Selling My Timeshare

Started by redpepper, March 28, 2016, 16:08:31

Previous topic - Next topic

redpepper

I´m still trying to sell my timeshare but finding it very confusing, I thought that they weren´t meant to charge anything to list my week but the two companies I have called so far have both said they want money up front to create the advert?

Lifensoul

Don't pay anything up front and be VERY suspicious of promises. No one wants to buy timeshare, too much of a liability. See them on the Internet offered for peanuts..
If you really want rid accept that it's worth nothing. Maybe consider being brave and just saying you want to terminate and walk away!

redpepper

I have tried that Lifensoul to no avail.  These two companies are very well known and what I thought were reputable, but I was shocked when they asked for 200 pound plus just to list it, I thought I had heard they weren´t allowed to do this, when I asked they said it was to cover their costs incase we decide not to sell?

Athena Law Solicitors

up front payments prohibited. Statute actually prohibits taking "any" consideration. Quote from the Regulations below:

"(4) Paragraph (5) applies in relation to a resale contract, the subject of which is rights under a
timeshare contract or long-term holiday product contract.
(5) No person may accept any consideration from the consumer before--
(a) the sale of those rights takes place, or
(b) the contract is otherwise terminated."

The reality however is (a) a lot of resellers are doing it and (b) from what I can tell the authorities are doing nothing to enforce these provisions.

Athena Law Solicitors

http://athlaw.co.uk

redpepper

Do you think I can state this and ask them to waiver the fees?

redpepper

The 2 companies are tatoc and rdo approved. I've contacted them before about my resort and they were little help so I can't see them being much better in this case but is it worth a call to them?  Do they regulate this activity if it's against the law?

Athena Law Solicitors

RDO and Tatoc represent the interests of their members. The authority in the UK responsible for enforcing the regulations is the weights and measures authorities! I suspect that when you complain the reseller will say that the £200 is for "expenses" and not consideration, which should lead you to ask what exactly you are getting for the £200. Is it just a listing on a website with hundreds of other timeshares or is it something more? Is it a one off or is it every year? If it is apparent it is not an "expense" then it must be advance consideration. I suspect that in 12 months time you will still not have sold the timeshare. You may be better trying to terminate with your resort.
Athena Law Solicitors

http://athlaw.co.uk

Lifensoul

Sorry ,redpepper, but I'm stitching up my sides as we speak ::) ;D !!!  If I didn't laugh I'd be crying.You might do yourself a favour by trawling past entries on this site and looking at TCA's older entries. You'll perhaps be more convinced of the provenance of the organisations you mention.
Historically on here and on TCA , much discussion has taken place re the loyalty of TATOC & RDO.....Industry or Owners???
TATOC is supposed to represent owner interests but is largely financed & supported by those in the pockets of the industry with questionable interests (Without prejudice).
In a floundering industry, many are out for whatever they can scrounge from what was initially a good idea for many. Most shares are worth nothing to sell and expensive to keep.
So much dirt and corruption when most people simply wanted a 'nice, reliable holiday' without having to manipulate a system.
But now, many are stuck with a costly albatross!!
Hence the circling vultures......beware redpepper, beware.

seager64

Hello,
Lets get the names of these two companies my guess is Travel & Leisure and Worldwide Timeshare there are many more companies that  charge. The reason to generate income  for what  ever company you or anybody else choose, to get round the law you can list for free but have to pay for Premier Advertising. As many people have stated just walk away its all bull**** about being taken to court. 
Seager64

redpepper

Quote from: Lifensoul on March 28, 2016, 20:20:50
Sorry ,redpepper, but I'm stitching up my sides as we speak ::) ;D !!!  If I didn't laugh I'd be crying.You might do yourself a favour by trawling past entries on this site and looking at TCA's older entries. You'll perhaps be more convinced of the provenance of the organisations you mention.
Historically on here and on TCA , much discussion has taken place re the loyalty of TATOC & RDO.....Industry or Owners???
TATOC is supposed to represent owner interests but is largely financed & supported by those in the pockets of the industry with questionable interests (Without prejudice).
In a floundering industry, many are out for whatever they can scrounge from what was initially a good idea for many. Most shares are worth nothing to sell and expensive to keep.
So much dirt and corruption when most people simply wanted a 'nice, reliable holiday' without having to manipulate a system.
But now, many are stuck with a costly albatross!!
Hence the circling vultures......beware redpepper, beware.

I do know that and I am not rdo or tatocs biggest fans as they have not been able to offer me any help when it came to my resort complaints and trying to get me out of the timeshare weeks I hold with one of their member resorts but this is actively flouting the law so I had hoped they would do something.  I know there is not much value in my timeshare weeks but I am lucky that over the past couple of years that I haven't been able to use them, I have been able to rent them out to cover the maintenance costs so I was hoping that there could still be a demand for them and I could recoup a little money back as I can't just hand them back.

redpepper

Quote from: seager64 on March 28, 2016, 21:05:15
Hello,
Lets get the names of these two companies my guess is Travel & Leisure and Worldwide Timeshare there are many more companies that  charge. The reason to generate income  for what  ever company you or anybody else choose, to get round the law you can list for free but have to pay for Premier Advertising. As many people have stated just walk away its all bull**** about being taken to court.

I didn't want to name them as I am still contemplating using them as they all seem to charge some sort of upfront fee so I'm stuck either putting them on ebay or using them.  Both of these companies also did say that they refund the fee once sold (ok, before you all start laughing at me over the hope of them selling....).

They must sell some weeks, has ANYONE on here had any success selling a week with them, and did you get a refund of the upfront fee?

Lifensoul

Sorry redpepper!! I didn't mean to make fun of you (must be too many chocolate eggs over the weekend!!!)
But seriously, there has been some good reliable advice both here and from TCA over the past , although the ownership changes have certainly set a few wobbles in credibility of late.......note to new owners, forum users do need to be kept in the know in order to maintain trust and credibility.
Good luck redpepper and look before you leap!!

redcar50

redpepper

I have bought and sold timeshare through resale agents.

Bought two weeks last year, so some are selling !

One was bought through The Timeshare Shop, Manchester. I think they will list it on their data base for free.

I also bought a week from Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket last year. This week was not advertised on their website, but was listed on their data base. As far as I am aware listing your week on the data base only is still free. A few years ago I paid to list 3 weeks ( did a deal on the three weeks ) and two of them sold.

In summary, what I am trying to say is both of the above companies do sell some timeshare weeks, it just depends what you have to sell. If it is an Anfi fixed week it should sell ( but note what has been said about possible legal action / compensation on other threads ).  Diamond points may prove more difficult, I have seen these for 99p on ebay and there are many listed with the resale agents.

redpepper

This is encouraging and has given me a couple of other avenues to look into.  Thank you redcar50

Marvin

unfortunetley you won't get as much good information as you would have done since the change of ownership....
I'd rather be in the minority and right, than in the majority and wrong. After all I only have to live with myself!

Lifensoul

Yes Marvin , I would go along with that.....people might say 'teething troubles' until it settles down, but there's too much we don't know about the new 'status quo' . So many of us have so many doubts based on previous duplicity away from here that we are afraid of having the riug pulled from under our feet in what we felt was a save haven. Sorry for so many mixed metaphors . But the pot is constantly boiling and many people are confused and insecure.... Still unfortunately, there are those out there who delight in keeping it like that.

Marvin

In my book the more meddling the less value.
I'd rather be in the minority and right, than in the majority and wrong. After all I only have to live with myself!