« on: January 19, 2017, 22:37:35 »
Please can you Help

How can we get ride of a timeshare?

Kind Regards
Tracey

Offline jcorrea-lawyer

Re: Give away timeshare
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:51:18 »
That depends in which sort of timeshare product you have. Which one is your Club?
Bringing legal advice on Timeshare matters throughout Spain.
Lawyer nº 1071 of the Las Palmas Bar Association. Canary Islands.
http://www.correaguimera.com [nofollow]

Offline tracey158

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 22:17:10 »

Club Le Bristol, Isola, FRANCE 06420, France, one bed sleeps 4.

Offline jcorrea-lawyer

Give away timeshare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 15:17:55 »
Does the contract state which law must be applicable? I am afraid that it should be the French one. When was the contract signed? After 2009?
Bringing legal advice on Timeshare matters throughout Spain.
Lawyer nº 1071 of the Las Palmas Bar Association. Canary Islands.
http://www.correaguimera.com [nofollow]

Offline tracey158

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 06:19:15 »
14 Aug 1990, The timeshare is my mum in-laws, and her husband has since died, she is 80 now and can not afford the maintenance fees.

I only have part of the contract with me, bit of a sad story.

Offline lawnmower60

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 10:31:00 »
It seems that your resort is managed by this company if you contact them they may be able to help the thing I noticed from there contact page is that there registered business is the same as Interval International in the uk
  http://www.resort-solutions.co.uk/contact/
Brian

Offline lawnmower60

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 16:24:12 »
Resort solutions say on their website they are members of RDO who say there members have a code of  conduct for people in your position here is a posting from there site

RDO strengthens its code of conduct to give enhanced flexibility to “legacy” timeshare owners

RDO (Resort Development Organisation) has been aware of the problems faced by some timeshare owners, who bought their timeshare back in the 1980’s and 90’s, the so-called “legacy cases” when timeshare weeks were sold in what was called “perpetuity” and could be up to 80 years in length. RDO has therefore updated its Code of Conduct to provide more options to owners who wish to relinquish (hand back, dispose) of their timeshare.

RDO’s new requirements, recently approved by the Board, go over and above those covered by law and in addition to it now being mandatory for members to have an overall exit programme in place, the following specific new elements have been adopted (although in the case of some members and their clubs such practices have been in place already for a number of years):
•*In the event of the death of a joint owner, the surviving owner can surrender their timeshare if they wish and additionally, the beneficiaries of a will are not obliged to take on the timeshare if they do not wish to do so.
•*A timeshare owner who has been declared bankrupt may hand back the timeshare without charge.
•*If a sole owner or either of the joint owners is suffering from a long-term illness that prevents them from travelling to their resort for the foreseeable future, the timeshare interest may be surrendered.
•In all other cases, an owner may surrender their timeshare interest at any time, subject to the agreement of the RDO member. In such cases any surrender fee shall not exceed a sum equivalent to 3 years current maintenance fees.

“We have been working closely with the timeshare owners’ organisation, TATOC, for a number of months now to find solutions for those owners who have a real  need to pass on or hand back their timeshare rather than put it up for resale,” said Paul Gardener Bougaard, RDO’s Chief Executive. “Whilst one of timeshare’s greatest selling points in the past was that it gave owners many years of high quality holidays with the possibility of passing this on to their children, the recession, coupled with a change in buyers’ commitments to long -term ownership, ultimately led us to review and update our Code. We will continue to revisit this regularly to ensure that owners’ concerns are always properly addressed.”

*Maintenance fees must be up to date for the surrender to be accepted and any on-going loan repayments will be the responsibility of the owner.

 
 
 

Brian

Offline Hatty

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:56:28 »
Can anyone please confirm whether all resorts which are RCI resorts are governed by the RDO rules - given that I believe RCI are a member of RDO?  thank you for any help.

Offline Papillon

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 18:10:15 »
Please can you Help

How can we get ride of a timeshare?

Kind Regards
Tracey

Why not try and get your money back, this is what we ar doing at the moment 100% refund we hope

Offline Lifensoul

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 10:37:05 »
I wonder who Papillion is working for

Offline Hatty

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:06:49 »
It's a shame those with knowledge aren't replying to these posts. Maybe they're all on holiday!

Offline Norm de Plume

• Global Moderator
  • Arthur Stuttard - Retired Barrister
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 10:51:43 »
How do I get rid of a timeshare? How long is a piece of string? Javier Correa has asked for information. which it appears has not been provided. How can anyone advise on this basis, without the appropriate documentation and information?
All one can say is (1) try handing it back (2) if this does not work, then stop paying and see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:33:07 by Norm de Plume »
If you have found the advice I have given useful and I have saved you some money, perhaps you would like to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Charity, mentioning my name. (www.prostatecanceruk.org)

Offline Keith Hurst

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 16:12:48 »
 There seems to be a great deal of posts to the forum all about getting rid of timeshares( more than I have seen for some time) with the exception  of the  advise given by our trusted regulars most of it suspect and should be ignored. Could the increase in people giving suspect info have anything to do with the large increase of people coming on to this site and have listed there location as being in one of many oversea,s country,s   are they real ? or has this site become the ultimate home for all disgruntled timeshare owners (like me)

Offline Keith Hurst

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 11:20:27 »
And still the wonderful locations keep coming

Offline Lifensoul

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 14:13:29 »
I would be very mistrustful of anyone joining this site and offering advice. Look back at the number of posts and judge by their track record before signing up for their services.
In the end Norm's advice is sound...tried and tested and likely to cost nothing in the implementation! Never just pay up front years of maintenance and don't totally ignore solicitors letters . Reply simply and firmly .
Lakeview failed to honour their Committee responsibilities and provide suitable accounts over many years. ....result , Lakeview timeshare is no more, a lot of people did actually get some cash from the developer. I'm sure there is a lot left to come out around this sorry mess but hopefully the unfortunate situation is now brought to an end.
Just be careful who you trust.

Offline Keith Hurst

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 16:02:54 »
 My  comments were intended to say the same,  if they make one person think about the comments of the instant experts and compare them to our regular posters before clutching at straws
then I will be very happy . There are many people on this site who will give good, honest advice but remember to beware Greeks BEARING GIFTS .

Offline Beti

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 19:00:08 »
I signed a contract in 2005 but till this moment I haven't received copy of contract, I paid 400 Euros as an advance, I haven't received before signing a contract any prospect. Last  years I fight with Leisure Dimensions about copy of contract, but they are playing with me. Is it possible to get rid of timesharing in such situation?

Offline Norm de Plume

• Global Moderator
  • Arthur Stuttard - Retired Barrister
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 11:05:54 »
Much more detail needed.
If you have found the advice I have given useful and I have saved you some money, perhaps you would like to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Charity, mentioning my name. (www.prostatecanceruk.org)

Offline garipee

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 18:24:44 »
Hi
What if mortgage is fully paid and without outstanding maintenance fees but would like to get rid of timeshare in Florida. (new to this forum)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline holidayhanna

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 11:20:45 »
Hi
What if mortgage is fully paid and without outstanding maintenance fees but would like to get rid of timeshare in Florida. (new to this forum)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Exactly the same as you, garipee. So far I have found this out on legalzoom.

Inheriting a Timeshare
Many timeshare contracts include a clause that automatically transfers the timeshare to the original purchaser's children after his death. Others may include a clause designating a specific beneficiary as having rights to the timeshare property after the purchaser's death. Finally, a timeshare property may be transferred to an heir through the owner's will. In community or marital property states where no will naming an alternate beneficiary exists, the surviving spouse would usually be entitled to ownership of the timeshare, even if she did not sign the original timeshare contract.

Accepting a Timeshare Inheritance
If the timeshare contract includes a clause that automatically transfers the timeshare to you, accepting ownership of your timeshare inheritance may be as simple as contacting the timeshare property to provide management with a copy of the original owner's death certificate and your contact and billing information. If you inherit a timeshare through a will, you will need to wait until a probate judge approves all estate administration documents before you can accept the timeshare as your own. Be aware that while accepting a timeshare inheritance entitles you to all of the rights associated with timeshare ownership, it also means you agree to take responsibility for all of the financial obligations arising from that ownership.

Refusing a Timeshare Inheritance
Regardless of how you inherit a timeshare, you are not required to accept it. To refuse a timeshare inheritance, you must send a document called a "disclaimer of interest," along with a copy of the original owner's death certificate, to the timeshare property within a specific time frame -- usually nine months after the original owner's death. If you intend to refuse the timeshare inheritance, you must not take advantage of any timeshare privileges because this may cause you to forfeit your right to refuse the inheritance

......found on....legalzoom.com/inherit-timeshare.... not exactly what we want but hopefully helpful.
BTW..We own at Orange Lake CC and want to get rid.