The need for a NIE number

Offline lawnmower60

The need for a NIE number
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:03:21 »
The resort I am with has claimed that they need a NIE number  for them to cancel our contract and pay us a residual amount minus 3% tax is this true a posting on mindshare says that timeshare sales are not covered by this and that only the person with the NIE number can deal with the tax authority the same as in UK
    https://mindtimeshare.me/2014/08/13/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-spanish-nie-number/
Brian

Offline daveh44

Re: The need for a NIE number
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:14:23 »
I see your confusion.

J Correa is obviously the expert and I'm sure he will clarify.

My information was that an NIE number was/is needed if your ownership was held under escuitura. As most pre 1980 deals were.

However, since ecuitura was such a nuisance, the "timeshare industry" moved on to what is generally referred to as the club system, where your timeshare contract is with the resort management. Under these arrangements an NIE was deemed to be not required.

Offline jcorrea-lawyer

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 00:13:44 »
It seems as if you were cancelling a contract with Palm Oasis, Lawnmower. What Daveh44 has said is basically correct. If the timeshare was sold as a Real State share then, when you sell it, the situation is the same as if you were selling a house or apartment. If you are Non Resident you are subject to a 3% retention over the price. All these transactions need the proper forms and pay the correspondent taxes and for all that you need a NIE number (Number for Identification of Foreigners, in Spanish Extranjeros) so you can be identified before the Tax Authorities.
Bringing legal advice on Timeshare matters throughout Spain.
Lawyer nÂș 1071 of the Las Palmas Bar Association. Canary Islands.
http://www.correaguimera.com [nofollow]

Offline lawnmower60

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:57 »
Would a NIE number be needed if you won a court case for illegal contract and won compensation is tax payable on this payment
Brian