35(00) points for Sale! Advice required.

Greenpeacedave

« on: August 05, 2007, 09:27:53 »
Does anyone know what 35(00) points, are going for at the moment? I wish to get out of the Timeshare / Points system with some money back, if I can.

Would it be better to trade in my points for a fixed week and try to sell that?

Dave

Offline Mavo

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:04:00 »
Hi Dave
 No idea how much points are being sold for just lately.
 I don`t think you will get much of a fixed week for 3500 points though.
 You can also advertise the points in the classified section on these forums.
If you do manage to get a fixed week then that would be more saleable as anyone could purchase it not just Sunterra members.
tomeluk

tomkat

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 19:02:32 »
I think you would be better selling your points rather than converting to fixed week timeshare. Timeshare resales are very much a buyers market at the moment and though some weeks can sell quickly if you advertise at a low price and are lucky enough to make contact with a buyer, but if you use a resale company some weeks will take years to sell (if they ever sell at all). There is a good chance of selling fixed weeks on an Ebay auction but don't expect more than £200 for a week exchanged for 3500 points.

One problem in selling small holdings of Sunterra points is that the rip-off transfer fee of £299 charged by Sunterra does add significantly to the buyers total outlay. However you should expect to get around £1000 on Ebay if you go about things in the right way. I have sold several lots of points there and have never got less than £30 per 100 points. Some sellers get less than this but that is in part because they do not advertise in the best way or do not win the trust of potential bidders. The risk on these sales is entirely with the buyer of the seller demands an up-front payment (I don't).

If you are selling don't leave it too long. I have noticed that achieved selling prices tend to drop at the end of the year because buyers are faced with an immediate management charge on top of the buying price and transfer fee. Also a lot of sellers come on to the market at that time because they do not want to pay the fees themselves.

Feel free to send me an email if you want any selling tips. I could even sell them for you through my Ebay shop (though you then don't tell Ebay that you used an agent since they don't allow this if they know).

David

Offline smasters

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 22:11:20 »
Hi Greenpeacedave

Why not try with the fixed week route, Sunterra will send you a list of resorts to choose from, I think it includes Sunset Bay and you are not committed at this stage.  If there is none that take your fancy, try the ebay route, you can list your points and set a "buy it now" (with escrow imp) and set  a minimum purchase price and see how you get on

Take care and good luck

Sue