Hollywood Mirage - Taxi or hire car?

pinkkipper

« on: April 24, 2007, 12:28:07 »
Ok I'm off to the Hollywood Mirage next month (don’t forget - you recommended it [:)])

When in mainland Spain I normally rent a car but do I need one for this resort?
Usual things:
Whats the cost to get there from the Airport?
Is there Parking?
Do I need a car for shopping?

Murphy

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 13:13:51 »
Taxi from the South airport should be about 20 euro but they have been known to try it on.  For the reurn trip you can buy a prepaid taxi voucher for about 19 euro which they have to accept.

There's shops within the complex, bit pricey and limited in what they sell.

You'll be woken up early on Saturday morning by the sales reps masquerading as guest services.

Murphy

Offline Jackiee

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 16:15:59 »
Ian,

Remind me, are you going for 1 week or 2?  If you want to do a big shop there's a hypermarket down in the town.  A car would probably be best for something like that.  Other than that you shouldn't really need one.

There's a supermarket across and down a bit from the front entrance which isn't too bad.  Also, the onsite shops are good for fresh rolls and bread in the morning.

The hike up 'cardiac hill' is a bit of a pain but you can walk down and get a taxi back.  They don't cost a lot.  Also, there's an hourly free bus during the day which is good.  We often walk down and get the bus back.  Best idea though is to go down by bus the first time too so you know where to go back for it.  A couple of years ago we couldn't find it because they'd changed where the bus waited!  It now stops right in at the harbour where the boat goes to La Gomera.
Jackie

pinkkipper

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 20:35:14 »
We will be there for 2 weeks - considering having a car for the end of week 1 and the start of Week 2  - but not having to carry luggage means that we can gave a smaller car

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:12:10 »
What did you use to get into the resort, points/weeks...............its quite a tough one to get into?

FishyDave

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:17:03 »
We always hire a car.  Previously we've used rentanewcar.com, but this time around we used doyospain.com on a personal recommendation.  The car turned out to be from Record, and was the usual budget deal in Tenerife: The cars are pretty new and mechanically sound, but as there's no excesses on the insurance, they don't bother to mend scratches and minor dings.

Don't get stung as we did a few years back and hire a Punto Cabriolet.  Fiat haven't made a Punto Cabriolet since 1999, so these cars are old, tired, and seriously overpriced for what they are.  The major rentals have stopped doing them, but there's still the odd place that'll charge you upwards of 200 Euros for a rag-top shed on wheels.

This time, we'd booked a Clio with air-con for around the 100 quid mark with full CDW and any number of named drivers.  For a few quid extra, we upgraded to a Picasso on the day (which was great for the cases and the baby buggy) and we paid a little more for the tyre damage/lost keys/wrong fuel waiver.  If there's not much in it on rental price, then go for a diesel: 66 cents a litre meant that we did the whole week on 15 Euros of fuel, including at least one full lap of the island.

Shopping-wise, there's a new Spar that's opened up just at the foot of the hill that the Mirage is on.  You'll pass it going up to the Mirage if you're heading from the Comodoro/Market end of Los Cristianos.  It's just past the roundabout where you turn right to go up the hill, more or less opposite Resort Properties' new luxury development, which  we nicknamed 'Balamory' for reasons which will become obvious when you see it.  The Spar is pretty well stocked, with a lot of variety and sensible prices.  Though we were surprised to find that bottles of San Miguel were cheaper in the Mirage's little supermarket, but then they were on special offer.

Parking is good for our end of the Mirage (the 6xxx apartments near the resales office.) The road has been made one-way with 'nose in' spaces either side, which has nearly doubled capacity.  Better still, the Resort Properties staff now park their Porkers and Beemers elsewhere, so there's still a very good chance of finding a space even at peak times.  I believe there's underground parking for the upper part of the complex, though I've never used it.  

One last thing:  If you're going to drive and you have a personal sat-nav, get the Tenerife map (if you don't already have it) and take it with you.  I bought the Arona 'city map' for my TomTom 700, and it covers the whole island to street level.  I reckon it was quite possibly the best 10 Euros I've ever spent.  

I got GPS co-ordinates from Google Earth for everyhere we were likely to visit before we left, and programmed a POI file onto the unit.  It did us proud, though I'm glad I took a spare external antenna for my 700, as the Picasso had the athermic windscreen and my 700 wouldn't get a signal without it.

Apologies for length.  I'm known to ramble on other forums, so why should this one be any different? [:D]

pinkkipper

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 13:16:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by treetops

What did you use to get into the resort, points/weeks...............its quite a tough one to get into?

we used points, and booked it in September last year.

We are lucky that our primary school get 2 weeks rather than one at this time of the year and we have enough points to go for a 2 bed

Offline Jackiee

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 19:37:21 »
FishyDave,

I like your Balamory comment.  I wish I'd thought of it!  I wonder what the sales reps would say if you called it that?  I'd love to see their faces. [:D]
Jackie

FishyDave

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 22:07:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jackiee

FishyDave,

I like your Balamory comment.  I wish I'd thought of it!  I wonder what the sales reps would say if you called it that?  I'd love to see their faces. [:D]

You've seen it too then?  The phrase 'eyesore' springs to mind if you ask me.  I'm not impressed if this is 'Timeshare - The Next Generation.'  Then again, 'The Next Generation' really just seems to be an excuse to sell stuff for tens of thousands rather than just thousands.

Did you get the tour too?  I saw what seemed like a health an safety nightmare, with pools you could easily fall off the edge of and crack your bonce on the ground below. Yes, the quality of accommodation was second to none, but they seemed to be selling it on 'prestige' and snobbery value.  I'm not the type to brag, but even if I were, I think that timeshare ownership might well be something I'd keep under my hat.  Forget the walk-in wardrobe and en-suite spa baths - if I'd been mugged for over five times what I paid for our week, I doubt I'd be shouting about it!

Anyway... With a two-year-old who'll watch as much CeeBeebies as we'll allow, it was difficult not to make the Balamory connection.  I did mention it to the rep, but as you can imagine, he wasn't phased by it and actually seemed quite amused.  My cynical side says it's all part of the sales patter, but he seemed like a decent bloke and we got on with him like a house on fire, in spite of him being 'the enemy.'  Ultimately, I suppose the reps are all just people with jobs to do and food to put on the table.  Like the car sales industry in the US (I think I posted a link in the RP thread) I suspect that the somewhat dubious sales strategies are dictated by the greed of those above.

While I'm here, I have just a couple of points to add to my previous post (as if it wasn't long enough.)  For starters, I made a typo in the web address - it was www.doyouspain.com that we used.  Secondly, if you're going to drive in Spain, then be aware that their drink-drive limit is just over half of ours, and that under current EU rulings, a ban over there can earn you one over here.  I don't want to open a can of worms over the rights and wrongs of drink-driving, but if someone's in the habit of having a pint and getting behind the wheel in the UK, they might be unpleasantly surprised to find that a pint of strong-ish lager has put them over the Spanish limit, and that a Spanish ban costs them their UK driving licence.

Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but it's an important point and worth knowing.

Lastly (just answering one of the original questions) - I didn't time it, but I would say that the new Spar is within five minutes brisk walk of the Mirage.  Just remember that you've got to lug your shopping back up that hill.  If you can't be bothered, then the on-site supermarket isn't badly stocked, and although a lot of the items are quite pricey, most of the basics are reasonably priced and there are still a few bargains to be had.

Murphy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 15:07:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by FishyDave
 My cynical side says it's all part of the sales patter, but he seemed like a decent bloke and we got on with him like a house on fire, in spite of him being 'the enemy.'  Ultimately, I suppose the reps are all just people with jobs to do and food to put on the table.  

You've got to be joking, I've spent time with them off duty, they are enormously cynical about the 'ups' and consider anybody who buys off them to be greedy and to deserve being conned.  They just pretend to like you to get the money.

I saw one of them clear £40,000 last November and they don't pay tax to either the British or Spanish Government, the payments are all made to offshore accounts.

If they see fresh meat on a Saturday morning which looks old and slightly confused they are rubbing their hands in glee and praying that they get the victim on their allocation.

Never confuse them with real sales people doing a real job, they are conmen and women of the worst kind and just as greedy for cash as their bosses.

Next time you're there check out the fash cars parked outside the sales office, they belong to the reps, the bosses have a safe underground carpark so they can't be seen coming and going.

Murphy

FishyDave

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 16:50:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy

quote:
Originally posted by FishyDave
 My cynical side says it's all part of the sales patter, but he seemed like a decent bloke and we got on with him like a house on fire, in spite of him being 'the enemy.'  Ultimately, I suppose the reps are all just people with jobs to do and food to put on the table.  

You've got to be joking, I've spent time with them off duty, they are enormously cynical about the 'ups' and consider anybody who buys off them to be greedy and to deserve being conned.  They just pretend to like you to get the money.

Maybe I'm just too ready to see the good in people (even if it isn't actually there.)  What I'm saying is that these guys are probably on either commission only or a very low basic plus high commission.  They're trained to behave like vultures, because if they don't, they find themselves skint in the short term, and unemployed in the not so long term.

You could argue that they could always find a proper, non-exploitative job elsewhere, but I wonder just how many opportunities there are on Tenerife.  If you want to live there, want a decent quality of living, and you're prepared to stick your moral scruples on the back burner, then maybe timeshare sales is a tempting proposition.

Besides, when it comes to Tenerife, I get the feeling that ripping off tourists is considered a legitimate business proposition.  I got suckered into putting a deposit down on a Sony Digicam - at 160 Euros, it seemed cheap, though not excessively so.  The 'angle' there is that when you return with your Visa card, they try to sell you a 'better' camera, which is actually really just a cheap piece of junk.   When you insist on the one you left the deposit for, you get to go back repeatedly and listen to excuses each time as to why it hasn't arrived.

I did get my deposit back though.