Transfer of points: multiple certificates-one fee?

Offline mrsmr2

« on: May 03, 2007, 22:30:39 »
If we bought more than one certificate from the same member and sent these to Sunterra to transfer, would we be charged a transaction fee for each certificate, or just one?

Thanks

Jason & Jan

Offline Doggy50k

• Senior Moderator & Quiz Master
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 22:42:15 »
Hi

We have just bought 55(00) points from another member.  Two certificates, one fee.

I'd be careful with your cash though - dont stump up for the certificatres at the start.  Use the escrow service from slaley2001 if you are dealing with a large sum.

We were lucky in that the vendor tusted us - we paid for the transfer and when we received the certificates in our name we sent them the balance.
"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Offline mrsmr2

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 13:56:46 »
That's good, and surprising, news.

What is a reasonable price for points at the moment?

Offline Doggy50k

• Senior Moderator & Quiz Master
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 18:12:56 »
It depends on where you are looking.

On Ebay there are several lots going at a range of prices.

We bought off the Sunterra members website where there again there are a range of lots and prices. You can always negotiate but about £10 per old point is about the going rate.
"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Offline mrsmr2

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 19:26:27 »
Thanks.  We are keeping track of ebay and £10 is a lot lower than recent deals on ebay.  Is £10 with or without management fee paid?

Pity I refuse to pay for the "member's" site.

Will keep on looking on ebay.

daviday

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 21:35:13 »
You're right, for some reason, Sunterra points (and indeed RCI points conversions) do much better on eBay than fixed weeks. Nearly all state that you've got to pay Sunterra's transfer fee in addition to the bid price.

daviday

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 22:21:52 »
If I was to purchase a fixed or floating week at a Sunterra resort does anyone know how much I would have to pay for conversion to points and whether the annual maintenance fee would be based on how many points owned (and how much might that be each year)?

mrport

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 15:29:42 »
Hi about 6 years ago we had a fixed week in sahara sunset costa del sol we traded this with sunterra at a cost of £2000 plus £299 legal fees . This gave us 40(00) points
Hope this is of some use

daveandmaureen

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:01:22 »
Belated reply for daviday,

Cost to transfer from fixed week to points I am afraid the definitive answer is ... it all depends! Not much use as an answer but true.

My wife and I bought a fixed week at Garden Lago intending to use it each year until we retired and then use it with RCI (or II or DAE) to do exchanges once we had more time at our disposal.

The first year we used the week we (more acurately I as my wife is allergic to sales reps and their presentations) was decended upon by the sales team who offered to convert our week worth 45(00) points in to 45(00) points if we paid an "Admin Fee" of £1,699. He was also prepared to, very generously, flog us another 25(00) points for about £5K, which if we accepted meant the £1,699 Admin Fee could be waived. Cutting a long story short we (rather I) declined.

Within 10 days of arriving home Sunterra Malaga e-mailed me offering us 50(00) points (an extra 5(00)) with an Admin Fee of the standard £299. We snapped his hand off, I also quickly bought another fixed week from a resale company and exchanged that for another set of points again for the Admin Fee of £299.

Clearly at this time Sunterra wanted to convert fixed week owners at Garden Lago into Points Owners, this was because at that time Sunterra only managed Garden Lago (and Cala de Mar) on behalf of the owners - CBM I think.

As a contrast a colleague at work bought a fixed week at RTCC Tenerife from someone who was in the midst of a divorce. I suggested he might find points more flexible and suggested he contact Sunterra for a conversion fee. He did and was told £2,499!!!

So as you can see it depends on whether Sunterra want more Points Owners at a Resort or not. The more people I speak to the more I think my two weeks converted for two lots of £299 was rather fortuitous. Some resorts Sunterra might not be interested at all, for example if the Resort had lots of "unsold" fixed weeks and therefore stacks of availability.

Hope this helps

Dave K