Anti-Spam CAPTCHA

Started by Boss Man, August 31, 2007, 10:36:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Man

I have now deployed an anti-spam CAPTCHA system on the site.

When you try and -

1. Register
2. Create a new topic
3. Reply to a topic
4. Edit a topic/reply
5. Send email to member

you will see images such as -

and a box to enter the code.

You must enter the code to create / submit / send. The code is not case sensitive so QHPT is the same as qhtp.

If you are unable to read the image, click the image and the page will re-load with a new image.

Hopefully, this will now stop the spam-bots we keep getting hit by.

If there are any problems, please report them below.

Thanks

Boss Man

Keitht

Anything that cuts down on spam gets my vote.

heather

Annoying but sadly necessary. This reminds me though of working in a high school. Just when you figure out a way to curb some undesirable behaviour, the kids figure out a way around it. Too bad your energies have to be taken up with this type of thing!

Boss Man

CAPTCHA is pretty difficult to circumnavigate thankfully, but so far it seems to work fine and has kept them at bay.

tonyg

I find it annoying. Is there any way you could just make it required for someone with under 100 posts ?

Boss Man

Good idea Tony, will try and do today. The other option I thought of was to only show it for normal members, not moderators or admin

Boss Man

All changed. It will only show for -

2. Create a new topic
3. Reply to a topic
4. Edit a topic/reply

If you are not an admin, moderator, or a paid member.

It will still show for -

1. Register
5. Send email to member

for everyone though.

Doggy50k

Dont know it it is the CAPTCHA interfering, but just noted a user has started a thread, but has no postings recorded against them.  the link is:

http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5935

"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Boss Man

Thanks for that, will take a look

lawnmower60

Is the anti spam filter stopping people posting as there are hardly any active topics for last few days
Brian

Boss Man

I had noticed that too. I did a test registration and post and all seemed fine.

I think things are just quiet ....

demo

demo

Boss Man

Things seem to have been very quite over the last couple of days -

All seems to be fine with the search engines and servers.

Boss Man

If anyone is having probelms posting, please email me on paul@timesharetalk.co.uk

Doggy50k

Sorry Boss - been away for the weekend, hence me being quiet.

Just posting this as a test...
"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

tonyg

No problem on this side of the pond- but there was one night when the site was moving painfully slow. Of course than was late night in the UK and the bots were active (26 0f them if I recall correctly). It has been  rather inactive here in the past few days tho.

Boss Man

Seems to be back to normal now -

Boss Man