Reminder guide on how to exit timeshare

Offline charlie1

« on: February 21, 2016, 21:53:05 »
I have reproduced this suggested guide as I am finding timeshare owners attending sales presentations and are persuaded to enter another scheme they would not have considered if there was not the promise of disposing of their existing timeshare.

Before a timeshare owner considers exiting they should review why? Is it because they have a genuine life style challenge or is it because their timeshare does not seem to be working for them.

To begin with you need to shut out all the noise of the negativity created by those non-thinking Timeshare Companies that attracted media attention by locking in their members regardless of their members lifestyle challenges. Some Timeshare companies go beyond this by threatening their member’s beneficiaries with timeshare debt. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Its rare that I come across such a very poor business decision on this scale in my opinion.

Next you need to put in your earplugs for those Companies that are promoting exiting for their gain!

Now thats done its time for the timeshare owner to consider why THEY want to exit and everyone will have their own reasons. To my experience there are a high percentage of timeshare owners that consider leaving because timeshare is just not working for them. Most have never been shown how to work their timeshare. If that’s the case then put your questions to this forum and you may be pleasantly surprised. If your feeling overwhelmed with timeshare then review this link on best use. http://www.timeshareweekly.com/index.asp?bid=94

If it is a life style challenge consider these steps.

1) The first thing to do is contact your Timeshare Company. There are Timeshare Companies that allow members to exit!! There are others that will listen to genuine lifestyle challenges and allow members to leave. I have known timeshare owners to pay to come out of their Timeshare to a third party when they could have exited freely!!

2) If your Timeshare Company will not still allow you to leave there has been plenty of guidance provided on this forum by experienced timeshare owners alongside those in the legal profession that may assist. There have also been other Companies on here offering their services to assist the consumer. Knowledge is power join this forum freely and access the search facility and do a simple search, as lots of past advice has been provided in general and specifics that may relate to your Timeshare Company.

3) There are those timeshare owners that will write an appropriate letter to their Timeshare Company and just sit it out and ignore the threats and telephone calls and just ride it out. I have yet to hear of a Timeshare Company take anyone to court successfully in the UK. 

4) There will be those consumers that would prefer to seek the assistance of a company to walk them out.

This forum would welcome those businesses that feel they can provide this service. We need transparency - mutual respect - honest intent and not to try to play the forum. There will be questions I am sure but that can only be a good thing, as no one is going to come on here unless they genuinely feel they can be of service. Those members that want to be walked through their exit are aware that there will a cost involved that works, as long as they see value.

Timeshare Companies that don’t have a fair exit option need to wake up because your members are going to leave anyway! They need to turn this around and take control and put together fair exit strategies that does not cost their loyal members. This should be worked in with a timeframe that allows the Timeshare Company to get its house in order with new timeshare contracts that will attract new members so new members coming in will balance those leaving.

Sadly it appears as if some Timeshare Companies are so short sighted that they still have their nose in the trough trying to find different ways that they can financially gain from their own member’s plight with more schemes that cost so their member can exit! 

There are solutions but most Timeshare Companies that are on lock down are not YET listening.
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Offline As_Is

Re: Reminder guide on how to exit timeshare
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:10:45 »
There is a piece in the above post which reads:-  "I have known timeshare owners to pay to come out of their Timeshare to a third party when they could have exited freely!!"
There are one or two companies in the paralegal sector who have failed to tell you this or fail to find out which resorts allow exits without the need to employ the use of a paralegal company... They just want your money. So first port of call should always be your Resort Organisation.
Why do you never hear of this fact? The answer is that the paralegals sign you up to a confidentiality clause.. It is quite frankly not worth the paper it is written on as it would never stand up if challenged but is enough to prevent desperate and scared people from reporting should they later found out that they could exit for free.

Similarly as Charlie 1 says we have never heard of anyone being successfully taken to court for simply ceasing to pay after being refused exit. Those that sit it out and simply ignore the threats are eventually allowed to leave on signing a confidentiality clause.... As a consequence, you never hear of them as they supposedly have a large sum hanging over their heads should they break their silence and report on their successful stance in leaving timeshare.

Offline Mavo

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 21:08:02 »
Yes. If your Developer is a member of RDO please research what the mandatory agreement of all RDO members is in order to see if it can be applied in your case. The developers are not obliged to tell you they are members of RDO nor will some of them tell you of the mandatory obligations they have agreed to as members of RDO with regards to exits. If in doubt ask here.
You can be assured that we will not mislead you or fail to assist you. Put your trust in your fellow consumers and not in organisations who are being questioned at this moment in time as to where there true loyalties lie.
tomeluk

Cogland

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 18:11:52 »

I know of one person who walked away from RCI having claimed miss selling. He had the letters and threats but stuck it out and they eventually conceded.
Dont know what he had to sign but I am sure many companies do use the confidentially clause.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 19:26:52 »
I think a measure of the concerns of the industry about the future with regards to forthcoming likely court rulings is being demonstrated by CLC .
CLC will allow free exits from their products providing those exiting sign away any rights to sue CLC at some future point in time. We have to think that this is because they fear that their products may have question marks against the legality of what or how those products were sold to the public or perhaps the structure of their contracts may be questioned. Whatever the concerns it is a guide to the industries fears as to how events are unfolding.

Offline jcorrea-lawyer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 09:13:20 »
Charlie 1, it is well known that one thing that threatens, not only to persons but organisations, is to change. To me developers or traders are scared to open the doors because those that leave will be very difficult to replace. New generations are not keen of this kind of holiday product, at least as is marketed nowadays. Change, rebirth, is the only way to have a future. Everything is changing very rapidly but this is not reaching to the timeshare business. Very good post Charlie1, thank you.

CLC seems to be acting in a smart way. Their contracts not only could be null & void because of the possible applicability of the recent Supreme Court rulings, they may be declared null & void because they ignore the mandatory application of the Spanish law to those Clubs based in Spain. There are already jurisprudence from the Court of Appeal of Malaga in this sense.
Bringing legal advice on Timeshare matters throughout Spain.
Lawyer nº 1071 of the Las Palmas Bar Association. Canary Islands.
http://www.correaguimera.com [nofollow]

Offline As_Is

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:11:48 »
With regards to events in the Spanish Courts. It seems to be not a matter of if but when it all goes against the developers and the many thousands of contracts are finally declared to be null and void and new, fair to consumer, contracts are drawn up to be signed by those consumers who are prepared to do so.
It would be safe to assume that the lack of activities in this direction by most developers is not building any trust with their customers and the longer they delay in responding to events the more consumers will not have the confidence to sign up to a new and fairer contract if and when one does appear.
Procrastination is not the best way forward is my way of thinking as the clock is ticking on this one. 

Offline Marvin

• One life
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:27:14 »
The problem is who wants to give up easy money?
I'd rather be in the minority and right, than in the majority and wrong. After all I only have to live with myself!

Offline charlie1

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:22:01 »
The problem is who wants to give up easy money?
Timeshare Companies should be evaluating their stats - a sobering question to ask themselves is? How many members did you have 5 or 10 years ago compared to now? Most will find their members are leaving anyway. Regardless what threats a resort will apply timeshare owners are still leaving. Why is this?

1) The internet is educating timeshare owners on what steps to take. For example the first post provides a basic guide.

2) There are more companies forming, as Timeshare Companies have created another huge market place by not adjusting with life style changes and have largely ignored their members. Most have so far ignored a solution that would be fair to their members for exiting and they have just kept their business hat on. Now there is a massive market of timeshare owners looking for an answer to their concerns if their Timeshare Company is not providing a fair exit option

3) New Companies and Timeshare Companies are amplifying and scare mongering
timeshare owners to 'upgrade' and take their product in exchange for their product.

4) Scam companies just scare monger
and do little else than take a timeshare owners money then simply disappear.

There needs to be a change starting with Timeshare Companies taking back control and personalising their own exit strategy. All the aforementioned would disappear. How could anyone approach your members if the member is aware that they have an option to exit fairly without paying a financial penalty?

• Perhaps some Timeshare Companies are waiting until they lose another 20% of their membership.
    Where will your future members go that are leaving?
    If its not a lifestyle challenge will they simply stop taking holidays?
    Will someone else benefit from your membership and future revenues?
    Do you even know your membership?
    Do you have annual surveys with thinking questions that will help steer your company?
    How can you attract new members with the message you are sending out? Pay to come in - you either cant leave if you cant sale your timeshare or pay us another chunk of money to leave??

There are workable solutions that should be debated and personalised - but most will still try to sit it out as they have done year after year watching their membership shrink. They are allowing their members to be picked off by other companies at a cost to the member and their own Timeshare Company.

The one thing we can guarantee is change and if some Timeshare Companies do not adjust they will simply become another victim of their own incompetence. It is nothing to do with Timeshare becoming a dated model. it is simply the fact that they have failed to provide a product relevant to the 21st century in timeshare.

We will find that as time progresses those Timeshare Companies that do not penalise their members if they wish to exit will be known and promoted. Timeshare Companies that do not charge a fee for exiting will become more attractive to the younger generation as they become more educated on best use.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:28:42 by charlie1 »
Timeshare Weekly is an Independent website working with those who share similar ideals. We are here to guide the consumer make the very best of timeshare. We encourage positive change and solutions. Your either living in the problem or your living in the solution. Contact graham@timeshareweekly.com

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 10:53:49 »
The root cause of all that is wrong in and around the Timeshare Industry from a lack of exits to the growth of Leisure Credit Companies who give very little in return for a lot of your cash, Paralegal Companies who sell you a service that you could and should be able to do for yourself. Right down to the blatant scam companies who give nothing apart from showing you an, expensive for you. disappearing trick. All this is down to one sector of the industry and one sector only and that is the Timeshare Developers who with one fell swoop could show us all a really good trick and make all these hangers on disappear for good in one fell swoop. But history shows that they will all talk about it at the forthcoming TATOC Conference and do exactly nothing. This is why timeshare has gained the reputation and standing that it suffers from today.
 Timeshare in the eyes of the general public is now a dirty word simply because of it`s inertia.

Offline Marvin

• One life
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 08:01:01 »
I'd rather be in the minority and right, than in the majority and wrong. After all I only have to live with myself!

Offline Marvin

• One life
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:08:25 »
And another:

http://www.timeshareconsumerassociation.org.uk/2016/02/24/telemarketing-oap-sentenced/ [nofollow]

For a guide on how to exit timeshare please see first post on this subject by Charlie, don't end up as an 'also scammed' on a report by TCA

Offline eneri

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:05 »
I'm no legal expert but doesn't the two examples quoted by Marvin emphasize the difference about how the law in the USA and the UK treats its citizens who have been defrauded by these unscrupulous people.

Offline Marvin

• One life
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 12:53:02 »
EMBASSISINGLY, YES

The same as it does for banking crisis convictions....

Offline Marvin

• One life
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 13:56:15 »
Many people ask the same questions about exiting timeshare so to help I have brought this topic up again.

Check out the first post in this thread by Charlie1 and good luck.  ;D

Offline rrb

• Hi all who want to get rid of their timeshare
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 21:59:06 »
All good - but surely we should be able to get our money out also - not just give them back so they can catch other people in the same predicament

i think we should be able to go to court and get the contract null and void and get our invested money back

there is a firm doing just that - there is a cost but it is worth it as they are good at what they do.

canarianlegalalliance.com/silverpoint-victory-contract-declared-null-and-void/

Regards

rrb
We will be stroger together

Offline paulmccomb

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 16:24:32 »
 :'( Bought timeshare with Marriott, it's like a millstone round our neck due to the very high maintenance fees now nearly £7000 per year!! Contracted their resales department. They say they do not want it back. We bought weeks in Phuket when we were staying in a Marriott property in Spain, told it was an investment for our children and that people were renting their weeks out on ebay for £8000. The lease is for 80 years. Can anyone advise how to get out of this nightmare. Would the Spanish law cover something sold in the Spanish Mainland even though it was in another county.

Offline Norm de Plume

• Arthur Stuttard - Retired Barrister
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 10:37:31 »
What does the contract say about jurisdiction? You could stop paying and see what happens.
If you have found the advice I have given useful and I have saved you some money, perhaps you would like to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Charity, mentioning my name. (www.prostatecanceruk.org)

Offline Roadrunner

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 14:48:53 »

I know of one person who walked away from RCI having claimed miss selling. He had the letters and threats but stuck it out and they eventually conceded.
Dont know what he had to sign but I am sure many companies do use the confidentially clause.
I am cancelling my timeshare contract, and true, I can do this free of charge direct with the resort but I have to sign a disclaimer waiving all my rights and means I could never go back for any further claims or compensation, so I have decided to use a paralegal which did not cost an awful lot.

Offline colinc1

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 06:59:36 »
Good morning everyone.

Is it still the case that no Timehare company has yet successfully taken an owner to court and succeeded in respect of non payment of maintenance fees?
We have time in Portugal with Resort Solutions.

Thanks in advance.