Cogland

« on: April 03, 2014, 20:23:29 »
Those members selling Diamond Points for little or nothing should consider if they are doing the right thing. Diamond are now selling fractional membership up to 15 years.  It costs a lot of money but people are buying. Every year that passes brings us closer to 2054. As the years go by the tie in will become less of an issue and our points will become a more attractive buy and offer some of the benefits of fractional ownership. I realise that many of us are getting on in years but it really is worth talking to your sons and daughters before giving them away. Many people will spend £200-£300 on a short UK breaks and are popular with younger people. I meet many of these non member folks on holiday at Diamond Resorts who have paid good money to book via the internet. For many people say the word Timeshare and they run as fast as they can because of the lock in but as the years pass this will become less of an issue. Those who can afford to keep  them may one day get more back then those buying fractional ownership. All be it may well be your son or daughter who will also have enjoyed some very good holidays.

ovek

Re: 2054
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:29:53 »
So if We keep paying £1200 a year till 2054 that will be £48,000 plus annual increase of4% what a bargain ,think I will give it a miss

Mavo

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:07:22 »
So if We keep paying £1200 a year till 2054 that will be £48,000 plus annual increase of4% what a bargain ,think I will give it a miss

You forgot to add that for your £1200 per annum plus annual increases you get around 6 weeks plus holiday a year. ...... If you know what you are doing. ...... By the end of this month we as a couple will have had 6 weeks holiday this year and we have another 3 weeks already booked for later in the year. My fees are £1606 = £89.22 per week each. I also have access  via Diamond Resorts to DAE Bonus Weeks at £160 per week for a 1 bed in a huge variety of resorts. Do I want to get rid of my points!!!??? and go package with all the uncertainty that it entails...... I don`t think so! 

ovek

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:26 »
Well my £1200 got me three weeks if I could get booked  any where without booking 12 months in advance ! and then in average apartments in Tenerife as that was all that was available, and why are people on here so sure that if you don't use timeshare you go on package hols . we look for cheap flights and then book apartments on line and these are far better and larger than the average timeshare apartment , this is so much better than taking holidays when they can fit us in , £400 a week for an apartment that you did not know what it would be like , book apartment on line there are photos of all the rooms and balcony, or terrace, so you know what you are getting, the last few apartments we have had in Tenerife were far superior to timeshare apartments and cheaper, and no hassle of time share reps trying to sell there new time share under a new name .you cant trust these people just look at Beverly Hills and Silverpoint

Mavo

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 13:35:36 »
Well my £1200 got me three weeks if I could get booked  any where without booking 12 months in advance ! and then in average apartments in Tenerife as that was all that was available, and why are people on here so sure that if you don't use timeshare you go on package hols . we look for cheap flights and then book apartments on line and these are far better and larger than the average timeshare apartment , this is so much better than taking holidays when they can fit us in , £400 a week for an apartment that you did not know what it would be like , book apartment on line there are photos of all the rooms and balcony, or terrace, so you know what you are getting, the last few apartments we have had in Tenerife were far superior to timeshare apartments and cheaper, and no hassle of time share reps trying to sell there new time share under a new name .you cant trust these people just look at Beverly Hills and Silverpoint

Three weeks! .... You either do not know what you are doing or you do not have the flexibility to use the systems to best advantage. Just this morning I had an email with 50% discounts off lots of resorts both in Europe and the USA for all sorts of dates in the next few months. These are regular emails and so fairly predictable in that I think this is the third time these type of offers have been sent this year and we are only 3 months in to it so far. Plenty in lots of areas of America including Vegas. In Europe there are discounts in Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Mainland Spain and Bulgaria as well as Ireland.

Cogland

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 16:34:41 »
I agree with Mavo. I have a few points less than Mavo but manage 4-5 weeks every year plus 2-3 short UK breaks. You have to use your points wisely and take advantage of the offers that pop up some of them just appear for example last November I booked a 2 night break at Woodford Bridge in a 2 bed lodge for just 200 points! I then l looked again in Januuary and booked another 2 nights for 800 points so a Monday -Friday stay for just 1000 points for a lodge sleeping 6. As members when we went to use the pool we get complimentary towels.  I have just booked a week at Sunset Bay for some friends in April 1100 points. I have also booked holidays outside of the club and its only when you do this that you realise all the extras you get included with the club. For example stopping at a Thompson Gold resort in Cala Dor I had to pay a daily charge just to get tea and coffee making facilities. I usually find I have more points than I can use for myself and I have no problem selling weeks to chums who have been on holiday with us before and enjoy what the club has to offer. The other point is that when the unexpected happens the staff go the extra mile to help. One mate had a bad fall and had a nasty cut to the head Diamond staff gave first aid and organised a Doctor in the middle of the night.
The only grouse I have is DRIs interpretation of the exit rules but as I have said its an issue that will be less and less important as time passes.

Cogland

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 16:45:07 »
Just done a price check with Booking.com. Monday-Friday Woodford Bridge 4 nights 2 bed lodge £360. Puts the club fees in context.

Offline charlie1

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 17:55:05 »
I can only agree with Cogland and Mavo as I am still out in the states curtesy of bonus weeks that Diamond members can access as well through Dial an Exchange. I have mentioned on an earlier post that if I had booked direct it would have cost a fortune. Timeshare if used wisely if you compare 'like for like' is great value. Holidays are important to me so I put in a little homework as I dont want to save a few bucks to compromise any of my holidays.

I dont just book any type of holiday and with some simple forward planning I know exactly what were getting with no hidden surprises.
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Cogland

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 20:59:25 »
My original posting was to point out that I think second hand points are really under priced. I understand though that some people both retired and in work  find that circumstances have changed and they simply cannot afford to take holidays never mind the annual fees. If I was in this position my priorities would be home food and warmth. I would try to sell my points  and or negotiate an exit with the club but if I could not  in these circumstances I would pay any outstanding fees up to date and resign my membership giving the notice required in the rules. I would then walk away and refuse to pay any more fees and this would be my advice to anyone who finds themselves in this situation.
However its a poor solution given the good money members have paid to join and the holidays that can be obtained by those who can afford to take them. I do hope that as more non members enjoy the resorts demand for second hand points will increase. The other factor thats worth mentioning is that DRI resorts are all located in relatively safe areas of the world. Something to consider when going on holiday. Why folks choose to holiday in war zones like Egypt is beyond me.
The Club still could do itself and its European members a favour by sorting the exit issue otherwise as membership falls away they will just become another holiday company selling on the Internet.

Mavo

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 21:30:56 »
My original posting was to point out that I think second hand points are really under priced. I understand though that some people both retired and in work  find that circumstances have changed and they simply cannot afford to take holidays never mind the annual fees. If I was in this position my priorities would be home food and warmth. I would try to sell my points  and or negotiate an exit with the club but if I could not  in these circumstances I would pay any outstanding fees up to date and resign my membership giving the notice required in the rules. I would then walk away and refuse to pay any more fees and this would be my advice to anyone who finds themselves in this situation.
However its a poor solution given the good money members have paid to join and the holidays that can be obtained by those who can afford to take them. I do hope that as more non members enjoy the resorts demand for second hand points will increase. The other factor thats worth mentioning is that DRI resorts are all located in relatively safe areas of the world. Something to consider when going on holiday. Why folks choose to holiday in war zones like Egypt is beyond me.
The Club still could do itself and its European members a favour by sorting the exit issue otherwise as membership falls away they will just become another holiday company selling on the Internet.

All RDO members and this includes DRI have, for the time being, agreed to an Exit Strategy of sorts which is similar to the current exit strategy in place at DRI which is as follows:- Either partner becoming aged 75 or a bereavement of either partner or exceptional financial circumstances and this does not, in the case of DRI, necessarily mean bankruptcy. This is currently, with DRI,  at the discretion of the company but from what is being said by RDO then DRI would have to resign membership if they stopped accepting the current exit reasons.
 There is more work to be done on exits but it is a step in the right direction and it is being looked into by all the bodies involved in the Timeshare Taskforce initiative.

Offline Happy Days are here again

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 12:58:06 »
I have now owned timeshare for over 20 years.
To my detriment I became a bit of timeshare collector to the extent that at one stage I owned 6 units at one time.
As my maintenance fees escalated to around 3k I decided I was foolish owning so many and decided it was time to attempt to get rid.
Some of the units I had purchased were off ebay.
I would see quality resorts that I knew of being advertised with maintenance fees all paid for the year and up to date.
On top of this transfer fees were being paid by the vendor and the units were available for occupancy during the current year.
The fact that I was purchasing for anywhere between 99p an £10 it seemed a no brainer not to buy.
That was until the year following the "the free holiday"when the maintenance bills arrived.
I did manage to get rid of 5 units over a 2 year period but mainly by selling them on ebay and by offering the same sorts of deals to the ones that I had bought.
So all in all I think I was fortunate to get out without any great losses.
That said I have retained one unit in order to remain in the system.
I am still a big believer in the timeshare concept but have found by retaining the one unit I am able to take any number of holidays by way of DAE bonus weeks or Intervalworlds getaways.
I usually take at least 8 or more of these in a year and always at a fraction of what maintenance and exchange fees would now be costing me had I kept all the units I once had.
So my advice to any prospective timeshare purchaser would be forget about 2054, forget about fractional or any other schemes they think of.
Look to buy a resale (not forgetting ebay).
Try to make sure you buy nothing less than a 2 bed unit in red time.
Should you wish to then covert to points that may well be of benefit to you.

Offline charlie1

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 14:25:53 »
From my experience in timeshare I have found that our holiday requirements are as individual as we are. There are some that want to own a specific resort at a fixed time with the apartment they have chosen for the view and go back there most years. I know some owners who own multiple weeks at the same resort and thats what they do go back year after year and there very happy with that.

Value will mean different things to different folk.

Some may value the support like a bigger group provides as mentioned by Cogland in post 6 "The other point is that when the unexpected happens the staff go the extra mile to help. One mate had a bad fall and had a nasty cut to the head Diamond staff gave first aid and organised a Doctor in the middle of the night".

As Mavo also commented in this thread"Just this morning I had an email with 50% discounts off lots of resorts both in Europe and the USA for all sorts of dates in the next few months. These are regular emails and so fairly predictable in that I think this is the third time these type of offers have been sent this year and we are only 3 months in to it so far. Plenty in lots of areas of America including Vegas. In Europe there are discounts in Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Mainland Spain and Bulgaria as well as Ireland".

I think if your experienced in timeshare as 'Happy Days are here again' is and you just want to exchange then this could be ideal for you. However you really need to do your homework on the resort you are considering with a whole list of questions before you take this route. In fact anyone considering timeshare needs to do a little research first. So you dont get sold too because your going out to buy and choose your timeshare. 

As mentioned we all have different opinions on what brings value to us as individuals. For me you can't beat timeshare with a little knowledge. For example I have spent 6 weeks in the States in the last 5 months and each week cost me £159 as a bonus week. The apartments I stayed in last October and am now currently staying in you could not get outside of timeshare unless you paid a fortune!
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Cogland

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 19:27:43 »
Interesting comments and I agree that timeshare needs are very individual. I was very unhappy when the new owners raised fees sharply when they first took over  its no secret but I decided that I was going to move on and  having paid good money I was going to get real value and make the most of my membership. Looking back now my membership has given us many good holidays at home and abroad. As our children have grown into adults and married its provided honeymoons for them and holidays for  our relatives .  It has given us the opportunity to take a couple of close friends away who have lost a partner. Its now providing great holidays for our grandson . We have met some lovely people who we meet up with now and again and has given us the opportunity to meet our friends who live in Belgium in Tenerife to enjoy holidays together. Would we have done all of this if we did not own timeshare I dont think so.

Offline charlie1

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 21:01:57 »
Thats what I have found Cogland, new friendships formed and holidays that I know I would not have taken as I was too 'busy'. Thats why primarily I got involved in timeshare. You cant put a price on quality time out with those you care for.

We even used timeshare when we got married and invited close family and friends to share that time with us abroad. So timeshare has worked very well for us and will serve us well for the future.

Interesting comments and I agree that timeshare needs are very individual. I was very unhappy when the new owners raised fees sharply when they first took over  its no secret but I decided that I was going to move on and  having paid good money I was going to get real value and make the most of my membership. Looking back now my membership has given us many good holidays at home and abroad. As our children have grown into adults and married its provided honeymoons for them and holidays for  our relatives .  It has given us the opportunity to take a couple of close friends away who have lost a partner. Its now providing great holidays for our grandson . We have met some lovely people who we meet up with now and again and has given us the opportunity to meet our friends who live in Belgium in Tenerife to enjoy holidays together. Would we have done all of this if we did not own timeshare I dont think so.

mabel

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 22:13:47 »
Hi Mavo.
Isn't Silverpoints a member of RDO???
 In which case they have not taken on board the exit strategy of allowing people to leave when they reach a certain age and in the Resolution 2 which the committee asked us to vote for they reiterate that if any one of the owners dies then any remainder must continue to pay.
Single pensioner, I don't think they will look good taking such a person to court for non-payment!!

The committee should be ashamed of themselves, certainly not working for their members. :o

Mavo

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 10:49:14 »
Hi Mavo.
Isn't Silverpoints a member of RDO???
 In which case they have not taken on board the exit strategy of allowing people to leave when they reach a certain age and in the Resolution 2 which the committee asked us to vote for they reiterate that if any one of the owners dies then any remainder must continue to pay.
Single pensioner, I don't think they will look good taking such a person to court for non-payment!!

The committee should be ashamed of themselves, certainly not working for their members. :o

RDO Initiatives…. a policy on exit programs with each RDO member having one, a policy to be available on a persons death, of bankruptcy, trade-ins between RDO members and management fees.

The above was reported from the recent TATOC Conference and my understanding was and is that this included the 75 years old persons release too.
I will check it out during the working week.
I have also seen it reported on here in recent times.

mabel

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 23:14:48 »
Hi Mavo,
Thanks for that.
Will it mean that all members on the holiday certificate will have to be 75 or just the oldest?

Offline Happy Days are here again

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 11:02:23 »
Where would I be able to get the luxury we are experiencing this week at such a low cost without being a timeshare owner?
We are at the Marriotts Marbella Beach Club on the Costa del Sol.
We are in a 2 bed beachfront apartment which was booked as a Intervalworld getaway at a cost of around £320.
Anyone that has been to this resort will recognise the value.
If booking via the Marriotts website you would expect to pay well into four figures.
Been here three days now and am yet to see a cloud in the sky.

We are at the Marriotts Marbella Beach Club on the Costa del sol.

Offline moorlandcres

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 13:51:59 »
We are Diamond points members and at an update last month with a very rude and pushy rep in Tennerife he told us if we were not happy with our membership of Diamond resorts we could just hand back our certificates and there would be no action taken as Diamond have not and will not take any member to court for non payment of fees.So why anyone is signing up for Fractional ownership and the 15 year exit plan is beyond me it is a total ripoff there is something sinister about it all.

Mavo

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 11:03:04 »
We are Diamond points members and at an update last month with a very rude and pushy rep in Tennerife he told us if we were not happy with our membership of Diamond resorts we could just hand back our certificates and there would be no action taken as Diamond have not and will not take any member to court for non payment of fees.So why anyone is signing up for Fractional ownership and the 15 year exit plan is beyond me it is a total ripoff there is something sinister about it all.

It is important that we all understand that not all timeshare products suit all people. This is the major problem that we encounter and see so often in that there are those who purchase timeshare products without sufficient research.
 Fractionals on the face of it are, to some, an ideal product but to others are not such an attractive option.
 If I were a newcomer into timeshare then I would have a serious look into what fractional ownership has to offer.
 As a season timeshare user for quite a number of years I would not be interested in Fractionals.... The product does not suit my age or personal circumstance. It is very much a question of looking at the products available and purchasing the one that best suits your present and likely future requirements.