Sale of RCI Europe?

Started by Carolinian, May 24, 2013, 00:06:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolinian

This issue was mentioned in the 7th post on this thread:

http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php?topic=17535.msg54183

I am wondering if RCI Europe will be sold and who will be the buyer?

The overall RCI organization is owned by Wyndham of the US, a spinoff from Cendant, which had purchased RCI from its founder Crystal deHahn in the 1990s.  Some of its geographical affiliates are company owned by Wyndham in the US, and others are franchises.  The last sale of a geographical RCI unit that I can recall, which was several years ago was from an independent owner to Cendant / Wyndham.

New owners can be either a plus or a minus.  RCI certainly went downhill from what it was under Crystal deHaan after Cendant took over, and that has continued downhill under its spinoff, Wyndham.

Carolinian

Morpheus

I wholly agree RCI went downhill after its initial sale.

It went from a market-leader to an increasingly complex outfit, with high charges, lowered service and the ongoing concerns about them renting OUR weeks to third parties rather than offer them for exchange. This one decision in large part killed timeshare for so many people as availability became a real issue.

I would hop it improves, but have not much hopes of that.
Long time member of MORPS (www.morps.org) the RCI Points owners group.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

Britsbest

Our time share developer, CLC resorts, has ditched RCI in favour of  Interval International .

Carolinian

Quote from: Britsbest on May 26, 2013, 14:00:06
Our time share developer, CLC resorts, has ditched RCI in favour of  Interval International .

Seasons did that back about the time RCI first started renting exchange deposits to the general public, and had a great special issue of their newsletter explaining RCI's malpracitices, not only with rentals but also with points to their members.  Too bad it has cycled off their site.  It the US, Fairfield and Worldmark ditched RCI for the same reasons about the same time, but RCI's parent, Cendant, bought both companies and brought them back to RCI.  Some independent resorts also ditched RCI, like Sloane Gardens Club in London, which moved all their exchange business to SFX when they ditched RCI.

Suebe

Quote from: Britsbest on May 26, 2013, 14:00:06

Not quite true.  This was what CLC have stated they are doing in an email I was sent:

For all new sales in CLC World clubs throughout the world we will enrol each purchaser associated with such sale as an Interval member. This will entitle those members to a host of year-round benefits including exchanging into quality resorts within Interval's global network.

CLC World has also selected Interval to provide reservation services to the members at its US based fractional club in Encantada resort, as well as a comprehensive package of other services, benefits and programs tailored to fit our members' needs.

Existing CLC World members affiliated to RCI Europe can be assured there is no reason to feel worried by this change as we have also continued our exchange agreement with RCI and members already enrolled can continue to exchange as before.

Interval membership is also available to existing CLC World members wishing to enrol with Interval.
Sue B

Carolinian

Sue, this is simply the way it usually works when resorts change exchange providers.  If someone has an existing account with one exchange company and the resort switches to another, those with the existing accounts can continue to use the old provider but new members cannot.  There are some exceptions.  I understand, for example, that Sloane Gardens Club no longer accepts RCI deposits by its members.  There are many examples of the usual practice, where those ''grandfathered'' in can continue to use the old exchange provider.

Quote from: Suebe on May 29, 2013, 19:26:44

Not quite true.  This was what CLC have stated they are doing in an email I was sent:

For all new sales in CLC World clubs throughout the world we will enrol each purchaser associated with such sale as an Interval member. This will entitle those members to a host of year-round benefits including exchanging into quality resorts within Interval's global network.

CLC World has also selected Interval to provide reservation services to the members at its US based fractional club in Encantada resort, as well as a comprehensive package of other services, benefits and programs tailored to fit our members' needs.

Existing CLC World members affiliated to RCI Europe can be assured there is no reason to feel worried by this change as we have also continued our exchange agreement with RCI and members already enrolled can continue to exchange as before.

Interval membership is also available to existing CLC World members wishing to enrol with Interval.