Do we have to attend a Court hearing in Tenerife?

Offline VC76

Do we have to attend a Court hearing in Tenerife?
« on: January 19, 2018, 00:41:32 »
Hi, our case has had it's pre-trial hearing and we have now been advised by our Spanish lawyers that the Defendants have requested that we attend the main hearing in Tenerife.  Has anyone been through this or have any advice/opinion as to whether we have to go?  At no stage have we been told that we may have to attend in person.  Could well do without the expense, especially as we have to cough up another year's maintenance fee in the meantime which we are unable to claim back.  Concerned that it will prejudice our case if we don't go.  Any thoughts?

Offline Pezy

Re: Do we have to attend a Court hearing in Tenerife?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 17:17:37 »
I have heard this lately, apparently the process has changed which means the owners need to attend court and a Power of Attorney is no longer a valid substitute.

Offline VC76

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 23:28:32 »
Thanks for your reply.  So that's another wasted expense (Power of Attorney) we've had to cough up!  Just hope we get the right result at the end of the day.

Offline jaynelou

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 16:34:35 »
I am feeling a tad sick and grumpy so bear with me.
I am not brave, but this time I actually believed that getting out of my timeshare would be OK.
To make sure I didn’t get scammed I did everything I believed would protect me. I asked lots of questions, went to the solicitor’s office in spain, asked around and now I think I was scammed by a lawyer in Alicante. I am sorry I used the word scammed, maybe I should say that im too stupid to deal with getting rid of my timeshare.
The fact is, I was told that because of a new law, I could get out of my timeshare and the resort would pay me compensation. They even said my case was so fantastic that insurance companies were backing the claims. He said he was a Spanish Lawyer and attached in some way to the solicitor’s body in London, and he was, I checked.
They told me I would get all by money back and some more extra because I paid everything shortly after the 14 days ‘cooling off’ period. I could have this wrong but it’s what I believe I was told.
Well it’s not right and I’ve lost my case. I believed my Lawyer and lost thousands of pounds. My case was taken to the small courts, we won but then the case was sent to a bigger court as CLC did not agree with the decision.
As you can expect, when I won I was so happy, but when I was told it had to go to a higher court, I lost the will to live. I didn’t understand, but everything was ok or, so the lawyer said. Everything’s ok, I don’t have to worry.
I simply believed him and didn’t worry at all.
Then the higher court explained that Club La Costa won which meant I lost and the many thousands I paid in legal fees. The court said, that the terms in the Club La Costa timeshare state they were English contracts, so I was in the wrong court.
Like I say I just feel sick and will now have to deal with it but I hope my story helps others.

Offline Williamdobbs

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 17:53:45 »
that a bit grim, hope it all works out