clubseasons membership

clubseasons membership
« on: August 15, 2006, 20:44:23 »
I have won a clubseasons membership, but have to pay the annual maintenance fee to activate it. I want to know whether it is worth doing or not. I have no experience of holiday clubs or time share. Most people think it is a scam, is it?

Offline Doggy50k

• Senior Moderator & Quiz Master
clubseasons membership
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 20:48:33 »
I suppose that might all depend upon who or where you "won" it from.

Winning is the traditional way of catching people out in a con, but without further info it is difficult to tell.
"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

clubseasons membership
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 21:08:28 »
I won it via a website myoffers which as far as i know is pretty reputable. I am hoping clubseasons(part of seasons holidays plc) members will get back to me to tell me whether paying the maintenance fee is normal and worth the money or not!

Offline Doggy50k

clubseasons membership
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 21:20:06 »
You could probably do with having a chat with some existing seasons members.  I know there is a forum for them listed in timesharetalk, you might be able to send one of the a personal message?
"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Offline Doggy50k

clubseasons membership
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 21:26:42 »

clubseasons membership
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:37:58 »
thanks a lot

Jeff

clubseasons membership
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:42:01 »
Moved it for you casybn [;)]

neil1702

clubseasons membership
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 11:43:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by casybn

I have won a clubseasons membership, but have to pay the annual maintenance fee to activate it. I want to know whether it is worth doing or not. I have no experience of holiday clubs or time share. Most people think it is a scam, is it?

I've never heard of CLubsesaons before but after a bit of research it would appear to be Seasons new version of 'Green for GO'.
From what I can see, if you pay your maintenance fee you can book a week at one of the Seasons resorts or one of the affiliated resorts. After the first year you can only book in the grren or off peak weeks. The membership also gives you the ability to book short breaks.
Therefore, as I see it, if you pay Seasons 300 and something quid you get a holiday (no flights) and access to 'cheap' weekend or midweek breaks.
Some people might think this is very good value, others might not. It depends how much you usually spend on holdays and what sort of holidays you enjoy.
We find our Seasons membership to be great and I think we use it to the full.
The only thing to be aware of is that every time you go to a resort they will try to get you upgrade you membership. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, as we feel we are getting value for money, but it's not right for everyone i.e. think hard and do your research.
Feel free to ask any more questions as I would be only too happy to help.

Cheers,

clubseasons membership
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 13:36:44 »
hi

I too have won a clubseasons membership through Myoffers, and I had two weeks to decide what to do. I've ummmed and ahhhed for two weeks now, my time is up tomorrow, and I still haven't decided! It says its worth £2950 and I have to pay £322 per year maintenance costs. I'm mainly interested in the Whitbarrow Village resort, as its the nearest to me. I know that £322 isn't a fortune, but I haven't got spare money, so I'm worried about wasting it.

I can only take breaks during the school holidays and clubseasons say that I won't have any problems as long as I book early. There's also a 'free' 3-4 night break available to me as soon as I activate my membership (by paying up).

They also say that I'm able to sell my membership, as long as I have owned it for a year - is this easy to do? To be really honest, I'd rather pick and choose where I holiday unless it turns out that I absolutely love Whitbarrow, so its this chance of selling it that appeals to me, because then I feel that I can't lose - if selling is possible, though.

I'm really confused and unsure - I've no experience of timeshare/holiday clubs at all. [?]

(casybn - have you decided yet?)

Thanks
Kazz

neil1702

clubseasons membership
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 14:40:35 »
So, £322 gets you a weeks accommodation at a resort of your choice and a short break at one of the UK resorts. On top of this you can book more short breaks at various prices.
To me that's good value, but I would say that wouldn't I[:)]
I have to say though do not do this simply to sell in a year's time. I don'y think you'll get many takers for a green week that Seasons are forever just giving away. In theory you can sell it, but the practice might be a bit trickier.
As I said previously, if you do take them up and you have no spare cash, do not get persuaded to upgrade you membership, no matter how tempting the finance package!
I've been to Whitbarrow a few times now and it's been great. Our kids love the pool and it's a nice relaxing time. It's a bit out of the way so be prepared to drive everywhere.
Let me know if you want to know any more

Neil

Offline Simoncc

clubseasons membership
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 14:56:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by kazz

I can only take breaks during the school holidays and clubseasons say that I won't have any problems as long as I book early. There's also a 'free' 3-4 night break available to me as soon as I activate my membership (by paying up).

If this scheme is the new name for the 'Green for Go' scheme then school holidays certainly weren't covered when I checked the details. The exact weeks varied between resorts but were in all cases what would be considered out of season.

I would want any statement regarding availability in writing before proceeding.

finchcolin

clubseasons membership
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 15:12:20 »
Casybn and Kazz,

I don't think this is a scam, but as with all timeshare offers you need to think about what you would want from a timeshare week and check that the offer matches up enough to make it worthwhile.

Having been with Seasons for some years I know they try various ways to get people into their timeshare world. I won a green week four years ago with a scratch card I received when staying at their Brunston Castle resort. At that time I think a green week studio appartment was selling for around £2,500-3,000. All I had to do was pay the annual maintenance. Green weeks are basically December and January, excluding Christmas and New Year, though they vary by resort and not all resorts have green weeks.

We booked a week in Whitbarrow that December, though we were told that normally there were no green weeks, so perhaps we were just lucky. According to Seasons website Whitbarrow doesn't have green weeks at present. We thoroughly enjoyed Whitbarrow, though the temperature never rose above zero! The following year we went to Alpinus in Portugal, again in December.

But as owners of three timeshare weeks already, we didn't find this additional green week easy to fit in, so just cancelled it - effectively giving it back to Seasons. I think we only had to pay for the second year's maintenance as the first was covered as part of winning the week, so we had two enjoyable weeks at a relatively good price. With our other Seasons weeks we were told they would buy them back from us at 80% of the cost - not sure now if this was the price we paid or the current market price. I think it is fair to say you are unlikely to make a profit by selling your week.

If Whitbarrow isn't too far for a visit I would suggest you call them and ask if you could go there to look around. While the Myoffers deal might have expired, I would be surprised if Seasons were not willing to match the offer or offer something similar. After all, they want people to use their appartments. But if your main interest is in Whitbarrow you should check that any offer is valid for that resort. They have recently expanded Whitbarrow so it is easier to get a week there now than in the past, but that is no use if you have a green week and Whitbarrow doesn't have green weeks.

Colin

neil1702

clubseasons membership
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 16:37:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Simoncc

quote:
Originally posted by kazz

If this scheme is the new name for the 'Green for Go' scheme then school holidays certainly weren't covered when I checked the details. The exact weeks varied between resorts but were in all cases what would be considered out of season.

I would want any statement regarding availability in writing before proceeding.

According to the Club Seasons website, in the first year you can book a week at anytime, subject to availability of course. In subsequent years you can can only book Green/off peak weeks. The idea being to get you to visit a resort or two and then be wowed and then upgrade.

clubseasons membership
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 19:44:08 »
would like to say a big thanks to all those who replied to my initial query, has given me a lot to think about although think I will probably go for it! A big thanks to Neil for doing so much research and Jeff for moving my query to the right place! Kazz good luck with your decision!

clubseasons membership
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 20:02:20 »
One last q to those who are already members, if i choose to take up their offer and there is the odd year where I cannot take up the week's holiday, am I still liable for the maintenance fee or can I skip it?

neil1702

clubseasons membership
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 08:10:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by casybn

One last q to those who are already members, if i choose to take up their offer and there is the odd year where I cannot take up the week's holiday, am I still liable for the maintenance fee or can I skip it?

Sorry, but the maintenance fee is payable every year. However, it is possible to bank unused weeks and use them the following year. At least I can as a full member (something to ask Seasons I think).
Good luck

Neil

Offline paulh

clubseasons membership
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 21:55:21 »
does the banking system work differently for members who have purchased via resale? can you use the affiliated resorts?

the portugal property is advertised in next years cosmos book. has anyone been this year?

neil1702

clubseasons membership
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 09:01:02 »
I asked Seasons about booking a week at Alpinus for next year and didn't experience any problems. I don't think the whole place is owned by Seasons, or if it is they are letting non-timeshare people come and stay.

neil1702

clubseasons membership
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 10:11:41 »
paulh,

Have you found an answer to your question regarding what's available for people who buy resale?
The question has been raised before and I still don't know the answer.

Offline paulh

clubseasons membership
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 15:51:34 »
have not completed the purchase of my week, still waiting for documentation. once received will discover if i am a second class citizen. acording to the resale company i will have the same benefits as anyone else apart from the short breaks. Not a problem as i have joined seasons because i like the look of their resorts, and have been to the lake district accomodation which was very good, the only gripe i had was that we needed at least a two bed for my families needs, whereas we stayed in a one bed.