Sponsored Link

RCI Points Surrender

Offline LUWA1985

• View Profile
RCI Points Surrender
« on: April 08, 2013, 09:41:44 »
Hello all, first post on here, i hope you can help!

My parents had a time share with rci For a number of years. However, last year my father passed away unexpectedly, rapidly changing my mothers circumstances. The fees were paid for 2013, through help from her children - myself included. However, we are unable to continue helping her and i note that 1 years notice is required to cancel the membership.

My mother is not in a position to continue paying for the membership and i am not longer in a position to help out. If she were to cancel today, would she still need to pay the full membership for 2014? and would these points have to be used before April of next year (1 year from the date of cancellation)

As stated peviously, this would leave my mother in severe financial hardship, i have written to RCi and stated that this is the case, but their response was a copy and paste job highlighting the terms of cancellation.

Is there anyway out of this? the points would simply not be used next year as she is not in a position to take holidays.

Offline charlie1

• Supporting Member
    • View Profile
Re: RCI Points Surrender
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:07:43 »
That is the standard response from RCI 12 months notice is required. During that time your mother or her family can use the points in that period of time from 1 year of cancelation.
Thats one year from the date that the surrender form has been processed. Ensure you send this by registered post! If not follow this up with a call it has been known for post to go missing.

I have only heard of RCI in extreme circumstance allowing a member not to pay a final payment due.

I am sure that a couple of other experienced posters will confirm this or add to this.

Hello all, first post on here, i hope you can help!

My parents had a time share with rci For a number of years. However, last year my father passed away unexpectedly, rapidly changing my mothers circumstances. The fees were paid for 2013, through help from her children - myself included. However, we are unable to continue helping her and i note that 1 years notice is required to cancel the membership.

My mother is not in a position to continue paying for the membership and i am not longer in a position to help out. If she were to cancel today, would she still need to pay the full membership for 2014? and would these points have to be used before April of next year (1 year from the date of cancellation)

As stated peviously, this would leave my mother in severe financial hardship, i have written to RCi and stated that this is the case, but their response was a copy and paste job highlighting the terms of cancellation.

Is there anyway out of this? the points would simply not be used next year as she is not in a position to take holidays.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:22:06 by charlie1 »
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions in the Industry where required www.timeshareweekly.com

Offline LUWA1985

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:14:42 »
Many thanks for the response. So if i were to cancel today. Would i have to pay the entire maintance fee for 2014? That would be very difficult for us. I'd be even more reticent to do this if we only had up until April 2014 to use those points.

The membership fee i can live with, but the £1400 maintance fee would be hard to come by.

Offline charlie1

• Supporting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:37:10 »
Hi LUWA1985

I wil pm you

Many thanks for the response. So if i were to cancel today. Would i have to pay the entire maintance fee for 2014? That would be very difficult for us. I'd be even more reticent to do this if we only had up until April 2014 to use those points.

The membership fee i can live with, but the £1400 maintance fee would be hard to come by.
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions in the Industry where required www.timeshareweekly.com

Offline Suebe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 21:08:09 »

You say your parents own timeshare with RCI.  do they own weeks of timeshare that the transferred into the RCI Points system, or did they buy RCI Points?  If they own timeshare week(s) which they transferrred into RCI Points, you need to give notice to RCI that you want to get out of RCi Points, but you will also need to then contact the resort where weekes are owned to see if you can hand them back.

If it is RCI points that they bought, then the cancellation is with RCI.  I will PM you about this and may be able to help.  The staff at RCI call centre will only reiterate the standard response about 12 month surrender policy, but there are RCI Points directors who may be a bit more 'human' in their response to situation such as your mothers.

Sue
Sue B

GoogleTagged