ALLERDALE BOSS WINS CLAIM FOR UNFAIR DISMISSAL

Newshound

« on: May 07, 2004, 17:28:57 »

THE FORMER boss of Allerdale council, who was sacked over a controversial failed £6 million timeshare project at Keswick, has won his claim for unfair dismissal.

Tony Perry, who lost his job as chief executive in 1991, has been awarded nearly £16,000 after an employment tribunal ruled in his favour.

Mr Perry, 75, who lives at Bassenthwaite, today claimed he had been “completely vindicated” by the decision.

But he also spoke of his regret that his late wife could not share the moment and claimed the shock of the sacking had contributed to the ill health which lead to her death.

“It is nothing more than I was expecting,” said Mr Perry. “I have been completely vindicated and I’m very pleased.

“The only pity is that my wife is not with us any longer to share the joy. The decision to sack me definitely affected her health.”

Profits

The claim goes back to the mid-1980s when the then Allerdale District Council set up Allerdale Development Limited Company and borrowed £6 million from the Credit Suisse bank to create a timeshare complex at Keswick Bridge.

The project was expected to bring tourists to the town as well as producing good profits for investors.

But the ambitious project flopped and was followed by several writs and disputes.

A special sub-committee was set up to investigate the affair and various reports were drawn up.

They resulted in Mr Perry being sacked for gross misconduct in December 1991.

Mr Perry was forced to wait so long for a tribunal because he was going through other legal litigation.

This resulted in Allerdale’s failure last year in an attempt to sue Mr Perry for £55,000 at Carlisle County Court.

It claimed he wrongfully paid the sum to a contractor during the timeshare development.

But he was cleared when a judge said there was considerable evidence to refute the council’s assertion that there was no authority for the payment.

Now this latest decision has gone his way following the tribunal hearing in March this year.

Mr Perry said today his long-running battle to clear his name was now virtually at an end, although he would be looking at the amount of cash awarded.

“I think this is more or less the final stage,” he added.

An Allerdale spokesman said: “Obviously we are disappointed, but we are relieved that a conclusion has been reached at last to this long-running affair.

“The council has moved on considerably since the events of the mid-80s, and we are therefore happy we can concentrate on delivering good quality services.”