RCI POINTS

Started by , August 24, 2007, 16:25:01

Previous topic - Next topic

hi all,

i wonder if anyone can help me, i bought rci points last year while on holiday for what i believe a good price. i was told by the salesman that i could go anywhere as long as i had the correct amount of points. however on booking this year *9months in advance* the only accommodation i was offered was in tenerife?? i do require school holidays as i have school aged children, but i am sick of tenerife which was partly the reason for me changing to the points. i spoke to other guests on the resort who also had the same problem as me, since returning i have found other sites which suggest that rci are renting said accommodation in high time through other companies, can someone help me, have i done the right thing in joining rci points, i dont think so.........

JuliaR

We are RCI points owners and have successfully used the system for a couple of years now, last year we had 2 weeks in Gran Canaria in June in exchange for the points value of our 1 week in Cornwall.  Next year we've got 2 consecutive weeks in Portugal (3 bed villa) for our 1 week in Cornwall and one of those weeks is the May half term holiday.  

I think the points system probably works best for those who can be more flexible with their travel dates than those restricted to school holidays but as you can see from the above it is possible to work it - the key probably is to search for your preferred holidays (we search and book on-line) on the very first day they become available, which is 10 months ahead.  That's what we did to enable us to book over the May half term.

Good luck!

heather

JuliaR has hit the nail on the head when she refers to "working it". Sometimes you have to get up really early in the morning to see what you want and grab it but the points system works wonderfully for us as well. I'm still feeling really good about an oceanfront unit that I found last week for the Christmas holidays in Florida on the hard to get west coast. Points were not a mistake for us.

thanks for your comments juliaR,
i found that there was a lot of availability outside of the school holidays but its the july/august end of term i need. could you tell me which resort your goin to in portugal as the 3 bedroom places never seem to be available/exist??!! quite frankly if we only get offered the canaries next year i am going to have to go through a travel agent again, as my family are refusing to go again!! any tips on how to get school holidays anyone, does anyone have the same problem or is it just me

JuliaR

The resort we got was Elliott at Vale do Lobo, 0332.  To get school summer holiday period 2008 you'll need to start searching mid/late September or October of this year.  Hope you're successful.

Suebe

quote:
Originally posted by annoyed

hi all,

i wonder if anyone can help me, i bought rci points last year while on holiday for what i believe a good price. i was told by the salesman that i could go anywhere as long as i had the correct amount of points. however on booking this year *9months in advance* the only accommodation i was offered was in tenerife?? i do require school holidays as i have school aged children, but i am sick of tenerife which was partly the reason for me changing to the points. i spoke to other guests on the resort who also had the same problem as me, since returning i have found other sites which suggest that rci are renting said accommodation in high time through other companies, can someone help me, have i done the right thing in joining rci points, i dont think so.........

Whether it be the Weeks system or the Points system, the exchanges that are available are always subject to availability - a point that the sales people always gloss over!!  If it hasn't been deposited in the system, then it won't be available.

In either system, school holiday weeks are not easy to obtain.  Plan ahead and start looking early - 10 months ahead in the points system.   Remember that you can also be searching in the RCI Weeks exchanges for up to 2 years ahead.  You could also put in requests for exchange with RCI and they will get back to you if anything comes in.

The points system has worked well for us but we are not tied to school holidays.

Sue B
Sue B

daviday

You do need to have the right number of points.  Anyone hoping to find July/August weeks with fewer than 100,000 points in the bank is going to be somehat limited in choice. Check eBay for deals on points if you don't have enough.