"Free" holiday scams warning

Newshound

« on: June 23, 2004, 19:19:43 »

The European Consumer Centre (ECC) in Dublin today warned consumers of the dangers of "holiday scam promotions".

The Europe-wide consumer watchdog said that promotions usually end up costing consumers money without the pleasure of going on holiday.
It said there were two main problems with these promotions: There are always hidden charges and the promotions are invariably connected with timeshare or holiday clubs.

Mary Denise Fitzgerald, ECC's PR and marketing manager said that the "free" holiday promotions are usually offered to the public through free scratch cards, cold calling or direct mail.

"Almost daily ECC Dublin receives queries from consumers about "free holiday" promotions. The typical complaint is that the consumer has paid an administrative fee to guarantee his/her booking but have been unsuccessful in securing a date for departure," she said.

"The consumer tries to cancel the booking and look for a refund but none is forthcoming. Other consumers have been encouraged to pay more than the administrative fee to cover transfers etc and still have problems securing their holiday," she said.

"Our advice to consumers is simple: If asked for money to book a "free holiday", alarm bells should start ringing. Do not hand over money until you see the terms and conditions of the contract," said Tina Leonard, manager at ECC Dublin.

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 11:29:54 »
Hi i have had a phone call saying i have won a holiday for life with a holiday club (the travel emporium)(spain)it sounds to good to be true I pay 650 euros and 80 euros every year and thats it. i also get £1000 of vouchers for days out and a 1000 shares that i can sell when they go on the stock market in 12 - 18 months time . they are ringing me back on monday to see if i have any question's and they have e.mailed me, do you know of this company and if it is a valid or not. Or has anyone else had these phone calls from this company?
They say they pick 6 family's each quarter so they can advertise.
many thank's
gillc[?]

Jandj

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 16:02:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by gillc

Hi i have had a phone call saying i have won a holiday for life with a holiday club (the travel emporium)(spain)it sounds to good to be true I pay 650 euros and 80 euros every year and thats it. i also get £1000 of vouchers for days out and a 1000 shares that i can sell when they go on the stock market in 12 - 18 months time . they are ringing me back on monday to see if i have any question's and they have e.mailed me, do you know of this company and if it is a valid or not. Or has anyone else had these phone calls from this company?
They say they pick 6 family's each quarter so they can advertise.
many thank's
gillc[?]

gillc - I suggest you ask for all the details in writing - that usually puts these companies off. Be very, very careful - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!! Jandj  [:(]