marriott vacation club opinions

« on: August 19, 2006, 18:06:03 »
hi think i am going to buy into marriott v,c so is it a good or bad deal, better to buy resale ,easy to swap or trade for different weeks and is it easy to exchange through II, any pro's and cons feel free to post   joe [:D]

tonyg

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 03:33:40 »
Personally, I think Marriott is too expensive, but if it's what you want -go for it. Best bet is to buy resale and shop for the lowest price. I would look for a Marriott built resort as they seem to retain Marriott management better. Depending on how specific your exchanging needs are, pick a week with appropriate demand.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 13:37:02 »
I used to think they were too expensive but having experienced them I can really say they are a cut above.

We used to own several weeks at Dona Lola, a gold crown resort in the Costa Del Sol. To be honest after staying at a few Marriott's we found it difficult to go back (and have now sold all non Marriott weeks). The attention to detail is second to none, everything is spotless. They are the only holiday ownership I would honestly recommend to my friends and family.

However, it is expensive on site too..... they have a supermarket in all their resorts called The Marketplace - don't use them! Everything is about 4 times normal price. Hire a car and drive to the nearest supermarket to stock up.

C

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 18:26:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by craigbeck

I used to think they were too expensive but having experienced them I can really say they are a cut above.

We used to own several weeks at Dona Lola, a gold crown resort in the Costa Del Sol. To be honest after staying at a few Marriott's we found it difficult to go back (and have now sold all non Marriott weeks). The attention to detail is second to none, everything is spotless. They are the only holiday ownership I would honestly recommend to my friends and family.

However, it is expensive on site too..... they have a supermarket in all their resorts called The Marketplace - don't use them! Everything is about 4 times normal price. Hire a car and drive to the nearest supermarket to stock up.

C

so is it easy to swap through ii, or is it better to go on other sites and try yourself

tonyg

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 21:04:54 »
From what I have heard, trading through II is the best bet for availability. Marriott holds units for internal (Marriott) trading for 21 or more days before they are placed in the II general inventory, so trading Marriott to Marriott gives one a great internal trading advantage and better availablity for longer times.

kekouri

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:27:28 »
Most of whay everyone has said is usually true.  Particularly Tonys info on trading via II.   Yes, you can find some good deals on some of the units....Plat weeks at Manor Club in Williamsburg, Va (with free golf) have been selling and passing ROFR on e bay for $7000 US.  One Plat week  went for just above $5000....and Marriott did not put in a Right of First Refusal (not all Marriotts have this clause in their condo docs.)

But, what everyone seems to be forgetting is the maintance costs for the week.  OK....some weeks are so powerful, you might get an AC week from II when you give them your week...but the AC weeks are not very low cost like in the past. (AC is like the old bonus weeks....but now you are limited to time and prices vary....but they cost (less than maintance, though).  A Week in OP on Singer Island or Beach Place in t Lauderdale is just about $1000 US a week maint & tax

I have to agree, nearly all Marriotts are nice,,but there is a cost to this,,,and Marriott has dropped resorts that have not been 'kept' to Marriott Quality.  How can that be??? They manage....but they have been know to ask the HOA for so much in assessments that they owners may not vote for these upgrades.  (Some resorts were not upgradeable no matter what Marriott could do.)

Lowest price I've seen without a ROFR was $1000 US for a Cypress Harbour week, period unknown, via Stroman.

Lowest recent price was just under $3000 for a gold float week at Seaview CC in Galloway Township, NJ a few miles from Atlantic City.

Marriott is attempting to develop an internal exchange program.....a few resorts in Asia have been given a temporary point status.

More info on the Marriott BBSs at TS Forums and TUG.

tonyg

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:48:14 »
Not all Marriott owners are happy campers though, check this out: http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16957
It is always important to investigate thoroughly before you buy. Those of us who have been around a while call it "due diligence" and it is an essential for timesharing.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 22:33:18 »
thinking of buying a resale timeshare. Any comments on a company called "lets buy a timeshare ( vacation property resale) in Tampa, Fl.

Pompey Family

Re: marriott vacation club opinions
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 18:15:28 »
We've been Marriott owners for three years.  We bought a Platinum Harbour Lake direct from Marriott because we swallowed the sales presentation.  We've yet to go to Harbour Lake as last year we exchanged it for Fairway Villas and this year we went to Ile De France.  This year we've put in an exchange request for Hilton Head.  Marriott's are the strongest traders within II.  We had to wait a couple of months before our exchange came through which can be a bit nerve wracking.  The trade into Hilton Head might be a bit difficult as it's so popular however we'll wait and see.

We've also bought a resale gold for Playa Andaluza for £5000 and we're waiting for it to be confirmed.  We did this because we wanted to own a week that we'd be happy to go to if our trade didn't come through.  We can't afford to gamble on going to Orlando last minute every year.

Offline durgaprasadzone

Re: marriott vacation club opinions
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 15:12:48 »
Thanks for sharing info. .