How to sell/dispose of your timeshare?

Sandy Grey

Re: How to sell/dispose of your timeshare?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 16:15:51 »
Confidential advice circulated amongst leading timeshare developers  disclosed that many of the  contracts for the  sale of timeshare in  Spain failed to comply with specific requirements in Spanish consumer legislation.     As such, these contracts were null and void and therefore unenforceable.

Traders who were privy to this major weakness in their marketing chose to avoid taking legal action against non-paying owners in case such action disclosed this weakness to a wider audience.

As ever more Spanish lawyers identify this contractual flaw  it may not be possible for traders to keep their secret for much longer.

Sandy Grey

Offline charlie1

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 17:43:53 »
Tresco Timeshares Isle of Scilly

Trescos guarantee to buy back your timeshare week from you any time after 4 years and before 15 years for the full purchase price (no deductions). There are no timeshare salesmen.
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Offline eneri

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 14:13:42 »
I agree with Carolinion there’s a lot of couple’s that escaped from the traditional timeshare presentation for whatever reason and know a little about the concept. The great news is that the holiday marketplace is massive and Timeshare is only a small part of this. The holiday Industry is a multibillion-dollar Industry. How many people take holidays?

How many holidaymakers would want to take more holidays if shown how to use timeshare effectively and owned the right product to suit them, especially if they were guided to an Exchange Company that suited their holiday style without being steered because of commissions.

Non-timeshare owners would not believe that you could obtain quality accommodation for the price of one night in a quality hotel through a bonus week. Not all exchange companies have last minute bonus weeks theres one Exchange Company that has members who have taken bonus weeks at 9 months!, if timeshare owners have done there homework they will agree a little knowledge goes along way.

I realise a lot of ground has been covered in this thread and it has moved on somewhat. However most people involved in timeshare and using exchange companies probably know the advantages of bonus weeks /getaways etc. That is not the problem. It's the trouble people have with their original timeshare weeks/points that gives disgruntled timesharers (and maybe potential new owners) the most cause for concern. Untill the timeshare industry as a whole faces up to its responsibilities and cleans up its act, then I don't think that encouraging people to buy into timeshare because of (what is after all) a peripheral sideshow is the way forward.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 14:22:56 by eneri »

Willself

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 15:25:28 »
eneri.  Dear Friend..

Thats like saying never buy a new car...because once out of the show-room!! it looses Xpounds!! its expensive to insure..Fuel rises year on

year you have to pay Road - Tax...the car needs servicing...OMG!!  its better 2 go by Bus!!  Those statements are TRUE!!  but that does not

prevent people from buying CARS!!...You can buy!! T//Share at 1.Pounds..pay less than 200 Pounds maintenance!!...Holiday 52..Weeks a year

But you call that....A PERIPHERAL  SIDESHOW!!...my dear friend Having SOLD t/s for 20 years!!  YOU ARE HAVING A LAUGH!!......RIGHT....LOL

Offline charlie1

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 16:07:54 »
Hi Eneri

We been getting off thread a little as this was initially created for those that for what ever reasons are unhappy with their timeshare. This is just there to kick around a few ideas that would enable those who want out to consider other avenues as well as the Resale Companies to dispose or sell their timeshare. Especially those that are life style challenged.

It still boils down to the fact that if you own the right product and do a little research and link up with the right Exchange Companies to suit your holiday style, timeshare works very well. To my experience most disgruntled timeshare owners bought the wrong product to begin with. They just went for the salespersons patter without any research and reached for their credit card after meeting a stranger after just a few hours and handed over thousands! Some still do that and have a happy accident and buy on the day and then go on to research to work with an Exchange Company or two that works for them.

If I was a new points owner I would research to find studios in my country of residence in a resort that I was likely to visit now and then and buy in school summer holiday time (I would not be using the week personally, but just what its trading power would give me). Thats high points for a low maintenance, you can pick them up now for peanuts.

What about depositing that UK studio in summer school holiday time with UKRE. UK Resorts Exchange guarantee to give you two UK weeks or two weeks abroad for any sized UK week you own in July or August. So your July studio week can get you two weeks but outside of school holiday time. What about Dial An Exchange if you own a two bed in a lot of countries worldwide in summer school holiday time you get 2 for 1, again outside of school holiday time. There is no upgrade fees either with Dial An Exchange and no seasons 'a week is a week' regardless of size of apartment and the time of the year. What about SELECT members with UKRE their exchange fees are only £50! Have you researched SFX and it goes on. A little education goes a long way, I will start a thread soon on RCI Points and how this could be made to work. Review the thread http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php?topic=17346.msg52756
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 16:47:49 by charlie1 »
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Offline charlie1

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 17:32:10 »
Timeshare: initial high purchase price + maintenance fees + in some cases in-perpetuity contracts = lots of money wasted, poor resale values and being tied down to contracts and agreements. 

Yes agreed if you do all of the above and make an impulse purchase with no real research timeshare is unlikely to work for you. Thats the main problem with most unhappy timeshare owners. They did not do their homework. Some of us put more effort into buying a car or a new kitchen unit.

Those who bought poorly and made bad decisions can only try to make the best of what they got and do a little research or get out. For some timeshare owners it was made even worse as their club/resort moved the goal posts.

For those looking at buying timeshare you have to appreciate that when buying timeshare the salesperson in front of you will usually only have one product to sale you and is more than likely just going to promote to you the exchange company the resort is affiliated too.  The salesperson will try to make this fit your holiday style. This may not necessarily be right for you though. Timeshare is a great concept but you have to own with the right product that can cater to suit your holiday style! So a little research is important before you consider timeshare or additional timeshare products.

To come out of timeshare for your reasons is easier said than done for some timeshare owners as some resorts or groups make it very difficult for their members to leave. Thats a very false economy, they should be working towards real solutions for their members. Thats why this thread was created to see if something might come out of this, that might work for someone. Some of the ideas might create a little work and selling your timeshare may seem more like a project. Others don't want the hassle of trying to sell their week so they wait to see if someone else will do this for them. Thats down to a Resale Company or your Resort/Club and some of those just play a lip service to your request.

This is all a work in progress and has been for years as some resorts shrug their responsibility of looking out for their members. Those resorts will have no lasting future if they don't adapt to the 21st century. Customer service?

With the Internet news travels fast and some resort weeks would not be worth the £1.00 on EBay if it has a high maintenance, is restrictive not allowing you to access other exchange companies. No real exit strategy, and has a poor trading value. What has been their past maintenance fees and supplements requested. Its not difficult if you know what to look for and ask.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 17:17:30 by charlie1 »

Offline charlie1

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 21:09:45 »
Yes agreed if you do all of the above and make an impulse purchase with no real research timeshare is unlikely to work for you. Thats the main problem with most unhappy timeshare owners. They did not do their homework. Some of us put more effort into buying a car or a new kitchen unit.

You may be right about some people but don't try and tell us we are all idiots who don't know how to spend our money. 

A lot of resale and direct timeshare buyers pontificate about how clever they were to buy timeshare.  They don't look too clever to me, they all bought into maintenance fees and other people's rules and regulations.  In lots of cases the resale buyers don't enjoy the full benefit package (if you can call it that) that was available to the original timeshare owner.  Why buy into all this crap when you can organize your own holidays, totally free of any of the problems associated with timeshare.  The majority of holiday-makers are not timeshare owners - that should tell you something.

Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water with me.  For 30+ years I have lived and worked all over the world. I've also taken holidays all over the world and enjoyed some great times. The timeshare experience, which nine years ago I foolishly got myself involved with, didn't prove to be any better than any other holiday experience and it certainly proved to be the most expensive and troublesome.

We all make mistakes in life; its how we deal with them that defines us. Some people just gravitate towards the negative others learn from it and try to make the best of where they are now.

We all see what we want to see, you will notice there is nowhere that I stated that everyone was idiots. I said that some of us put more thought into buying a car. You are just are so full of resentment towards timeshare that you’re only ever see timeshare in the negative and that will be seen in your postings.

I had a poor experience after a car crash, my wife thought she was upgrading our car policy and did not review the new car policy properly. It cost me a lot of money so don't get me started on car insurance. i might just have a different out look than someone else who never had a problem. I had a relationship that cost me two properties! We all make mistakes. 

I recognise that not all is rosy in the garden of timeshare as you will note in some of my past postings and that’s why this thread was created for good people like yourself to help you exit timeshare. Hopefully in time someone will come up with a simple method that would assist you. Who knows perhaps in time you may resonate with a future idea posted on this thread.

It is just my opinion that most timeshare owners that have been unhappy with their timeshare for a number of years is that they probably bought on impulse on the day for whatever reason. They did not do a little research and identify the right product for them. They were sold by the salesperson.

In an ideal world there should be a simple online course for prospective timeshare owners priory to getting involved in timeshare. The salesman have courses on how to sale, the prospective timeshare owner should have one on how to buy. That would be interesting

We are all governed by rules and regulations in most things in life, holidays are not immune to this.

Those who do a little research and see that if they buy a certain timeshare and they miss out on a certain benefit because they bought the timeshare Resale and that benefit is important to them. Then they simply buy somewhere else.

I don’t personally have problems with timeshare I do a little homework before I holiday not just on the resort but also on the area. It hardly takes anytime. If I have a little experience then I will try to share this as a lot of posters do. Not everyone will agree with everyone because were all different and whats important to me on a holiday may not be to someone else.

I have also traveled extensively and not had any real dramas, certainly not anything that could not be put right.

Due to our past experiences in timeshare we just see things differently that’s all.

Offline eneri

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 22:14:14 »
eneri.  Dear Friend..

Thats like saying never buy a new car...because once out of the show-room!! it looses Xpounds!! its expensive to insure..Fuel rises year on

year you have to pay Road - Tax...the car needs servicing...OMG!!  its better 2 go by Bus!!  Those statements are TRUE!!  but that does not

prevent people from buying CARS!!...You can buy!! T//Share at 1.Pounds..pay less than 200 Pounds maintenance!!...Holiday 52..Weeks a year

But you call that....A PERIPHERAL  SIDESHOW!!...my dear friend Having SOLD t/s for 20 years!!  YOU ARE HAVING A LAUGH!!......RIGHT....LOL

Willself
I gave up a long time ago trying to understand your confusing analogies and we'll just have to accept that a timeshare salesman and a timeshare victim aren't going to agree on very much. That said, I'm sure that if I had the time, money and inclination I could holiday "52 weeks" a year without  so much as thinking of timeshare or maintenance fees. However you seem to have missed my main point which is that before you can enjoy the wonderful benefits you keep expounding you need to own a timeshare. Now wouldn't you agree that that is where nearly all the problems arise, going by what we read on this forum and elsewhere. All I was saying in my first post was that people shouldn't be encouraged to buy into timeshare just because of the extras they might find are available. It was in this light I called it a "peripheral sideshow", so no, I'm afraid I wasn't "HAVING A LAUGH" ;)

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 23:07:16 »
If you buy from a developer, you will indeed have a high initial purchase price.  I think the industry average is that 60% of the purchase price of a week from a developer is marketing costs, so only 40% represents the developers profit, sales commission, and the actual product.

If you buy resale, you can buy much cheaper, with the eBay bargain basement sometimes pennies on the dollar (or pound).  I have never bought through eBay myself, but the most I have ever paid for a timeshare week is the very first one I bought, for US$2,000 back in the 1990s.  Every one I have bought since has been cheaper.  They have all been resale, and that includes purchases in two European countries including the UK, the US, the Caribbean, Australia, and South Africa.  Most have been high season weeks.

As to maintenance fees, if you are at a member-controlled resort, fees are more reasonable, and you do not have a developer padding them for its own profit.

When I have adjusted my timeshare portfolio, the only week I have lost money on when I sold it was my Australia week, and that one I was trying to get out the door quick before the Oz dollar gained any more on the US dollar, and consequently raised my m/f.  I only lost about 20% on that one. Due to working in Europe, I have been renting out our summer NC beach week for the last five years and have made enough profit from rentals to more than cover what I paid for it.  The key is as much how you buy timeshare as how you sell it.

The key is to educate yourself before buying.  Unfortunately, developers try to push impulse buying, at a high price, and many people buy something that does not work for them and pay way over the odds for it.

Some developers still in sales do indeed limit perks to resale buyers, which is just another reason that I only buy at member-controlled resorts.  Members are not going to play those silly games with other members.

I would quite agree with you that some timeshare is crap, but you overlook that fact that much of it is NOT.  I am sorry if you got stuck with one of the bad ones at a bad price.  Educating people to tell the difference is one of the positive things that this site can accomplish.

Timeshare: initial high purchase price + maintenance fees + in some cases in-perpetuity contracts = lots of money wasted, poor resale values and being tied down to contracts and agreements. 

You can organize your own holidays in quality accommodation anywhere in the world by shopping around and making efficient purchases.  No maintenance - no in-perpetuity - no contracts - no worries about resale values - no timeshare sales rip-offs - no being bugged by annoying ****s of timeshare sellers who try and get you to upgrade - no angst - the list goes on!

So wtf get involved in timeshare? It's just not worth it.  I've done all the exchanges, taken friends away for cheap holidays and generally made the best of a bad job. BUT - I could have done the whole thing a lot cheaper if I had not bought timeshare.  We also take holidays that don't involve timeshare and have had some wonderful deals. 

This forum would be a very quiet place if everyone was happy with timeshare.  It's the unhappy ones with the bad timeshare experiences that keep the forum going and make it interesting!!  So sorry timeshare lovers but I think timeshare is crap!  Having said that, if you're daft enough to get involved in it, now is the time to buy - you'll get one on Ebay for 99p!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 23:16:00 by Carolinian »

Offline charlie1

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:50 »
I bought at Anfi which is a good resort.  It seemed like a good idea the time, quality resort with good exchange value.  It was a mistake as I have acknowledged in previous posts.  No, I didn't look into it very carefully at the time - normally I'm very careful how I spend my money, must have got carried away with the holiday atmosphere.  It's what I have experienced in the last few years that has put me off timeshare: 

- Anfi's increase in ownership transfer fees to 700 Euros.
- Anfi's charges for making the week available for renting and their general unhelpful attitude.
- Anfi Sales department zero effort and failure to sell on my week or give me any feedback. They charged me for putting it with their sales team (2 years ago), another way of getting money out of you. 
- The low or zero value of resale.
- My experience at the hands of Silverpoint's sales team (I didn't buy).
- Reading all the bad experiences of others.
- The timeshare industry is riddled with corrupt practices. Yes, certain organizations are trying to stop this, about 20 years too late of course.

I could go on and on but I won't.  If timeshare is for you - go for it.  I think it's crap! My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I am sure if I had shared your Timeshare expeirences with Anfi I might be using a stronger word than crap! Anfi has a good location and some well appointed apartments. Its a shame that Anfi never recognised that its real assett is the membership. Years ago other Developer owned resorts looked on at Anfi with envy from the outside it appeared a very succesful business. Anfi had a conveyor belt of sales going through at
top dollar with a very active sales force. When the sales started to drop off it appeared that the down turn in sales had to be made up somehow, so it looked as if they were squeezing what they could out of their membership in various ways.

If sales were dropping off they certainly did not want anyone just leaving. I never really understood from a developers point of view why a resort did not take weeks back especially with a salesforce in place. The damage is done now, but years ago they could have offered members wishing to sell their weeks out directly to existing members at discounted price. A perk to existing owners, this would have ensured that they did not end out in the Resale market and they continued to sell to new members.

Most resorts complain about the Resale Companies that devalue their stock. Well most resorts created that market by not supporting their members when for whatever reason they wanted to sell. They never looked at the bigger picture and just continued to sell and played a lip servive to members wishing to leave.

I know some timeshare owners who are very happy with Anfi, they go every year and love their holidays there. That may change if theres a reason for them to sell. They then also may share your opinion.

To my expeirence regarding Developer controlled resorts there seem to be fewer happy resorts. In todays climate those considering timeshare need to choose wisely and perhaps take note of Carolinians advice to consider those resorts that are member controlled. 

We are where we are, I would not hesitate to recomend timeshare as a great way to holiday, but ensure you get a little education first and not from the friendly salesperson. Forums like this is a great way to learn the ABC of timeshare.

Now back to the thread to see how we can support those who need to exit timeshare, has anyone any ideas or expeirences on how they managed to sell/dispose of their timeshare?

Offline charlie1

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 13:54:23 »
Part 1) What could a Resale Company do more to support my sale?

The Resale Companies all have pros and cons these are just my own observations on how I feel they could increase your sales opportunities.

1) Refer to the part in this thread Resorts part 2) If I was considering a purchase of a resort and I saw hundreds of weeks for sale at a particular resort on that Resale Companies website that would send alarm bells to me. Why do so many want to leave this resort? There could be legitimate reasons for this as I know of some resorts that the average age seems about 95!!

2) Some Resale companies literally allow one line to display and excite a prospective new client to purchase your week. That’s the week number, size of unit and purchase price. Then there’s usually a link to general information about the resort, with one or two images.

Why not allow a seller to upload their own images if they want to? Better still allow them access to a template that would allow them to put additional information about their apartment and resort. Perhaps where they have managed to exchange too. What’s local and popular to visit? A golf course with discounts, it’s a great family resort etc. Perhaps the owner has a banked week their prepared to give away or points. I could go on. It could be so much better.

The Resale Company could give out the usual disclaimers that this information is supplied by the owner

Perhaps the owner could add his or her own webpage to this with additional information.

3) The Resale Company should be more transparent with what’s been offered for their week like an estate agent. This is a very grey area.

Have you had a successful sale through a Resale company? Lets hear about it so you can share this with your fellow owners who are considering a Resale Company to promote their week.

Part 2) Resale Companies Ok we have decided that we don't want the hassle of trying to sell our timeshare privately. We want someone to do it for us and were considering a Resale Company. It can be confusing for the timeshare owner theres so many advertising and others cold calling you (apparently your on a 'List')

What should we be looking for in a Resale Company? What questions should we be asking? Anyone care to contribute?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 13:56:37 by charlie1 »

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 14:05:36 »
I would quite agree with you that Anfi as a developer has seriously abused its members in each of the items you mentioned.  Those are just unconscionable.  You can add an absurd extra fee to give your week to an independent exchange company, an outrageous and monopolistic abuse of members.

Based on abuse of power by the developer, I would totally agree with you that Anfi is crap, no matter how nice their resorts may be, and that is true of all weeks that are subject to this developer dictatorship.  But that does NOT mean that other timeshares, which are under either member control or even a more even handed developer are crap.

We are in total agreement about Anfi.  All prospective timeshare buyers should be warned to steer clear of them.  They are indeed crap.

I bought at Anfi which is a good resort.  It seemed like a good idea the time, quality resort with good exchange value.  It was a mistake as I have acknowledged in previous posts.  No, I didn't look into it very carefully at the time - normally I'm very careful how I spend my money, must have got carried away with the holiday atmosphere.  It's what I have experienced in the last few years that has put me off timeshare: 

- Anfi's increase in ownership transfer fees to 700 Euros.
- Anfi's charges for making the week available for renting and their general unhelpful attitude.
- Anfi Sales department zero effort and failure to sell on my week or give me any feedback. They charged me for putting it with their sales team (2 years ago), another way of getting money out of you. 
- The low or zero value of resale.
- My experience at the hands of Silverpoint's sales team (I didn't buy).
- Reading all the bad experiences of others.
- The timeshare industry is riddled with corrupt practices. Yes, certain organizations are trying to stop this, about 20 years too late of course.

I could go on and on but I won't.  If timeshare is for you - go for it.  I think it's crap! My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 14:12:04 »
If there is a timeshare specialist broker with a brick and mortar office in the area of the timeshare, I have found that these are the best bet.

If not, look to recommendations from reliable sources for a national or international broker.  The TCA is a reliable source for recommendations.

The Resale Companies all have pros and cons these are just my own observations on how I feel they could increase your sales opportunities.

1) Refer to the part in this thread Resorts part 2) If I was considering a purchase of a resort and I saw hundreds of weeks for sale at a particular resort on that Resale Companies website that would send alarm bells to me. Why do so many want to leave this resort? There could be legitimate reasons for this as I know of some resorts that the average age seems about 95!!

2) Some Resale companies literally allow one line to display and excite a prospective new client to purchase your week. That’s the week number, size of unit and purchase price. Then there’s usually a link to general information about the resort, with one or two images.

Why not allow a seller to upload their own images if they want to? Better still allow them access to a template that would allow them to put additional information about their apartment and resort. Perhaps where they have managed to exchange too. What’s local and popular to visit? A golf course with discounts, it’s a great family resort etc. Perhaps the owner has a banked week their prepared to give away or points. I could go on. It could be so much better.

The Resale Company could give out the usual disclaimers that this information is supplied by the owner

Perhaps the owner could add his or her own webpage to this with additional information.

3) The Resale Company should be more transparent with what’s been offered for their week like an estate agent. This is a very grey area.

Have you had a successful sale through a Resale company? Lets hear about it so you can share this with your fellow owners who are considering a Resale Company to promote their week.

Part 2) Resale Companies Ok we have decided that we don't want the hassle of trying to sell our timeshare privately. We want someone to do it for us and were considering a Resale Company. It can be confusing for the timeshare owner theres so many advertising and others cold calling you (apparently your on a 'List')

What should we be looking for in a Resale Company? What questions should we be asking? Anyone care to contribute?

Offline charlie1

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 14:29:47 »
This is worth a read If you want out of Spain, Canaries Balearics review your three options here as recommended by the TCA

http://www.timeshare.org.uk/spain.html

Please provide feedback on how this works out for you

Offline martyboy02

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 15:33:01 »
Hi charlie 1

Has:

http://www.timeshare.org.uk/spain.html [nofollow]

actually worked for anyone wanting out?

I got out of my Anfi contract by sheer dogged persistance. it took 2 years and I got all my money back and interest from BarclayCard and Barclay Partner Finance.

Anfi dont play by the rules, they refuse to speak to EU comsumer protection groups (Government Bodies), MEPs and any other parties. Anfi consider themselves above the law, and that is from experience of dealing directly with thier leagal department.

OOh and as a sideline the new head of the RDO is a former CEO of Anfi, who was in office when the number of dissatisfied customers started to increase.
Survivor Of Anfi scammers, willing to help others

Offline charlie1

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 16:07:28 »
Hi charlie 1

Has:

http://www.timeshare.org.uk/spain.html

actually worked for anyone wanting out?

I got out of my Anfi contract by sheer dogged persistance. it took 2 years and I got all my money back and interest from BarclayCard and Barclay Partner Finance.

Anfi dont play by the rules, they refuse to speak to EU comsumer protection groups (Government Bodies), MEPs and any other parties. Anfi consider themselves above the law, and that is from experience of dealing directly with thier leagal department.

OOh and as a sideline the new head of the RDO is a former CEO of Anfi, who was in office when the number of dissatisfied customers started to increase.

Hi Martyboy

The Link was directly from TCA website and it only went up today thats why I asked for feedback if owners followed through with this. I assume if anyone has any concerns they would contact the TCA direct.

Looks like you got a result with Anfi no doubt you have been posted by other Anfi owners or will be. Nice to see that the new head of RDO will be equipped to deal with Anfi complaints. No conflict of interest there then.

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 20:00:43 »
Spain, including the Canaries, seems to be the capital of bad timeshare, not that all timeshare there is bad but only that it is more likely to be bad there.  The UK seems to have much less bad timeshare, not that all timeshare in the UK is good.

I would quite agree with you that Anfi as a developer has seriously abused its members in each of the items you mentioned.  Those are just unconscionable.  You can add an absurd extra fee to give your week to an independent exchange company, an outrageous and monopolistic abuse of members.

Based on abuse of power by the developer, I would totally agree with you that Anfi is crap, no matter how nice their resorts may be, and that is true of all weeks that are subject to this developer dictatorship.  But that does NOT mean that other timeshares, which are under either member control or even a more even handed developer are crap.

We are in total agreement about Anfi.  All prospective timeshare buyers should be warned to steer clear of them.  They are indeed crap.

Yes! Stay away from Anfi!! I'm in the process of offloading mine - that makes me soooo happy!

Apart from this one, there are three active threads today - all three are about crap timeshare deals and bad practices!  There may be some good ones out there, but there seems to be a lot more that are crap! An industry made for crooks and driven by greed.  Apart from the good ones of course - it's not all bad, just most of it.

Offline charlie1

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 15:30:57 »

Lets make a start

1) Check out their trading history, is this a start up?.

2) Ask where will you be promoting my timeshare? (example newspapers, Internet, links to other websites, tv, marketing to your existing contacts etc)

3) How many other weeks are you displaying from my resort (to many and it looks a dodgy resort)

4) Are they asking for money upfront

5) Is there the opportunity for me to add images or further information (not sure if any allow this but it would help your sale)

6) I have points/weeks deposited that I could transfer to the new owner can you promote this? ( again not sure if any of them do this, but it would give you an edge)

7) Do you market to non timeshare owners? If so how?

8) Do you have articles educating prospective new owners how to use the RCI & I.I. and the Independent  Exchange companies?

I am sure that the experienced posters can add to this list and maybe suggest what you would like Resale Companies to do to make timeshare and your sale more attractive. Also I know that we have representatives of Resale Companies that visit this forum your input would be appreciated. If you represent a Resale Company are any of these suggestions not practical for you to implement and help the sale? If so why not?

If anyone has anything to add that might assist a sale or requires some advice post here as I am sure that someone on the forum may have some other options to consider 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 23:37:44 by charlie1 »