Is this your resort/club! How to turn it around.

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
Is this your resort/club! How to turn it around.
« on: June 14, 2014, 13:36:35 »
I believe within the next 10 years there will be a very clear diversion within timeshare. There will be the big players who have their own portfolio of resorts focusing on providing a hospitality service and offering various holiday experiences. There will also be Independent resorts that will survive the big fall out that will be in prime locations and those thinking Individual resorts that will establish a niche and have marketed intelligently to attract members ideally suited to their resort.

Those resorts in the top tier will be fewer but highly sought after and very saleable.

Then in the lower division were have the remnants of Resorts and Developers that are left, drawing their last breath because they did not adapt and listen and are now to uneconomical to continue. They will have high maintenances because that will be there main source of revenue and they will in desperation try to lock their members in with threats of debt collectors or worse. They wont have an exit strategy in place and appreciate that it would make their resort more attractive to new members.

This is not the future this is happening now! Hundreds of resorts have closed over the last couple of years and this will increase. Unless we have a wake up call and work together as a collective.

Timeshare is a great concept but those that did not work on this and adapt with the times now find themselves barley treading water.  If they don't change and reach out for help soon they will be history. Those who now make a stand and decide to work at this with the right leadership perhaps were waken a sleeping giant.

Be part of the solution,
there will be a more focused drive on this in the future. If you have any thoughts on this lets have them on here. Or in confidence pm even better email me direct my details are in my membership.

The signs are there now in BIG letters! We have resorts that have no marketing or don’t know how. Most that do sell have poor dated sales procedures.

We have resorts that are barely managed, virtually on a reactionary basis when the management get together focusing on survival only. Others that don’t have good communication with their membership and don’t appreciate that there membership are their most prized asset. They don’t know how to help and educate their members on best use of their timeshare. They may have unsuitable and dated productsNo one wants my full list here.

Some resorts that have no experience on assisting their members to sell and just list them on their website for sell! One resort has a list of 600 weeks listed for sale on their website and have no idea how damaging that is to the resort and the Industry. Other resorts just recommend them to a Resale Company where most Resale Companies just list them on their website and charge a fee!

I have heard it said that its difficult accessing UK weeks but one resort in the UK in the first week of June was virtually empty. The large bar was closed and the leisure facilities closed from 5pm because that’s when the lady on reception goes home!!

So what camp will your resort be in?

Timeshare created the problems by not thinking ahead but we also hold the solutions…
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 23:15:05 by charlie1 »
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Offline JohnB57

As an ex-owner at one of the higher tier resorts you refer to - and glad to be free of it - I believe that timeshare has had its day. It might have been a great concept twenty years ago , but in 2014, it simply isn't. 

Other than perhaps the more prestigious units in the very best resorts, your "investment" immediately becomes and remains virtually valueless. In fact, worse than that, it's a millstone. That situation will not change. On top of that, the world is a very different place from the heyday of timeshare. Look no further than this forum to judge how far it has fallen off a cliff. Four or five years ago, virtually every board was alive with regular posts from owners. Now, most are barely used.

I realise this was not the kind of response you were looking for but can you really see anything turning round the decline in timeshare? It's already an expensive way to vacation. Adding to that cost though the provision of facilities or "experiences" - which inevitably you would have to contribute to whether or not you used them - isn't going to make that any more attractive, certainly not to the numbers of "investors" that would be necessary to simply replace those who drop out.

Sorry to pour cold water on your well meaning post and I hope you continue to get the most from your timeshare. But I can only say that being out of it is one of the biggest reliefs of my life.

Timeshare ownership. The natural antidote to diazepam...

Offline happyowner25

In my opinion, there have been many posts on this forum regarding the situation in los cristianos and the 'toothless tigers' ect ect, to not want the idea of TATOC involvement.
-------------------------------
:) a ninety seven percenter :D :D :D :D

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
Hi JohnB57
I think we have gone off thread a little but sometimes that’s not a bad thing. All points of view are very welcome as its important that those who may have some responsibility in timeshare that look into these threads are aware of the feelings of all timeshare owners.

However we need to note that most members/viewers on Timeshare Talk are here as a result of a timeshare issue or challenge. They have not received a satisfactory response from an issue that concerns them from who ever they have tried to resolve an issue with. So those timeshare owners go online to find an answer or more information concerning their problem and most go on to find forums like Timesharetalk.

So on forums like this you will find it mainly consists of threads that are associated with a problem relating to timeshare. There are few positive or educational threads on TimeshareTalk as most happy timeshare owners are not searching the Internet looking for timeshare solutions to our problems.

These forums provide a service as it allows timeshare owners to share problems and at times receive some good advice because their not getting the support or advice they seek elsewhere and that’s very sad if they are ignored or even threatened with letters from their resorts and even debt collectors. How these resorts think that this ‘solution’ is going to resolve their membership problems long term is beyond me!

Timeshare was never an investment that was old salespersons sales patter but it was an investment in our holiday time. For me it made me take time out to ensure I did not lose out on my annual allocation of holiday time even with a busy lifestyle.

In timeshare now there are obviously those that are not suited to timeshare and a larger percentage in my opinion are those that don’t have a timeshare holiday product that suits their holiday style. As most bought under pressure to buy on the day and had no opportunity to research out alternative timeshare products. On top of that to compound the issue of how to make the best use of timeshare there are not many sources that are available to educate the timeshare owner that does not have their own agenda leading to a sell somewhere.

Forums like this are not representative of all timeshare owners as the majority of timeshare owners are happy and content with their timeshare, as many surveys have shown. For example Hapimag has a history in timeshare of over 50 years without one single complaint showing on the Internet from any of their owners. Also check out http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php/topic,18769.msg57104.html and what about http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php/topic,18441.0.html Timeshare will give you quality holidays to last a life time if you own the right product to suit your holiday style and do a little homework. Where could I take a bonus week in the UK for just £129!! I could pay that for one night in a good hotel!

There are some excellent resorts and Timeshare companies out there that are consumer driven and their members are making timeshare work for them. They have exit strategies and provide value for money.

The world is different from 20 years ago as even more people are taking holidays than they have ever done. Lifestyles have changed and the reason for my thread is that some resorts did not adapt and create the flexibility required in this day and age. So you are quite right those companies that have stood still have become a milestone for their members if they seek to exit, but that’s by no means all timeshare companies.

However my thread was created as my concern is that in some resorts and Timeshare Companies where it is not so much a problem now it will be!  :o As their members mature in those timeshare companies and they do not have an exit program, what we see today can only escalate with those resorts.

This becomes an even bigger issue where the management of these resorts is not pro-active in key areas and effectively stuck their heads in the sand and wont address beyond a lip service there real problems.

Happyowner25 I take your point but I am aware of the recent stance where RDO have publically declared their members exit strategies recently. This is a positive step in the right direction and with KwikChex heading up the Timeshare Task Force. RDO announced that TATOC are working along similar lines with their membership.

This line of action can only gather momentum as lines have been drawn and we may see a diversion being created as the consumer will view those Timeshare Companies more favourably that are consumer friendly and have workable exit strategies.

There are sometimes areas that are being worked on behind the scenes that we are not always privy to. I know for example that TATOC have been assisting the problems associated with WBM sales at Dyserth Falls. They were not members of TATOC but TATOC have got involved to help resolve this. I spoke to TATOC regarding this a while back. The main challenge as I see it with TATOC are resources. They need a new source of revenue.

Another example a couple of years back a Silverpoint member contacted me with issues they had with Silverpoints they where very unhappy. I told them to forward this directly to Harry Taylor and as a result of that Harry Taylor personally visited the Silverpoints member at their house. This resulted in a four-way tele-conference with The Silverpoint member, Harry Taylor, Mark Cushway (CEO of Silverpoints) and myself. After two hours we ended up with one very happy Silverpoints member.

I agree with your comments about the sheer volume of posts about whats happening in Los Christianos and I wonder has anyone actually directly approached RDO or TATOC on the issue you refer to Happyowner25 in the last 12 months? Or has everyone just assumed that they have.

My thread is a wake up call for those Timeshare Companies that are stuck in a timeshare warp. They have it within their capabilities to make the right steps to bring them up to speed with lifestyles in the 21st century. That’s if they have the right pro-active leadership and the will. Otherwise in my opinion they are not only providing a disservice to their members but are also putting their resort(s) at risk.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:16:00 by charlie1 »
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
1) Leadership

This is where it stops and starts. If challenges bottle neck with a committee/management or with the CEO because they don’t tackle the core challenges facing their business then their timeshare business can only depreciate as your club members will vote with their feet.

Even those Timeshare Companies that are locking in their members with no exit strategy are on borrowed time as our mature members cannot live forever. No exit strategy will hardly attract new members and even if we bring in a short term product. Prospective members in this day and age will soon get a feel for how existing members feel about their Timeshare Company. We have to remember as a timeshare business we are there for the consumers. Because without our club members and their good will we wont have a business.

It is a natural reaction for most to shy away from difficult challenges that’s why we need leaders! They in turn need an active support structure of committee/board members to support the CEO with each playing to their strengths.
If that’s not there then we need to bring in personal that have the right skill sets and are pro-active.

Some committees/Directors only at best get together every 3-4 months unless they end up having a reactionary meeting due to something not planned for.

Some clubs/resorts are managed on a voluntary basis with well meaning folk. In this instance you need to reach out to your membership and identify members that have skill sets that might be of assistance from time to time.
You don’t have to meet why not Skype or tele-conference a call and there is emails of course you can always meet. If you have a challenge why not have a temporary group dedicated to one problem say for 12 weeks reporting into a committee member. Why not in turn reach out to other supportive professional bodies within the Industry and at least find out what they have to offer with no obligation like RDO and TATOC. 

If its important your find a way. If its outside of your comfort zone your find plenty of excuses why a problem cant be tackled now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 18:03:04 by charlie1 »

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
2) As a Club/Resort where do you want to be?

To start with a Timeshare Company has to undertake an honest appraisal of its business and resources and establish where you are now in order to take the right steps to achieve your objectives.

I need to labour the point this has to start with the Leadership and in order for that to be effective you need a supportive pro-active committee or board of Directors each playing to their strengths and having their fingers on the pulse! What are my members needs, desires and fears? You don’t want yes men everyone needs to contribute. If the committee/board is weak they will always be looking for excuses when confronted by a challenge or they end up tied up in knots in their own red tape instead of having an open mind exploring and reaching out for solutions.

In running a business there are of course a number of on going areas that have to be looked at including Finances, Resort maintenance programs, Public Relations etc However that’s called survival!

If you want to go on and prosper than you need to focus on the more challenging issues and then identify the steps you need and can take. Once you have the right team in place you need to consider the following to start off with in any order that’s relative to your club. This is just some of the areas that are important to get right for your timeshare business if your not already in the premiership side of timeshare.

Membership overview
if you don’t have the data, survey intelligently to obtain this effective feedback is vital. This is just a sample of areas that feedback will assist you to plan for your companies future. That’s member’s ages, ideal if you know how many members holiday as a family, the number of single members, and the countries your members live in. Members that rarely holiday exchange their time and use your resort ( those members that regularly use your resort are invaluable as they are your ambassadors around the pool and in your restaurants look after them and get your program right because they are your unpaid salespeople. )  How many members have requested to exit what is their reasons? Get numbers and percentages this will be invaluable.

Ensure you can identify your members information within a simple format. A simple software program will enable you to store this, for example to download a list of members that access your resort(s) on a regular basis. The more you know about your membership the better the service you can provide and it will ensure that future policies are shaped partly based on your memberships needs, wants and fears.

Do you want a sustainable membership?
Then Design and market for your ideal membership - This can work more effectively if you market for members more relevant to your resort/club. What is your resort’s Unique Selling Points? If you don't have one then create one! Why should any one choose your club/resort and not another club/resort?

What is one of the first things that a prospective member is going to review in this day and age when considering new ownership with your company? Your Resort Website and thats the start! - This is not just about portraying a professional image. How could you draw upon your strengths and appear more attractive to visitors considering your club/resort. A growing percentages of prospective owners will review your website when considering ownership and also anything else that pops up on the Internet with your name on there. What is your website saying about you? What is a forum saying about you?

Customer Care
How to create a memorable holiday experience? This goes one step beyond the physical product. Consumers base their decisions on quality of service. Do more than what’s expected. This should start before your guest/member arrives at your resort. What makes you different? Are your staff trained/educated in customer service? When was the last time this was tested? 

Building a relationship with your club members.  By obtaining an emotional connection with regular updates that involves them. In turn, your members will become your best ambassadors. You may also identify set skills amongst your membership that you might be able to call upon. Get your members involved!

Supporting your Timeshare Owner on The Best Use of Timeshare
- What follow up procedure should there be in place not just after a sale takes place, but that should be ongoing?  A good place to start is to ensure that your members have access to some basic education on the best use of timeshare, but on a level that is relative and in a format that is easily accessible and easily absorbed.  There is so much that could be done and its simple to do.

Your Exit Strategy
is what could define the future of your resort/club review post 5 http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php/topic,18767.msg57153.html could be one of many Exit Strategies to consider?

"Your success is in direct proportion to the amount of VALUE you deliver to your members!"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:09:15 by charlie1 »

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
3) Half the problem is to know where you are before you look for the best solutions to a challenge.

Do you have the right timeshare product? This has to be of real benefit to the consumers who use it and not from a business perspective. Do you really believe in your resorts product? You can change the product more easily than you can change your consumers.

What would attract families to your resort, how do their needs change and how can you cater for this.

How to attract the younger generation? - What are there perceptions of the timeshare Industry. What are they looking for? What can be done to attract the younger generation? Where is this market place and what has to be in place to attract them to your resort?

Selling Timeshare Companies
what Selling techniques do you employ– most need to be reviewed and the sales presentation adapted to assist the new member absorb the working process of their product. Some sales teams have not changed over many years and your presentation has been seen many times. How could yours be different from their previous presentation? How can this be done professional and with respect! :o

Debt Collecting Resorts -- Those Resorts that apply this procedure to members who don’t pay their maintenance would prefer just to be able to replace those members. Most are just trying to protect the resort and their members from rising costs. They must be aware that having a debt collecting procedure in place will not help when marketing for new member’s as this policy becomes known around the pool and in your bars and on forums. They need to review their exit strategy and marketing.  ???

More awareness and care for the disabled timeshare owner
– This is a massive market that the Timeshare Industry has not recognised, and it does need the Industry's attention. Existing owners will have mobility and disability challenges as we mature more can be done.
Holidaying with a disability or a mobility issue just means that we have to put in a little more preparation. Timeshare resorts are a great alternative to traditional hotels. Timeshare apartments are much more spacious than traditional hotel rooms, offering living rooms and dining areas. A big plus is the Kitchens - Especially for those with special dietary needs, finding acceptable restaurants in an unfamiliar area can be a chore.

The "singles" market
– Timeshare does not have to market this as it’s growing internally! Owners may be widowed, divorced or just want to holiday on their own. Timeshare needs to adjust to identify and support those members so they feel welcome and promote activities they can get involved in. This can be within the location of the resort.

How to sell timeshare – If your owners wish to sell? If you don’t have a sales team there is various options that can be considered? Thinking resorts need to know how to best utilise their existing resources to promote their timeshare. Also how the timeshare owner can consider there own options if they wish to sell privately. Why not consider a selling company to promote your weeks that has a good track record they do exist.

Resale Companies - You need a win-win scenario with a pro-active Resale Company that can promote weeks from a resort that has a high number of owners wishing to leave without just having a long list on their website! The Resort and Resale Company need to work together this has been discussed on a couple of threads.

In all Industries it is found that it’s not the biggest companies that survive or those who have the most resource. It is the companies that listen to their consumers and is more adaptive to positive change.

Each resort requires a "personalised" solution to an area that is a challenge to them. There is not one size that fits all.

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
4) Marketing your club/resort

Start the process of building your membership with new relative members that would enjoy your resort.

Establish what is your Unique Selling Point or create one. Create a link within your website relative to your USP that would be attractive to a niche market. Does your resort have its own golf course or one near by that you could create a working business relationship? Does your resort have trails or walks nearby? Is your resort dog friendly? What about fishing nearby? Perhaps a nature reserve nearby? Maybe bird watchers could be interested. Is there a beach nearby? What about watersports? Are you disable friendly? Do have unusual places of interest nearby perhaps historic interest? Do you cater for families? Are you able to support single travelers? The list goes on…..

What is your U.S.P or what could it be? Find out and enhance this. Reach out to those specific market places and find out what would be attractive to this unique niche. Half the job is done as these potential new members are coming in with a different mind set and have an interest in your resort. Having the ability to exchange as well is just a bonus!

If you have that niche and they enjoy your resort than its less likely that your lose your new members to other timeshare companies that try to lure your members away.

This is very different than salespeople sitting in front of someone who that has to be sold too.

Once you got this right, then you can start designing your membership with members that would really appreciate a resort that catered for their niche.

Dog friendly – advertise with dog friendly magazines and online dog sites. If you have nature trails or walks nearby – advertise with hiker clubs, guess what I would do if you had golf nearby….

I think we get the idea there’s obviously more involved and a process but you could make a start and begin inviting potential new members in that would appreciate your niche. Any queries on this post away or pm me. Were all here to help.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 17:19:37 by charlie1 »

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
5) Selling and Promoting Low Season Weeks.

How many of us really know our members? Real useful knowledge with the correct action is key.

If I was a resort or I wished to sell small packages of points I would survey all my low season owners or those that have a history of holidaying at low season. There are a number of questions to ask including the following.

1) Why they bought at that time of the year.
2) If they access the resort at that time of the year or other resorts low season and ask why.
3) What it is they visit in the local area in low season. Ask questions find out more.

If surveyed intelligently this should reveal to you the types of potential new members that would be more suited to own or use low season weeks.  ;D

When I have established the types of consumers more suited to low season. I would then specifically market for those types of people.

For example there’s a resort that has a number of visitors who visit low season to watch the birds on the estuary as they migrate and other birds do a fuel stop from Russia or Canada. Guess what I would do?

Promote my resort in a twitchier magazine with just a one liner promoting the link within my website with details of this unique feature at my resort. There would be a simple process that would follow to turn perhaps a mild interest into a potential new member.

If you survey correctly there’s a lot of useful information that can be obtained.

If you have a a good emotional connection with your members then why not contact those members that access low season and provide an incentive if they provided successful leads. It’s more than likely they will have friends who will share the same interests. There are a percentage of new owners that will try to own at the same time as there friends.

Is there a better Exchange Company better suited to low season timeshare owners? Perhaps this could be used when speaking to new potential low season members.

This is just a small sample of strategies that could be used to market your low season time.   :D

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
6) Debt Collecting Resorts -- Those Resorts that apply this procedure to members who don’t pay their maintenance especially for those that have life style challenges are sabotaging the resorts reputation and reducing their chances of acquiring new members as this becomes known.

They also tar the rest of the Industry with their brush!

Start looking for positive solutions and work towards them and if you cant, get someone in who can!

Its not rocket science if you’re a selling resort prospective new members will meet your existing members around the pool and in the bar and see this discussed on the forums. What would you like them to be saying about your club/resort?

It does not matter what products you are offering new prospective members they are going to be influenced by the resorts feel good factor. How your members feel about their club/resort not what the salesman will say.

The big three are

1) As well as short-term products you should also offer the choice of a long-term contract with exit strategies built in.

2) Be pro-active with your marketing and in part start marketing for suitable new members that would be a good fit for your resort.

3) Go the extra mile as far as customer service is concerned and do the unexpected. Make sure they have a positive experience, as some of this can be supported by the positive attitude they will catch from your staff the gardener to a receptions meet and greet to the sales person. Train your staff to show they care.

Debt Collecting Resorts will have a limited life span with a diminishing membership.

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
Hope is not a strategy if you want to increase your membership.

Selling Resorts should...

Stop disguising update meetings, and welcome meetings and using this as a rouse to sell your membership some more product with a 'new' angle to gain extra business from your member.

Take a step back and remember hope is not a strategy

Start by choosing to take control.

Begin by putting yourself in your members shoes and work out what they really want and need to suit their personal holiday style.

Start by thinking about how to nurture your valuable relationships with your members. Find ways to get yourself in front of your members in ways that adds value to them.

Learn how to have pain-free holiday checks and discussions with your members without a sales promotion.

These should be non selling meetings with a genuine desire to see how members holiday now and if there making full use of your system and any other exchange companies your member can access.

In an ideal world this should be an educated resort representative on a basic not commission! They have a different job spec and that's to ensure existing members are working the system.

A thinking resort will have specific questions to ask to assist the member uncover how to work the system. The representative will have listening skills and not just work from a script!

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I will learn.

If the resort interviews members in different seasons they will uncover why they became members at this time of the year and what they visit and do at this time of the year. This will identify trends and assist marketing in identifying new member types that would be ideal for your resort at different times of the year.

Then specific marketing can take place to attract your ideal member.

Existing members if they appreciate your genuine support will become your ambassadors of your resort if you listen and help them genuinely to better their holidays.

This can only help as members will start to introduce referrals with some simple referral programs. They in turn will help generate a feel good factor around the resort.

Sales will obviously take place even with existing members as they become educated on what is relative to them and their holiday style. Those members that have a need will want to buy! Rather than being sold to.

This may be difficult for some selling resorts to understand and to come away from an old selling strategy of selling for the sake of it. That's a false economy that will have many  reprucussionns  eventually as your members will be warning off those who will be attending your 'update meetings'

Consider holiday health checks for your members with non selling staff. In Financial services we had service meetings with our clients and this regularly proved of benefit to our clients. This produced referred leads and more business.

Its time to consider new marketing and promotional methods. There are many different formats that selling resorts can personalise.

Its time to move on.

Offline ivyleague

@Charlie1

Timeshare is a great concept and you will enjoy a lifetime of holiday experiences as long as you own the right product to suit your holiday style and take the time out to do a little homework.

But at McDonalds people who did their homework and they owned the right product to suit there holiday style may find in a short space of time it taken away from them by the decision of others.

To be sold a product that is said to be great that can be used for years and don't worry we'll sell it or rent it if required but now as an owner be told by the same people it can't be rented and it can't be sold and there are massive bad debts so will have to pay us £2000 to relieve yourself. Does seem a bit strange.

Sorry if I've sent the thread off track but in the present circumstances your foot note raised a smile.

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
This post has taken the thread off course, but you said it so nicely I thought I would explain my footnote.  ;D The footnote is a warning to prospective new owners to do their homework prior to ownership. Not enough is done with a little research before purchase. Ideally we should ask for time to take away our contracts and read them in isolation highlighting any areas of contention if this is not satisfied by the salesperson then ask for clarity in writing. If not happy then walk away. Then once an owner if you follow some basic tips and work the system your have some great holidays. It is also there for existing owners to say more can be made of your ownership if we work the system.

Most owners do not know how to work the one or to two Exchange Companies they know about let alone that there’s at least several good Exchange Companies out there. There are a number of threads on this forum that help simplify timeshare use. This information is available in past threads on this website if you do a simple search or ask.

Through knowledge I have saved tens of thousands in holidays by working the system. Just this year so far we have taken a holiday last week using a bonus week that cost £189 including flights for four the total cost was under £580 and that was for a sleep 6 over seeing a Harbor and a Mariner in a quite part of Ibiza. Two months before then we booked for three weeks in a sleep 6 in Florida for £487 and from our balcony we could see the Disney fireworks go off each night in the distance. Including Flights for four it came to just over £2,500. Friends of ours went to Florida and stayed at a private villa through a travel agency in November for two weeks at a cost of £8,500 and they did not have access to all the facilities including free entertainment. Details here of the Florida bonus weeks http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php/topic,18724.0.html

Anyone in Timeshare regardless of what you own could have booked these bonus weeks. I started this other thread on how you can reduce your timeshare and maintenance costs http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php/topic,18567.0.html

For time served timeshare owners most did not intend to purchase a timeshare they just ended up on a presentation and bought on the day under pressure to buy with some incentive and did not review their contract in any depth. However we can make this work more effectively for you and your family and friends with a little knowledge.

In the case of MacDonald’s each member must make their own decision after taking on all the facts as this month progresses.

No new policy will suit everyone but I believe that most members will find this proposal more attractive than where they are now as I believe that some of your resorts will not be viable as debts increase and your fees go up accordingly. However you have to ask questions so you can review whats relevant to you.

If I bought a contract that the seller agreed to and the terms and rights for ownership was on my contract and after investigation I found that a proposal was not in my Interest than I would seek legal guidance.

Those that are not happy and the vote does not go their way must either decide to run with the majority or if they feel strongly about this do as suggested.

@Charlie1

Timeshare is a great concept and you will enjoy a lifetime of holiday experiences as long as you own the right product to suit your holiday style and take the time out to do a little homework.

But at McDonalds people who did their homework and they owned the right product to suit there holiday style may find in a short space of time it taken away from them by the decision of others.

To be sold a product that is said to be great that can be used for years and don't worry we'll sell it or rent it if required but now as an owner be told by the same people it can't be rented and it can't be sold and there are massive bad debts so will have to pay us £2000 to relieve yourself. Does seem a bit strange.

Sorry if I've sent the thread off track but in the present circumstances your foot note raised a smile.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:13:01 by charlie1 »

Offline JohnB57

This post has taken the thread off course, but you said it so nicely I thought I would explain my footnote.
But it's not really a thread is it? It's more of a personal diatribe, a stream of consciousness that veers into mild condescension when someone says something that doesn't quite accord with your own point of view, as in your comment above and your earlier response to a post I made. That and a regular endorsement for Hapimag.

The point is that the market for the tired timeshare business model is shrinking at light speed and your "footnote" has to be read in the context of that as well as the content of your posts. If the vast majority who got into timeshare had been able to do their research properly, they'd have run very quickly in the opposite direction rather than signing on the dotted line. A significant majority were bullied into timeshare and given no time to do any homework at all and even if you research the pros and cons in forensic detail, the goalposts can still be moved right in front of your eyes - it was with ours.

To paraphrase a well known saying: "You can't polish a timeshare". And sticking a flag in it doesn't make it smell any better.
Timeshare ownership. The natural antidote to diazepam...

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
Were all entitled to how we see things and I am here just to help guide and support where I can.

Timeshare did not adapt and change with the times as a lot of Industries did and to a large extent is still caught in a time warp. Thats in selling strategies, products, attitude, after care service, non licensing etc etc

We can either go with the flow and stay as we are or try to do something about this and assist to bring about some much needed changes.

I am not only trying to educate new consumers considering timeshare but existing members making better use of their timeshare what ever they have. Perhaps even bring some education so that the Industry might consider some changes.

I also mentioned If I bought a contract that the seller agreed to and the terms and rights for ownership was on my contract and after investigation I found that a proposal was not in my Interest than I would seek legal guidance.

My cup is half full and thats how I live my life.

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
In all Industries it is found that it’s not the largest companies that survive or those who have the most resource. It is the companies that listen to their consumers and is more adaptive to positive change.

A Companies biggest asset is their consumer. That is key to a successful business and that should influence policy and how the business is run.

It is essential that all challenges be viewed from the consumer’s point of view as well as the Companies as the two obviously have to work together. The business has to be profitable and the consumer needs to feel as if they are receiving value. When an opportunity arises to provide a solution this has to be fair and in balance.

Each Company and its consumers have their own challenges.  As such, each business is trusted to find a fair and positive "personalised" solution. All concerned must accept that not one size fits all and we need to take that into consideration and how to deal with this.

Whenever a Company is looking to introduce change it must have the ability to look around corners.

1) If I do this now, how does this impact upon my business and that of our consumers?
2) Project ahead and theorise 12 months down the line. What if we asked the same questions again? Can we adapt or have we set in motion a solution thats difficult to change course.
3) Will this solution impact upon the way that our consumers can benefit from our product?
4) Should we involve other experienced personal from outside of the company to ensure we are not looking at this one dimensionally.
5) Have we sufficient up to date feedback from our consumers to ensure our solution is current.
6) Ask yourself how can we improve upon this?
7) How could our consumers and prospective consumers view our recommendations in 12 months time?
8) Will this be good PR for the company now and in 12 months time.
9) Is our solution fair and if it’s found that the solution is one-sided are we open to change?

This maybe less relevant if the business intends to change its business model in some shape form or another.

The danger is some Companies/Leaders have a closed mind and do not listen with the intent to understand. They listen with the intent to reply
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:34:14 by charlie1 »

Offline Mavo

• Global Moderator
In all Industries it is found that it’s not the largest companies that survive or those who have the most resource. It is the companies that listen to their consumers and is more adaptive to positive change.

A Companies biggest asset is their consumer. That is key to a successful business and that should influence policy and how the business is run.

It is essential that all challenges be viewed from the consumer’s point of view as well as the Companies as the two obviously have to work together. The business has to be profitable and the consumer needs to feel as if they are receiving value. When an opportunity arises to provide a solution this has to be fair and in balance.

Each Company and its consumers have their own challenges.  As such, each business is trusted to find a fair and positive "personalised" solution. All concerned must accept that not one size fits all and we need to take that into consideration and how to deal with this.

Whenever a Company is looking to introduce change it must have the ability to look around corners.

1) If I do this now, how does this impact upon my business and that of our consumers?
2) Project ahead and theorise 12 months down the line. What if we asked the same questions again? Can we adapt or have we set in motion a solution thats difficult to change course.
3) Will this solution impact upon the way that our consumers can benefit from our product?
4) Should we involve other experienced personal from outside of the company to ensure we are not looking at this one dimensionally.
5) Have we sufficient up to date feedback from our consumers to ensure our solution is current.
6) Ask yourself how can we improve upon this?
7) How could our consumers and prospective consumers view our recommendations in 12 months time?
8) Will this be good PR for the company now and in 12 months time.
9) Is our solution fair and if it’s found that the solution is one-sided are we open to change?

This maybe less relevant if the business intends to change its business model in some shape form or another.

The danger is some Companies/Leaders have a closed mind and do not listen with the intent to understand. They listen with the intent to reply

Just back from a lovely break from the internet and reality.

Personally I can think of a couple of developers who need to avidly take on board what charlie1 has posted above. A bit of forward thinking and a few changes to some ideas would not go amiss and may well avert pending storms in the short months and years ahead. But hey! what do I know? It is just my personal opinion.
tomeluk

Offline netpots

Having been to one of the Road Shows of MacDonalds owners I agree with Mavo. In my case I do not think MacDonalds have looked outside of their own company. There are two types of timeshare owners ones which always holiday at their 'home resort' and those that use exchange companies. MacDonalds only really want their owners to holiday in their resorts, and I feel this applies to all companies that have their own points system. If MacDonalds had thought it through more AND consulted owners more they would have realised this as the biggest concern to the majority of owners is 'I want my week in my apartment at my resort'. The fact that MacDonalds have not even consulted with RCI bears this out.
Yes we need exit strategies but lets be realistic 4 x maintenance fees how is that going to encourage new owners?????

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
You Get What You Measure and Reward

At Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos is famous for leaving an empty chair at the conference table. This leaves those attendees know it’s occupied by the “the most important person in the room”—the customer. He backs up that symbolism with an array of services and support of which around 80 percent relate to what customers care about. 

Most Timeshare Companies I believe have forgotten that their members are their most important asset. Some have no real idea of what's important to their members/guests and what would make the difference as their out of touch and no longer have the pulse of their membership.

Make sure that you have a measurement of where your member is with regular proactive thinking surveys and interaction.

Do you have a suggestion box/email that allows your employees and members to interact with you. The chairman of Sainsbury's looked at these personally every couple of weeks and some of the best ideas came from the shop floor!

Reward and encourage employees to listen, think, empower, create, delight and surprise by going the extra mile. Your front line staff from the person on your phones to the maintenance that interact with your members daily as they go about their work to the receptionist who gives that warm friendly greeting and sales sales staff that should be trained to the highest standards to take every advantage to create a service and an experience of your brand. These habits will leave your members and guests addicted and they will want to come back for more.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:10:29 by charlie1 »

Offline charlie1

• Global Moderator
Timeshare marketing departments!

Over the years I have been looking at the poor Marketing tactics by a worrying percentage of Timeshare Companies, using the likes of Groupon and discounted booking companies. (Nothing wrong with these companies but not in timeshare)

Now I know that some small Timeshare Companies don't have marketing personal and the marketing ends up at the door of the resort manager whose main objective is help fill the resort. They look at some money coming in is better than none, with the hope that they may also spend on the resort.

However the Marketing personal in some companies need to be reviewed or send them on courses as you need real marketers with a strategy.
Resorts using the likes of Groupon and discount booking companies is that your marketing company at its best??

How is that called marketing? That's
Survival thinking! Short term gain! Now where is that heading?

The damage this does to the timeshare Industry is self sabotaging!

1) This devalues your timeshare resort. Why would anyone consider buying a timeshare??

2) Disillusions their club members when in a lot of cases these guests are paying a lot less than what members are paying for maintenance.

3) What about your owners trying to sell? How is that helping them?

4) If you have salespeople is this helping them? Is this motivational for them.

5) A lot of these people are not even sitting on presentations.

6) Also most of these people coming in for a small cost are just not the right market for timeshare.

On Monday at a resort that shall be nameless I came back from a meeting to find my wife around the pool with my two young children where 4 young men had just sat behind them cursing and being fairly graphic about their exploits with the opposite sex last night. I told them to move on, then I looked around the pool area and saw other groups like this. They came via a discounted online travel company.

I could see some other groups around the pool and could see some distressed owners and felt sorry for them having paid probably good money to be a part of this 'exclusive' club.

Marketing departments need to get a number of strategies together, this has been mentioned many times just one example below.

Get a strategy together by first establishing your ideal member that would be suited to your resort. Not just anyone with a pulse!  :o

What's unique about your resort or could be? What type of people would ideally suit your resort. One of your jobs could be to identify how to contact these potential new members. We have been through this before for example if your a golfing resort or have access to local golf clubs at discounted rates. Then market  golfers and put a package together.

Advertise a one liner in a golfing publication for example with a link to a web page that has been specifically designed to provide them more details and images of the golf course and your resort

Put together on your link how you can benefit from free golf or whatever incentive you care to mention. Request here providing us your name and best email address for more information etc.

This should be a simple process and this is just part if it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 13:25:35 by charlie1 »