at Playamarina the end nearest Thai restaurant - yes the curry there was as good as any other that I have eaten - The portion sizes were adequate especially special biryani easily enough for 2 persons as a main course.  The place was very clean and the service excellent - the food was freshly prepared and served piping hot.
Rory the Tiger