what is a timeshare paralegal?

Started by Athena Law Solicitors, April 15, 2020, 20:22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Athena Law Solicitors

We have been getting a number of enquiries from people that are being cold called by so called "paralegals".

In nearly every case the information that people are getting from these cold callers is simply wrong and in some cases dangerously misleading.

It begs the question what is a paralegal?

I have been a solicitor for nearly twenty years. I started my career in a medium sized firm before moving to a city firm and, with partners, opening my own firm 6 years ago. I have worked with and employed paralegals. usually they are law graduates treading water until they are offered what is known as a formal two year training contract following which if they have passed a legal practice and professional skills and ethics course they are admitted as a Solicitor of the Superior Courts of England and Wales.

Save for small matters paralegals are not client facing and do not have conduct of cases. They work under the strict supervision of an experienced solicitor within a pyramid structure beneath partners, associates and assistant solicitors. Commonly their tasks are administrative in nature  - note taking, photocopying, preparing bundles and so on. Their work is checked by a solicitor. They have  no involvement in strategic decisions or giving advice to clients or serious drafting. They have no rights of audience before a court nor can they conduct litigation (which is business reserved for solicitors or barristers).

Paralegals have an important role within well structured firms as a part of a team run by solicitors.

The concept of paralegals running their own firms, unsupervised and without any formal legal education, training or qualification is unusual to the world of timeshare dispute resolution. Why is this? The reason is simple. The term paralegal has no real meaning nor is it a regulated profession. By contrast it is illegal to describe oneself as solicitor when you are not. The term "paralegal" is therefore a title that anyone, mainly ex-timeshare salesmen, can bestow upon themselves.

Athena Law Solicitors

http://athlaw.co.uk

Athena Law Solicitors

Athena Law Solicitors

http://athlaw.co.uk