Grandad did he help run £60 million mafia-style Timeshare con?

Online TimeshareTalk

• Administrator
A British grandad is fighting extradition over allegations he helped run a £60million mafia-style timeshare con.

In his defence, Paul Blanchard, 73, says he was secretly working for the Spanish secret service fighting terror.

But police claim he was part of a gang led by Mohamed Derbah – once the enforcer for gangster John “Goldfinger” Palmer, who stood trial for the 1983 Brink’s-Mat gold robbery.

Palmer and Derbah swindled millions out of tourists who dreamed of holiday homes in the Canary Isles. They fell out in the 1990s sparking a bloody turf war.

Lebanese-born Derbah, 54, set up a rival gang and paid accountant Paul for financial advice.

aul says he thought it was a “legitimate business” but when Spanish authorities began investigating Derbah, who they suspected of funding militant group Hezbollah, he agreed to help.

He said: “They approached me when I was working for Derbah and I agreed to work with them to fight the funding of international terrorism.”

Derbah and ten others were arrested in 2001 and Paul agreed to give evidence – until the long-running case hit a hitch.

Paul was jailed in the UK for his part in passport fraud, laundering £375,000 and trying to steal £4.3million from a London bank and transfer it to Spain.

He told Sheffield crown court during his 2008 trial he was secretly monitoring the movement of cash for Spanish agents.

see more here

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grandad-fights-extradition-over-claims-13248100 [nofollow]