Licensing salespeople what a difference this would make!

Offline martyboy02

You are so misguided again.

Was the Financial Ombudsmen Service ordered Barclay Card to repay my deposit with interest. If that wasn't an ombudsman what was?

If you complain about a Dr it goes to the GMC an ombudsman in all bar name they can order retraining, supervised working or remove a licence to practice, same with Nurses and the RCN.

Look at wider society there are plenty of practices out there, that are governed by a professional body that acts as an ombudsman, you just have to look.

If you want to benefit the timeshare industry thinking out of the box could be a great advantage.

Moving swiftly on to more serious matters, distance learning would be great, training can be monitored but exams like you say Charlie would have to be sat in person at a test centre, like we do with driving tests.

Survivor Of Anfi scammers, willing to help others

Offline charlie1

We had the same problem Mavo with long term served sales people, no one likes change. We found on closer examination of there business that some of there business practices were causing us problems or would be in the in the future.
Some were just like dinasaurs and as Martyboy said at the end if the day you can't have the tail wagging the dog. No individuals should be bigger than the company. The company has to look to the future and if it is to be a part of this it has to move with the times.

You can't hold on to the past and not get involved or try to influence a water downed licensing to suit a hard core of die hard senior salesman or managers as this will be easily seen to be valueless! In this day and age there is no hiding from the Internet and if consumers are unhappy the Internet is now being as a medium in various guises that they can use to express their concern.

We found in the Financial Services Industry that we lost some old fashioned sales people who could not work in the consumers interest left. They were quickly replaced by a new breed of sales person who saw a real career that was licensed and now respected.

For those Developers who don't get on board you will do at some stage as you will see the consumers consider an effective Licensing program, its only when you may eventually join but this will be at great cost the longer your left holding on to the past.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:55:50 by charlie1 »
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Offline martyboy02

In the UK are there not industries that can be compelled to obey their relevant ombudsmen.

The same could happen within the EU with the creation of  Timeshare Ombudsmen with support and legislation.

For too long (Way before I got involved) the lack of willingness of companies to obey the law and looking for loop holes have lead us to where we are now.

You may or maynot look at it from the developers perspective but Consumer protection is No1 in my book. If customers can buy with 100% confidence, knowing there is a body to turn if things go wrong, surely that only will improve confidence in the industry, thus increasing sales and securing the industries future.

Perhaps this could be discussed at the TATOC RDO seminar during Conference this year.

Yes it really is as simple as that.

Martyboy
The answer to your very first sentence is the very reason that blows you out of the water.
 No there are no industries  in the UK that are compelled to obey any ombusman.
 Energy, Utilities, Banking. Insurance, Telecommunications, Pensions. Do you want me to go on?

Mavo
Tomorrow or later today I shall be posting links to various sites as Ofwat, for fines they have imposed, Ofgen for fines they have imposed, unless you wish to reconsider your position. Facta are facts as you are only to keenly point out to others!!
If you have nothing sensible to add to the debate (Other than having petty digs at me) jog on!

Mavo

Martyboy
Of course there will be instances where ombusmen type bodies have been of influence but there are many more instances where they prove to be ineffective ie. Recent energy rises way above inflation. Recent similar events in the water industry. Forthcoming rises by some local authorities that come April will fly in the face of national government advice. All these are in what should be easy to control and dictate to industries and areas of governance.
 Do you really believe that the timeshare industry is as responsible and as easy to control as the above?

There will not be an ombusman type of independent organization who would touch timeshare with a bargepole and if there were then certain companies within the industry would be delighted to be "controlled" by what would be seen by them to be an ineffectual body.

Do I have the complete answer? Currently No but I know that an ombusman type of moderation and scrutiny cannot work in this industry which has too many loose cannons.

Mavo

Look at wider society there are plenty of practices out there, that are governed by a professional body that acts as an ombudsman, you just have to look.

If you want to benefit the timeshare industry thinking out of the box could be a great advantage.

You shoot yourself in the foot with statements such as these above Martyboy.

So lets just think outside your box.
A professional body would be defined as a body with experience of the industry it is dealing with (had it not got that experience then it would be defined as an unprofessional body.)
Therefore in your eyes it would not and could not then be independent as you seem to insist that the regulating and administering of licensing for the timeshare industry has to be.
 Does your out of the box thinking believe that Ofgen, Ofwat, Oftel etc. are made up of people who have no experience or knowledge whatsoever derived from the industries they are regulating?
 That experience is the very reason they are chosen in the first place.

A body lacking in experience or knowledge of the Timeshare Industry would be no match for the unscrupulous.
Let us not forget some of these people still reside within the industry and in selling in particular, or licensing would not be deemed necessary.

The above is just one area of thinking and I can see many more negatives to an independent body, such as who would "independently" choose this independent body without the cry of cronyism ringing out.
 We have to remember that policing would have to take place around the world and cries of "being sent on a jolly" to assess performance would come from many quarters and I am sure that you would take great delight in leading the baying hounds on this one.

Offline Norm de Plume

• Arthur Stuttard - Retired Barrister
There seems to be some confusion between an ombudsman and a regulatory body. The former is an independent assessor of grievances, whereas the latter is a body formed to set professional standards and to enforce them.
If you have found the advice I have given useful and I have saved you some money, perhaps you would like to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Charity, mentioning my name. (www.prostatecanceruk.org)

Offline charlie1

The idea of this thread is to encourage debate on some very important issues that will impact on timeshare and be to everyone’s benefit if this is done effectively.

The two main points raised are Licensing and Exit strategies on this thread. These two points will be of positive benefit to everyone, well except one fraudulent body Scam Companies. This will impact on everyone else positively if the right steps are taken - existing timeshare owners, prospective timeshare owners, ‘THINKING’ Resorts, Resale Companies, RDO and TATOC

Existing timeshare owners –

1) More prospective timeshare members joining if Licensing is EFFECTIVE this will promote trust and confidence. As more members join your Timeshare Company this will allow your Timeshare Company to consider those existing members who have life style challenges a means to now exit with out jeopardising the viability of the resort.
2) New contracts if introduced with exit strategies will be far more attractive to new timeshare owners as this caters more for current life styles and thinking. I see no reason why you will not enjoy a similar growth as seen in Financial Services when we introduced contracts with break options as opposed to the Whole of Life contracts that we had that was just dated! Simple focused marketing as discussed will make all the difference.

Prospective new members.
For all of the above. Most prospective new members will be keen to know that they have a contract of substance with exit strategies during the term of the contract to cater for life style challenges. Most wont use this but its just nice to know its there. This has been proven with resorts that allow members to exit, as they have no queues to leave unlike resorts that threaten members with debt collectors. They should find it easier to obtain new members if this is promoted.

THINKING Timeshare Companies

Those that embrace these changes and take part will benefit from this with happy existing members knowing that at last something constructive is being done and new members joining should allow those with life style challenges to be considered first for exiting. New members will be happy to join a forward thinking Timeshare Company that has a contract that reflects today and not a bygone age.

If the Timeshare Company takes it a stage further and has a genuine pro-active after care service as discussed they will go on to have something called referred business and timeshare owners will maximise their holiday experience. That would be nice. :o

Resale Companies
They will have new contracts for sale in the future that will be easier to promote.
THINKING Resale Companies as I have discussed on previous threads could play a massive role in changing the Industry on behalf of non-selling resorts if the two non-selling resorts and the Resale Companies got together with a shared project. This can be done and I may discuss this further on a new thread at some stage.
Resale Companies also could be so much more pro active in marketing with simple strategies.

Scam Companies >:(
They would find it far more difficult if effective Licensing was introduced as Timeshare Owners become more educated and ask specific questions around Licensing. If I were managing Licensing I would create a License for all Resale Companies and promote that we advise that only licensed Resale Companies be considered.

As new contracts become available more with Exit strategies the Scam Companies and Salespeople who play upon the fact that EVERYONE in the whole world is going have to leave their timeshares to their beneficiaries and by then the maintenances will be about give or take a few added zeros around 10,000 a year!! :o

Most of this is of course nonsense so talk to your resort first!

RDO and TATOC
should have less complaints as these two measures Effective Licensing and long-term contracts with exit programs should reduce the biggest problems that we have in timeshare.

I mentioned before on a post within this thread that there are three simple rules for change. The first one is worthy of reviewing again at this stage.

1) We need to see it as it is but not worse than what it is. We are where we are.

There are no ombudsmen that have the authority or experience at the moment to embrace timeshare issues. As this would be a massive NEW role for an ombudsmen to consider.
I would also think that there is a more likely opportunity that a Government agency would get involved if not soon than perhaps at a later stage.

Licensing has to be done right and would be a foolish exercise to roll out a license that had no teeth as this could be easily seen in the eyes of the consumer. This would do nothing but weaken the REVELANCE of that managing body to the consumers.

As we know with the Internet word spreads very quickly and the licensing would lack confidence and be mistrusted. Something as important as this if interfered with would see the consumers seek another source for guidance.

Licensing would need to have a definitive planned release of procedures with an end plan. It would be constantly evolving but it must start with some teeth. We are all aware that the scam companies and dodgy salespeople will adjust and try to get around this but it wont be easy like it is now and Licensing procedures should not stand still either.

I have been standing on a soapbox about this for years having had the experience of travelling this path before knowing what aspects will likely be tried and wont work etc and what needs to be considered to make this work. Even on this forum I have been putting up threads on these areas over the last year. Both these areas need to happen quickly to give this Industry a massive positive shot in the arm.

This forum does not allow any real depth with the nuts and bolts that need to take place, but it might encourage debate and some thought and who knows if we are all chucking in a pebble perhaps we might together make some waves that might be considered.

Timeshare created its own problems but we have the means to put this right if we swallow the pill and take the right steps. 8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 15:21:55 by charlie1 »
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Mavo

There seems to be some confusion between an ombudsman and a regulatory body. The former is an independent assessor of grievances, whereas the latter is a body formed to set professional standards and to enforce them.
Unfortunately Norm de Plume, without knowledge of the difficulties that are to come in the future we will get those who theorize around Utopia.

Having sat for more years than I care to remember on a group who were writing NVQs for an industry that had little or no regulatory structures in place I am fully aware of the two facets of this that would have to be attended to.
 Firstly a scheme would have to be devised and agreed upon by all and secondly that scheme would have to be policed effectively by "independent" assessors who would have to be trained up to a standard that allowed them to do a thorough job of assessment of performance.

Bearing the above in mind I am fully aware (having spent 12 years trying to get EU uniformity of manufacture in an industry) of how difficult it is to get all parties to agree. Just when you think the job is done then some nation throws in their veto. So it will be with this industry, we will find that there will be certain developers and/or members of the industry who fight against this change. What needs to happen, and I am repeating myself from a past post, is that those who are not prepared to accept reform may well have to be cast adrift.

Offline martyboy02

I have never said that the licencing should be world wide, I have only referred to the EU.

I have said the RDO and TATOC should not dictate policy, but advise if they should want to.

I have never said that anyone involved in timeshare should be barred from such a body unless they are not fit and proper.  Many others from such industry's as travel, law, property and hospitality have transferable skills that could proof to be a great asset and should not be overlooked.

The above  Are incorrect assumptions on your part.

Like I have said before I am willing to debate in a civilised respectful manner. I have talk with Royalty, Heads of State, Peers of the Realm, Government Ministers and many other people from all walks of life about all manner of subjects, and not once when I questioned them or asked them to expand on a point of view I was never subjected to such bile and venom as I receive from a certain individual on here. I thought that 23 years in HM NAVY,SUBMARINE SERVICE, would have prepared me for anything.

So Gentlemen happy debating and to Mavo happy trolling, i shall be withdrawing from this particular thread. Congratulations Mavo another voice silenced by yourself. You Sir your language and attitude, disrespect for differing views are typical of what is wrong with the industry.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 23:13:21 by martyboy02 »

Mavo

I have never said that the licencing should be world wide, I have only referred to the EU.

I have said the RDO and TATOC should not dictate policy, but advise if they should want to.

I have never said that anyone involved in timeshare should be barred from such a body unless they are not fit and proper.

Like I have said before I am willing to debate in a civilised respectful manner.

So Gentlemen happy debating and to Mavo happy trolling, is all be withdrawing from this particular thread. Congratulations Mavo another voice silenced by yourself.

What on earth is the matter with you Martyboy. I have never said that you did suggest any of the above. All I am doing is giving my slant on things. You have been the one posting about totally independent bodies, all I have done among other things is point out that without those bodies having a modicum of timeshare experience then your ideas are nothing more than unworkable pipedreams.
 If you cannot accept the logic of that then I will be sorry to see you leave the debate as it did avail me of the opportunity to show why certain scenarios would be unworkable. It just seems a little unfortunate that you were the one to put those scenarios forward.

Offline martyboy02

I have never said that anyone involved in timeshare should be barred from such a body unless they are not fit and proper.

Like I have said before I am willing to debate in a civilised respectful manner.

So Gentlemen happy debating and to Mavo happy trolling, is all be withdrawing from this particular thread. Congratulations Mavo another voice silenced by yourself.

What on earth is the matter with you Martyboy. I have never said that you did suggest any of the above. All I am doing is giving my slant on things. You have been the one posting about totally independent bodies, all I have done among other things is point out that without those bodies having a modicum of timeshare experience then your ideas are nothing more than unworkable pipedreams.
 If you cannot accept the logic of that then I will be sorry to see you leave the debate as it did avail me of the opportunity to show why certain scenarios would be unworkable. It just seems a little unfortunate that you were the one to put those scenarios forward.

I humbly suggest you read the posts again.

You have identified the problems with timeshare, try searching for the solution. A regulatory body established by the EU to oversee the industry place enforcement orders etc, they say jump the industry jumps.

Now is your chance to display a workable solution that protects customer and developer alike!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 23:49:55 by martyboy02 »

Offline charlie1

I think we have done the rounds on regulatory boards and the ombudsman. Let's move on to any other aspects that you may wish to contribute. There have been some good posts by Martyboy.

This is an important thread we have to many voyeurs just reviewing and not participating. If you do agree on a point or disagree even that would contribute to something that could change your industry. Unless of course you agree with all thats been posted so far  8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:02:07 by charlie1 »

Mavo

I humbly suggest you read the posts again.

You have identified the problems with timeshare, try searching for the solution. A regulatory body established by the EU to oversee the industry place enforcement orders etc, they say jump the industry jumps.

Now is your chance to display a workable solution that protects customer and developer alike!

Martyboy
I humbly suggest that you read my posts and you will see that I quite openly state that I currently do not have a solution. I do know that it will not be a solution which is identified by any individual such as myself or yourself. It will come about by interested parties getting round a table and working out a way forward. This way forward my well incorporate ideas that come out of consumer debates such as this. and that is why charlie 1 put it up here.

A regulatory body within the EU is already in place which you would know if you took the trouble to find out. This body does not seem to be as effective as it could or should be as yet but given the full backing of other organizations it should go from strength to strength in the near future and become an effective part of the Timeshare Taskforce Initiative.

I am trying to give readers and posters an insight into what is likely to evolve and I feel that it is important for consumers to understand that any Taskforce initiatives have to have experienced people within. Without that experience mistakes will be made.

Some may say that people such as myself should have no input because some are of the belief that I am bias towards timeshare. The reverse could be said in that people like Martyboy should have no input because they are bias against the industry. So on that basis who should have input?

My aim is to try to do my bit to improve the industry and thus my holidays, which I have made a considerable investment in.
That is not being bias it is simply looking after my own interests and if other consumers benefit along the way then that is fine.

Offline charlie1

It will be interesting to see who is actually getting around the table to discuss Licensing and Exit Strategies of substance.

I am of the same thoughts as Mavo I would cast adrift those who do not want to get involved at the moment. Or they would prefer to work with a luke warm poor imitation.

I can only see this being successful to those who work with this as consumer confidence builds. It is just as important to build the right steps on route into this as it is to have the right product. This is a massive area on paper will involve a lot of preparation to make this workable.

Some of the old die hard sales people and managers may need some counciling :D

However from personal experience if this is introduced at the right pace with a workable effective policy this will lift the Industry and will have a positive knock on effect especially if coupled with new contracts with exit programs. The benefits far out way any initial concerns or challenges some may feel they will have with this.  ;)

Offline martyboy02

Sorry guys this thread is like a bad habit I just can't stay way.

Every and any interested parties should be able to parcipate in any talks. If you declare any particular interest those listening to you can have an informed opinion as to where you are coming from.

I am not anti timeshare, it is a good idea, all I would like to see is greater customer protection. The loose cannons and rogues brought to heel or shut down. Then I know I can rebuy with full confidence.

The developer I was involved with refused to answer any correspondence from my MP, MEP, Trading Standards, European Consumer Centre and Spainisg Trading Standards. And then to top it all they even refused to communicate with Barclay Partner Finance, who they acted as an agent for!!! Anfi weren't accountable to anyone, this wrong and needs to be addressed.

Previous post ref ombudsman, regulators are ideas for the melting pot, in areas they may be floored, but with discussion and input from others there must be a solution out there. Spotting the problems is easy, a collective solution to benefit all is harder but not impossible.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 00:00:57 by martyboy02 »

Mavo

Sorry guys this thread is like a bad habit I just can't stay way.

Every and any interested parties should be able to parcipate in any talks. If you declare any particular interest those listening to you can have an informed opinion as to where you are coming from.

I am not anti timeshare, it is a good idea, all I would like to see is greater customer protection. The loose cannons and rogues brought to heel or shut down. Then I know I can rebuy with full confidence.

The developer I was involved with refused to answer any correspondence from my MP, MEP, Trading Standards, European Consumer Centre and Spainish Trading Standards. And then to top it all they even refused to communicate with Barclay Partner Finance, who they acted as an agent for!!! Anfi were not accountable to anyone, this is wrong and needs to be addressed.

Previous post ref ombudsman, regulators are ideas for the melting pot, in areas they may be flawed, but with discussion and input from others there must be a solution out there. Spotting the problems is easy, a collective solution to benefit all is harder but not impossible.

It is nice to see you finally recognizing the difficulties that will be encountered and the fact that total independence is impossible to create. You have pointed out above that the company who you blame for all your ills were not accountable to anybody. The fact that a finance house was forced by legislation to reimburse you and not the timeshare company itself says it all.

If you care to read back on your posts on this thread you will see that your posts around use of an ombudsman/regulator were not ideas for the melting pot but were a determination over more than one post that anything other that a totally independent ombudsman/regulator would not be acceptable to you. OK you now revise that which is fine.

Your previous posts on this thread offer up ideal world scenario solutions and as your experience with Anfi demonstrates, Timeshare is not currently in an ideal world.

The solutions will be complex and bitterly contested before compromise is reached and mark my words, like it or not, there will be compromises in the first draft and probably the initial rolling out of any program. It will though be something to build on for the future. So lets see if it can be got off the ground, anticipated benefits then being seen thus allowing further progress to be made.
It has to be an ongoing and evolving solution, so nobody should expect it all to happen overnight. Flexiblity and the ability to react to how changes are affecting the industry and adjust accordingly will be the key to both industry and consumer confidence.   

Offline charlie1

Licensing is a massive undertaking if this is to be effective :o

I have mentioned many times that the License program would have to evolve. It would be impracticable just to say this is exactly what we need now and just try to enforce this. This would be very damaging!

As mentioned Licensing would need to have a definitive planned release of procedures with an end plan! It would be constantly evolving but it needs to start with ‘some’ teeth to be taken seriously in my opinion.

The committee involved considering the licensing policy would need experts involved who have experience in all the areas necessary to make this work. This needs a strong leader to head that up with no axe to grind and this is made to be their primary focus. They need to ask lots of questions when faced with opposition. Why not? What has to happen to make this work in this area?

Temporary panels should ideally be formed headed up by a member of the committee as required. This is important to obtain maximum exposure to the more challenging areas to avoid future costly mistakes that have to be rectified.

There needs to be a transparency as each area is agreed on with a FAQ section.

I would strongly suggest that there should be no Developers on this policy making panel otherwise there will always be a cloud around this that they influenced policy. By all means there should be a sub committee consisting of Developers and Resale Companies so their opinion and advice can be sought in relative areas to the selling process so it can be assessed what has to change to make this workable and how could this be worked.

If there are areas that the selling resorts express concern this must be effectively investigated and validated and not just accepted as it will be natural for them to feel protective of a business area that is relative to them.

The Financial Services Industry did not have a choice it had to be licensed. There were no maybes that this might happen; a date was given with what had to be in place prior to D Day. 

As memory serves we had a year plus to gear up so that all companies it affected could gear up to make licensing workable.

It is no use introducing something that cannot be worked. On route in Financial Services there were upgrades to the licensing procedure and each company abided by the policy and added internally whatever assisted their business or enabled them to further insure them that there was less chance of any questionable business being written.

Each manager had his own team that they were responsible for and the manager had to sign off that salespersons business. We ensured within our offices that staff randomly contacted clients. We had in place systems beyond what was required. We had fact finds that were extensive outlining the client’s situation, their objectives and how our recommendations were working towards their objectives.

The Financial Services introduction of Licensing was a directive where in the timeshare Industry Developers have to be shown and believe in the benefits of them accepting a licensing procedure.

The timeshare Industry does not need to be as regimented as the Financial Services Industry as even my business card had to be approved!!

Licensing is not meant to restrict selling and I believe that it will genuinely increase sales
:D

Not all Developers will be receptive towards this as it may be in conflict with how they do their business and not everyone will be happy about having controls in place and being answerable to how they do their sales.

The thinking Developers will know that this day will come regardless and consumers will place more trust in a licensed Developer. Those that get involved can steal a march on their competitors and in the early stages of licensing those Developers could have some influence on the way this is worked and introduced initially.

Get involved this is the future and you can be a part of this :)

Offline charlie1

Key to success in such a massive project is having the right team on board to begin with. This is new terrority in some areas and you cant just pull data to support a plan of action. In my opinion this not the case to just bring in the same team you have had before on other projects. So who ever head’s this up should be evaluating who brings in real value to this particular project. They may only be part players to focus on a particular aspect that plays an important part of this project.

You can’t rely too much on past data in any given area.  As people change, times change, circumstances change. The amount of variables that made past outcomes possible will never be the same. Thats why I would only look at the Financial Services Licensing as a loose guide, but at least its something to consider. Most of those salespeople were also on commission with little real controls and they certainly with their sales managers were not happy to see this even being talked about. Certainly the companies felt that it would cost them dearly in terms of Company turn over. That turned out not to be the case!

I always found that stuff like Spreadsheets and past performances was an attempt to create a pre-emptive excuse for failure.

The reason Investment Companies requires every statement about a company’s future to include some variation of “past performance does not imply future results” is because that’s true.

I feel there needs to be new research in some areas this does not provide good ‘cover’ that’s why its important to have the right team on board who have had some experience in a given area but are prepared to role up there sleeves and invite the right people around them when required in a given area and ask questions and that’s lots of the right questions. This could even be on a one to one rather than one individual who is fairly out spoken sways individuals. Skype comes to mind.

The most important thing in my opinion is not try to succeed as fast as possible, but try to answer the most important questions as fast as possible and get the right people around you to ask those questions! All feedback should not be dismissed straight away and should be respected as sometimes this can lead on to a successful outcome. There’s a need to replace assumptions with data and feedback. The faster you can make that transition and start to build around data over delusion and some closed minds with open questions, the more likely this is going to be successful with least costly mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 19:39:20 by charlie1 »

Offline charlie1

Best Advice

This in my opinion is one of the most important areas if not the most important concern in selling that needs to be addressed and given some real thought too. Best Advice practices alone if done effectively would address a high percentage of problems that occur with selling operations. 

Without Best advice applied to licensing. Licensing in my opinion would not have any real depth.

Has anyone else any thoughts on Best Advice or perhaps your not aware of its significance?  :-X

Offline charlie1

Licensing in my opinion needs to embrace Best Advice Practices.

This ensures a focus for the salesperson that they provide the best solution to the timeshare owners needs within his allocated product range and the consumers budget.

I have seen consumers have access to a good timeshare product, but the allocation of ownership within that product did not enable the consumer to reach their holiday objectives.

For example one consumer was sold 20,000 RCI pure points. The consumer could only take UK holidays and required April to September holiday time. So due to the number of points required they had to roll over 2 years worth of holidays to combine too 40,000 RCI Points and borrow from next years points as well! So effectively within timeshare they could only take a UK holiday every 3 years and pay 3 years of maintenances! Good product but they just did not own in the right way and no one had explained about bonus weeks either.

There again you only have that consumers word for it. Factually they only had 20,000 RCI Points a year and through ill health could not fly that I do know. They of course did not speak very highly of timeshare, but now at least their members of Dial and UKRE and can access bonus weeks now.  :D

I have come across hundreds of clients who just owned timeshare in the wrong way. All consumers of course said the the sales person was aware of this and no one gets back. However I was not there and who knows what was said on the table

Even more consumers thought they were miss-sold, but I have found they just do not understand how to work timeshare effectively. And of course you do get consumers that are just miss sold
and under pressure end up with something that may just not be workable or is missing a few facts :D

Suggested Solution

A simple one page fact find starting with the normal consumers details. Address contact details etc

1) State what they currently own in timeshare if anything

( e.g Orange Lakes Florida week 26)

2) Next on 2-3 lines what their holiday objectives are
( e.g Mr & Mrs Jones are retiring soon and wish to take more UK holidays particular in Cornwall)

3) Recommendations and general advice.

e.g I have recommended a 1 bed St Mellion in Cornwall week 38, a benefit to them is they enjoy golf. I informed them that the resort also has an exit strategy as you can simply hand it back or sell it. I have also high lighted the benefits of other Exchange Companies to Mr & Mrs Jones. I have abided by all the regulations as required. Copies of any notes or diagrams have been photo copied so Mr & Mrs Jones have an easy reference for referring back to our meeting.

They also have a direct line number for our after care service and once they have gone through the cooling off period they will receive log in details for our website where members can access information to ensure they are really working their timeshare. This also allows members to have access to current updates and our news letter. This website also allows members to make recommendations of attractions, restaurants, beaches etc that they have personally visited.

I have also informed them when they stay with us at St Mellion we will allocate a brief time for them to meet up with our Customer Care Educator and they will ensure that they are making the very best of their timeshare. 

Then the Licensed salesperson signs the bottom of the Holiday fact sheet and so does the consumer saying this is a fair overview. The consumer then has an opportunity to add any general comments and they date this. The consumer keeps a copy.

That would be nice! Now theres always a record as sometimes its the consumers lifestyle that has changed and at the time the product suited their holiday requirements. They then complain years later that it does not suit their holiday style and memory can get distorted over the years.

Please note that I dont believe that St Mellion do any of this but it is a good resort with golf and they do allow timeshare owners to hand back their weeks.

The fact find worked in Finance and was a life saver sometimes when you had something that you could refer back to we found 'surprisingly' that sometimes our own clients were duped into complaining by a third party so they in turn would cancel our product and take out our competitors product! Sound familiar? ;D This Fact Find with licensing stopped that unless there was a legitimate reason for doing a part exchange or requesting a cancelation if our contract allowed this.

This is all a suggested opinion utilising a fact find. We found that it actually was very much to our companies benefit and we had a fact find long before the Licensing came into effect. Of course our sales people and managers were suicidal to begin with at the thought of this. However with training they saw the benefits and it really worked well for everyone. The client felt comfortable that they were sitting down with a company that was really looking for a solution on a professional basis. Does anyone not see the benefits of this at some stage of a Licensing or feel that one aspect is not workable?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 16:51:01 by charlie1 »