RCI exchange fees go up Nov. 1 in US; will they in UK?

Started by Carolinian, October 15, 2012, 19:57:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolinian

RCI affiliated resorts in North America have been notified that RCI exchange fees will go up another $10 effective Nov. 1.  That likely means a comparable increase in Europe about the same time.

The resort that received this is a ''Weeks'' resort.  Sometimes the Points fees change at a slightly different time.

Any RCI users who get a request in before a change have, I think, in the past kept the old rate for the exchange fee, but there is no guarantee of that.

Suebe

I have heard from other RCI members that fees have gone up in Europe (both for points and weeks exchanges) but not sure by how much.  The problem is that RCI have not informed RCI members of any increases - we used to get letters (in advance) to inform of transaction fee changes.  RCI seems to prefer email contact nowadays but nothing has come through via emails!!! 

Not particularly good customer service!!

Sue
Sue B

Willself

SADLY SUEBE!!

WHATs  NEW!! RCI  were like that 12 years Ago!! to the best of my memory ! now senile!! :o   LOL

DaE.  have increased  there exchange  fees..over the last 10 years!! by NO  more than 10.Pounds!!..ie..about 1.00.pound. P.A.!!

glyndav

RCI points exchange fee for 2011 was £87, in 2012 it increased to £143, now we are told that this years fees are only being increased by inflation level the charge for 2013 is £204 now thats some increase in inflation !!! needless to say it,s goodbye to RCI from us after many years.

Anisa

Hi there, Is the £204 inclusive of the annual administration fee and the reservation fee. I ask this because I pay annual administration fee of £75 (I think), and when I book a resort then I am required to pay  a reservation fee of£104. Up until this year I was paying one reservation fee regardless of whether I was booking a resort for one week or two weeks.  I have recently discovered that RCI are now charging reservation fee of £104 for each week for the first two weeks. I am getting very frustrated with RCI, and am desperately looking at how I can get out of this company which has no regard for its members. 

Any body have any suggestions? Has any body heard of RTX resort travel and exchange company, and whats it like?
Can any one please tell me if one has to pay a large sum of money to move from RCI to another travel exchange company?

Morpheus

Quote from: Anisa on January 09, 2013, 00:22:03
Hi there, Is the £204 inclusive of the annual administration fee and the reservation fee. I ask this because I pay annual administration fee of £75 (I think), and when I book a resort then I am required to pay  a reservation fee of£104. Up until this year I was paying one reservation fee regardless of whether I was booking a resort for one week or two weeks.  I have recently discovered that RCI are now charging reservation fee of £104 for each week for the first two weeks. I am getting very frustrated with RCI, and am desperately looking at how I can get out of this company which has no regard for its members. 

Any body have any suggestions? Has any body heard of RTX resort travel and exchange company, and whats it like?
Can any one please tell me if one has to pay a large sum of money to move from RCI to another travel exchange company?

We left RCI two years ago - a blessed relief I can tell you.

We had weeks ceded to Points so had to give them a year's advance notice, but I think Weeks owners just tell them they are leaving and that is that.

We went to Dial an Exchange (the DaE that Willself mentions above). Free to join (though we took the three year Gold Advantage at about £85) and sensible exchange fees. Far lower costs, total transparency, very nice people and good exchanges if you plan (we have three weeks in sunny Australia in March for example).

They do not have the same inventory as RCI - but as people increasingly flee RCI's costs, I bet DaE keeps growing!
Long time member of MORPS (www.morps.org) the RCI Points owners group.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

Carolinian

glyndav

No Anisa it does not include the membership fee, if you start adding everything up now ie resort maintainence, air fares, rci membership plus reservation fee it,s much cheaper to book an all inclusive holiday to a 4 star hotel, I've just booked 2 wks in Sharma el sheik for £870 a saving of about £300 plus no food or drink or transfer costs that you have in an apartment.

Anisa

Thank you for your information.
I can imagine it being much cheaper to book an all inclusive holiday.  Owning a resort had its benefits once upon a time!!!
Can I ask how you got out of RCI, and if you had ownership of a resort how you got yourself out of this as well?
I am seriously looking at getting out of both RCI and ownership of a resort its too costly now a days.

Carolinian

Anisa - Why not just try one or more of the cheaper independent exchange companies?

Getting out of RCI is easy - just stop paying their membership fee.  If you have exchange deposits, you will need to use them before the membership runs out.

Anisa

Thank you Carolinian,

My situation is that I receive 65,000 points every year which RCI administer. Currently I have 100,000 points from previous year(s) which will expire by end of Sept 13.  I need to book a resort (for 2 weeks) via RCI before they knock them off my account. I have just discovered that if I book a resort for two weeks RCI want me to pay £214 for the reservation.  I guess I will have to go ahead with booking a resort so I don't lose the points.
Can I ask if I decide to go to Interval Exchange or DAE would they then start administering my future yearly points?

Carolinian

DAE, II, UKRE, and SFX are weeks-based systems.  You would have to take your week out of RCI Points and reconstitute it as weeks-based.  Some on these boards have done that.  I believe Morpheus is one of them.  Perhaps they can give you the details of how to go about it.

Quote from: Anisa on January 11, 2013, 18:23:17
Thank you Carolinian,

My situation is that I receive 65,000 points every year which RCI administer. Currently I have 100,000 points from previous year(s) which will expire by end of Sept 13.  I need to book a resort (for 2 weeks) via RCI before they knock them off my account. I have just discovered that if I book a resort for two weeks RCI want me to pay £214 for the reservation.  I guess I will have to go ahead with booking a resort so I don't lose the points.
Can I ask if I decide to go to Interval Exchange or DAE would they then start administering my future yearly points?

Morpheus

Quote from: Carolinian on January 11, 2013, 21:12:51
DAE, II, UKRE, and SFX are weeks-based systems.  You would have to take your week out of RCI Points and reconstitute it as weeks-based.  Some on these boards have done that.  I believe Morpheus is one of them.  Perhaps they can give you the details of how to go about it.

Quote from: Anisa on January 11, 2013, 18:23:17
Thank you Carolinian,

Yes, I took our four weeks out of Points.

You call RCI and they send you a form for this. They do seem to need called two or three times about it, based on my experience, so perhaps they don't like folk doing this.

Fill in and return the form then check they receive it!

You do need to wait a year, they claim, from date of receiving the form before your points are back in weeks (though I know many people who had that condition waived).

Then - as long as you have not banked the weeks, which is unlikely - join DaE or whoever and put the weeks in their system.

Then, simply call RCI when your membership comes to an end and tell them you are not renewing but leaving (then have the barrage of "offers" which save you precious little.

It is simple enough really - get a form, complete it, return it and you are out of Points. Do not renew RCI membership at renewal date and spend your savings on flights or whatever.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

Anisa

Thank you for that information Morpheus.

I have spoken to RCI and they are sending me a form. Also they said I cant change my points into weeks!!!
As you said they are saying it will take a year from the date they receive my signed form back, can you suggest/recommend how I deal with this.

Everyone please help with a new issue I now face.  I have discovered from RCI that the resort I bought into has from Jan 2013, reduced the number of points I receive to less then half.  I have spoken to my resort and have been told that a letter has been sent to me last week explaining why they have done this.  I am absolutely gutted to say the least about this.  This cuts my chances of extra/big vacations down to nothing!!!
Has anyone had this experience and what did you do about this?

Morpheus

Quote from: Anisa on January 14, 2013, 17:21:54

I have spoken to RCI and they are sending me a form. Also they said I cant change my points into weeks!!!
As you said they are saying it will take a year from the date they receive my signed form back, can you suggest/recommend how I deal with this.

Everyone please help with a new issue I now face.  I have discovered from RCI that the resort I bought into has from Jan 2013, reduced the number of points I receive to less then half.  I have spoken to my resort and have been told that a letter has been sent to me last week explaining why they have done this.  I am absolutely gutted to say the least about this.  This cuts my chances of extra/big vacations down to nothing!!!

Apparently if you tell RCI that you have sold the week they will release it to you immediately. You cannot commit a buyer to ceding it after all (though perhaps a bit of negotiation is required).

The resort slashing the number of points you get has NO impact if you are in DaE for example, as they view a week as a week (with very rare exceptions). And a week trades for a week, regardless of unit size or season, so much more transparent than mythical "trading power" and random numbers of points.
Experienced timesharer

Anisa

Morpheus, I can't say I have sold a week as I don't have weeks to sell/exchange, I only have points which RCI administer. What can you suggest?

Now that my resort has slashed my points I suspect I would probably get less weeks when I convert my points to weeks, who knows!!!!

lawnmower60

It does not matter if they double or half the points you will still own a week
Brian

Alfie

I have a floating week system that I would like to get rid of , I have three weeks which we were sold in the St Frances marketing Mis selling.
Very naive I know but I am now scared of all the advice out there as any way out through these companies seem a scam .
Any advice from genuine TS owners  not TS companies please

Suebe

This thread seems to have gone off topic.  Below are the latest fees for RCI Points members - it is cheaper to book exchanges online, and RCI Weeks exchanges are cheaper than for RCI Weeks members.

RCI Points Fees 2013
(valid from 1st December 2012)

Annual RCI Points Membership Fee £85
Annual RCI Points Membership Fee - Direct Debit £77
Annual RCI Points Membership Fee -
Composite (with no weeks membership) £374
Annual RCI Points Membership Fee -
Composite (with current weeks membership) £289

Call Centre Exchanges
Home Week Reservation No Charge
Home Resort Reservation £51
Home Resort Group Reservation - 8 nights or more £208
Home Resort Group Reservation - 5-7 nights £104
Home Resort Group Reservation - 4 nights or less (per night) £23
Standard Reservations - 8 nights or more £214
Standard Reservations - 5-7 nights £107
Standard Reservations - 4 nights or less (per night) £24
RCI Weeks European (per week) £107
RCI Weeks International (per week) £107

Online Exchanges
Home Resort Grp Reservation - 8 nights or more £198
Home Resort Grp Reservation - 5-7 nights £94
Standard Reservations - 8 nights or more £204
Standard Reservations - 5-7 nights £97
RCI Weeks European (per week) £97
RCI Weeks International (per week) £97

Points Partner Reservation £107
Points Partner Amendment fee £15

Guest Certificate £37
Auto Saving Points £26
Transferring Points £48
Borrowing Points No charge
Member Rental Points - per point £0.0100

Points Extension
Points Extension for 12 months
Minimum fee for all transactions =<30,000 points £25
Fee for all transactions of >30,001 points £50

Permanent Transfer of Points to Non-Member £263
Permanent Transfer of Points to Existing Points Member £76
Late Payment Surcharge £30
Sue B

Suebe

Quote from: Anisa on January 14, 2013, 17:21:54

Anisa

When you joined RCI Points did you cede a timeshare week into the points system in exchange for your 65,000 annual points?  If you did so, you can uncede that week from the points system (by completing the form from RCI).  You still own that week and have presumably been paying annual maintenance to your resort. When you uncede a week, the points you receive will no longer exist and your timeshare week(s) will revert to a week for week exchange system.  You have to use any existing points (from this year and previous years) before the end of your 12 month surrender period or they will expire when you membership stops.

If you also bought additional points when you first joined RCI Points (sometime known as pure points and more recently Next Generation or NX points), then all you can do is surrender these back to RCI if you no longer wish to use them and want to get out of RCI points (again 12 months notice and these will be shown separately on the form that RCI sends you).

You don't mention which resort you own at, only that RCI has halved the points value of your week(s).  This does happen at times but only usually when a resort has been downgraded in the RCI system, eg from Gold to Silver Crown or all the way down to Standard.  I would have thought that they would have contacted you about this before this happening.  In the same way, resorts that have improved may well get their points values increased.
Sue B