Calling all Donating Members

Offline Doggy50k

• Senior Moderator & Quiz Master
« on: January 03, 2007, 22:14:15 »

Other than the advertising revenue, we are the only source of income for this site.

I for one would be more than happy to make an annual renewal of my status as a "Donating Member", especially as the Boss Man is now forking out to the points winner each year.

It is my understanding that at present we do not have to renew.  

£10 per year is a small price to pay to maintain that status, and unlike some other forums it is not compulsory to enable participation.

What do you reckon?  Should the Boss have us renew our subscriptions annually?

I vote YES
"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Keitht

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 08:54:45 »
I'm sulking now 'coz you left me off the list [:(]  Do you know something I don't?

I have no objection in principle to paying toward the cost of running the site.  I certainly don't think that the little I do to help moderate the site should mean I don't have to pay a membership fee if it was introduced.

Offline jasonclements

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:11:17 »
I don't have any issues with that suggestion, Im happy to vote YES.

jason

neiltilley

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 15:01:11 »
yes.
it is a good site i want to be a part of and not a site i need to be a part off. this thread is a gentle reminder that i have not paid something for a year andd i accept it gratiously. if it were a compulsory tenner i wouldn't have an issue. having said that i will cough up 'something' upon my return in 3 weeks time. i have always wondered when my renewal date would come round. so my answer is here without the question. i notice that certain regular posters are not supporting members. i wont bare judgement as i don't know or understand website finance from ad banners, links or members and have always wondered if a moderator is paid

Mavo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 17:03:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by neiltilley

yes.
it is a good site i want to be a part of and not a site i need to be a part off. this thread is a gentle reminder that i have not paid something for a year andd i accept it gratiously. if it were a compulsory tenner i wouldn't have an issue. having said that i will cough up 'something' upon my return in 3 weeks time. i have always wondered when my renewal date would come round. so my answer is here without the question. i notice that certain regular posters are not supporting members. i wont bare judgement as i don't know or understand website finance from ad banners, links or members and have always wondered if a moderator is paid

My money will be winging its way down to the administrator too.

I too have no real idea as to how the site is financed but I do know that the moderators are all volunteers and we do not get paid and certainly on my part I would not expect to. We do it for fun?? and in order to get helpful information that we can use ourselves or pass on to others. Of course we moderators tend to absorb a bit more than most as we read every post certainly in the forums we moderate on so in the fullness of time we hope to be able to pass on our experiences of various aspects of our own forums and the developers to newcomers.

I see Neil that you are going to be absent for 3 weeks. I hope you are going somewhere nice?

Val

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 17:48:38 »
I vote yes but also what about a compulsory membership fee if you register with the site enabling you to  post to a forum thus hopefully offsetting TTs's costs

Offline Doggy50k

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 18:30:52 »
Perhaps if the Boss were to issue a gentle reminder a month before the anniversary of someones contribution?

I like the fact that the contributions are voluntary and would not want to see everyone forced to pay to participate.  I think it would be to the detriment of the site and the quantity and quality of contributions if that were the case.
"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Offline Doggy50k

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 19:08:13 »
quote:

I don't know or understand website finance from ad banners, links or members

Usually a webmaster is paid per click.  The more advertising links are followed the more money is coughed up.  

I don't know if that applies here but if it does I would encourage people to get clicking.

Traditionally this income declines over a period of time due to the treachery of the sponsors.

quote:

and have always wondered if a moderator is paid

Nope, would never consider it.[^]

Do it 'cos I enjoy it. [:o)]

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 20:17:50 »
The site is financed thus -

1) Each time a Google advert is clicked (but we are taking cents/pence)

2) Each time a banner is clicked on AND something is purchased (these are £/$'s)

3) My pocket

As I have said before, I want to try and avoid a membership fee, which is why I have always only made a point of donations. Membership fees can be off-putting to people and thus have a negative effect.

One of the other main sources of income for webmasters is pop-up advertising. This I will never use as it annoys the hell out of people and drives them away from repeat visits.

I also implicitly do not want outside financing. These people link to have controlling interests in their investments, and this I would like to avoid at all costs.

Maybe this year may see a small compulsory membership fee with optional donations. I don't know.

Thank you for all your backing though. As Doggy suggested, I will email reminders out to members 1 month before.

Oh, and no, moderators are not paid, although I would like to try and give something back each year for their efforts.

Neil, yes there are a few regular posters that have not donated, but that is their prerogative. They also miss out on the "extras".

bigfrank

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 23:47:51 »
Not sure why my name was not on the list. I donated just less than a year ago.

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 23:51:46 »
List removed as it was based on an old one. Should have read -

Carolinian
Timesharetalk
Cotswolder
green
Barbarian
LRE
Keitht
heather
jasonclements
Val
ElaineC
Jackiee
Mollie
bigfrank
magwai12
Mavo
tonyg
neiltilley
Jandj
krazykats
Simoncc
Jeff
Timex
justbrowsing
pinkkipper
craigbeck
mab
Tetta
Travel Writer
shepburn
peterkm
derekm
shougy2
blondecat
Gordon Dickson
Doggy50k
pippity
diane8631
john boy

incise84

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 18:26:28 »
A few months back I tried to make a donation but had problems with the paypal for some reason.Will try again in a couple of days but if I still have the same problem you guys will have to help me out.
Regards,
Michelle

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 19:06:23 »
incise84,

There should be no problems at all. But if you do, give me a shout and I will look into it.

Paul

Offline Jackiee

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 00:02:46 »
Having read through this topic I was so glad when I came to the 'List' you were all talking about.  I thought I too had been left off it.  

Anyway, I also think it's a good idea to fork out a donation towards the upkeep of the site.
Jackie

Offline Doggy50k

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 00:24:22 »
Sorry about the list, I was just working off what I could find on the site...[:I]

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 15:51:02 »
There are now quite a few members who are "overdue" on their renewal. I have emailed you directly. If you would like me to list them here, please let me know.

Thanks

Val

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 16:19:04 »
Have just sent a pm Paul

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 16:26:09 »
Thanks, replied to.

Sorry

daveandmaureen

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 18:33:18 »
Hi Doggy50k,

Good thread, a good point well made.

I spend a fair bit of time on TST and you are quite right I should have contributed ages ago.

After about three failed attempts I have passed the "Krypton Factor" which is the subscribe to TST system. I am now a fully supporting member and will therefore proceed to be twice the nuisance I was prior to today!!!!

Cheers

Dave K
AMOW (all my own "wedge" well at least a tenner)

Offline Doggy50k

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 18:41:38 »
Welcome to the fold Dave.

Hopefully a few more long serving (non)contributors might take note and follow in your footsteps.