Ask RCI Insider

Started by Boss Man, April 26, 2004, 23:31:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Bootleg,

Where do you see these vacations online (even if just briefly.) I am new to this exchange war and am having a hard time getting one.  I have ongoing searches but is there another place to look for available exchanges through RCI for anywhere.  Thanks

Jackiee

Bootleg,

I'd be grateful if you could read a topic I have written in the General Forums, General Discussions entitled Buying a Resale Week.  It is a long story so didn't want to copy it here as well.  Thanks.
Jackie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Sacksteder

Bootleg,

Where do you see these vacations online (even if just briefly.) I am new to this exchange war and am having a hard time getting one.  I have ongoing searches but is there another place to look for available exchanges through RCI for anywhere.  Thanks

As an RCI guide, I can search for the entire usable "life" of a member's week, instead of just checking for a 10-week range of dates. We call it "expand dates" and it will show us anything that your week will trade for right out until it's expiry date.

If you have a January 2006 week on deposit, I can search out as far as January 31, 2008 for any available unit. That's how I find places like Venice (1 bedroom Jan 2007) Rome (1 bedroom Dec 2007), the coast of Tuscany (Sept 2007, 2 bedroom) etc.

Hope this helps!

Jackiee

Bootleg,

Would all RCI guides be so accommodating or are you the exception?

Also, can this work for Points owners or only Weeks?  We don't have Pure Points (well, only 3000) but own Weeks that have been converted into Points.
Jackie

Anon, I don't know how long you have worked for RCI or where you are located but the points do replace the weeks program with vacations. Otherwise how would someone who owns in a weeks timeshare ever be able to vacation at a points resort.  For example, the pahio resorts in Hawaii are all completely points resorts.  When one of these owners trades their points into an RCI Weeks resort, a week from the Pahio resorts is deposited into the Weeks pool.  Now granted alot of these weeks are not exactly "prime time" such as holiday weeks and such but they do replenish the inventory.  Also the leftovers such as the 2 nights here and 4 nights there at the resorts where a points owner has just used a couple of nights, these spare nights are for rent under DBL otherwise known as the nightly rentals.

Jackie to answer your question, alot of RCI guides don't really know how to work the computer system like some of us old timers do.  When we are hired we go through 5 weeks of training on everything from how to bank a week to geography.  I didn't know where Milan was before I started working here.  If you know the key phrasing when you call in, and if you are nice to whoever you talk to, chances are the vacation guide will be much more inclined to spend more time with you.  I know i do, what about you bootleg?

I'm not at all surprised by anything I've read on this thread - only that it has taken so long for this information to come forward.  We have been members of RCI since 1984 and until the past 2 years, have been very happy with our experiences.  Over the years we have found it VERY easy to take advantage of last minute vacations in March and the first week in January. I found that there was always extra weeks available in Virginia, Arizona, the Carolinas and even Georgia at these times (ski country and Florida / Caribbean usually not available) and we have taken advantage of cheap vacations every year.  I've always thought of this as one of the major advantages of spending almost $30K to be a member of an exclusive club!

However, in the last two years, this has become almost impossible as the inventory during the shoulder season has dried up.  At the same time, RCI reps have all kinds of rental inventory available!  When you question this change, you are very adamantly assured that this is "different" inventory (NOT weeks deposited) - I've even had a few RCI reps insist that RCI had NEVER offered extra vacations at $169 per week (Cdn$) like I don't know what I'm talking about.

It is just as upsetting to see RCI inventory offered to non-timeshare owners (who haven't invested a dime in timeshare)online at the SAME rental prices we, as members, are offered.  The inventory is regularly offered on eBay as well.  Several weeks ago, there were at least 80 different Fairfield weeks offered on eBay - I am a Fairfield VIP owner and recently contacted Fairfield to ask for a September Sapphire Valley week (which was available on eBay). I was told there was nothing available and when I pointed out that the week was currently available on eBay, received the usual statement about this being 'different' inventory - different in what way? Sapphire Valley has been sold out for years so how can it be developer inventory? Don't lie to us!

From my experience as a long-time owner, this was not going on a few years ago, certainly not in a big way!

Enough already! How do we get a class action suit against RCI going?  Wyndham is a publically traded company and they can't hide this completely.  They have to report to shareholders as well as the securities commission. They have to provide audited records to someone I would think.  It's time they were forced to follow rules - timeshare owners have been sold a pack of lies otherwise.

I know, I know - don't be so naive!

Let's keep this thread alive and get more people involved.  Maybe, we can stir up enough of a hornet's nest, that we can get some action, or at least RCI's attention...

wilsonjenny

Hi Anon

Do you know how CLC points holders fare in getting holidays with RCI?  How far up the chain are we - do we get rentals or weeks deposited by owners?  At present we can request weeks and pay a weekly fee and also use some of our CLC points.  I recently went to Sun Beach, Rhodes with this system as CLC did not have availability.  I seemed to get two weeks without too much hassle.

Thanks
Jenny

Carolinian

There is currently a class action in progress.  Actually two of them were filed the same day by different plaintiffs, different attorneys, and in different (State vs. federal) courts.  There is a thread on this forum on that subject.  The State court action has now been transfered to federal court, and the two actions joined.  The two law firms had to put together a new joint complaint, and there were some really key issues raised in the Murrillo case that were not raised in the Chase case.  I hope they have survived in the joint complaint.  They relate to how RCI is also ripping off Weeks members to prop up Points through the unfair (and indeed fraudulent) generic grids by which Points members can snatch prime Weeks inventory at bargain basement prices.  This is part of what feeds the rentals, as Points members use ''Points Partners'' for non-timeshare goods and services and RCI then rents Weeks inventory to pay for it.  If the lawsuit has to go forward without the ''points connection'', they are fighting with one hand tied behind their backs.  Bringing Points access to Weeks inventory to a screeching halt is one of the outcomes that will hopefully result from the lawsuit.

Actually, the level I had hoped would produce action first was with the Consumer Protection Division of one of more state Attorneys General.  The potential problem with a class action is that the attorneys may cut and run when they can put a sizable fee in their pockets with only cosmetic changes to the problem, like putting a bandaid on a cancer.  A state AG, on the other hand, is looking to correct a problem, since they are state salaried and do not have the temptation of a big fee to leave something half done.  Many state Consumer Protection laws give their AG's an impressive arsenal of pre-litigation tools in such actions.  I would like to see a state AG put together an investigative team and start pre-litigation discovery, subpoenaing a lot of RCI execs and records.  Maybe with enough requests to state AG's we can motivate one of them to step up to the plate.

quote:
Originally posted by dwainwri

I'm not at all surprised by anything I've read on this thread - only that it has taken so long for this information to come forward.  We have been members of RCI since 1984 and until the past 2 years, have been very happy with our experiences.  Over the years we have found it VERY easy to take advantage of last minute vacations in March and the first week in January. I found that there was always extra weeks available in Virginia, Arizona, the Carolinas and even Georgia at these times (ski country and Florida / Caribbean usually not available) and we have taken advantage of cheap vacations every year.  I've always thought of this as one of the major advantages of spending almost $30K to be a member of an exclusive club!

However, in the last two years, this has become almost impossible as the inventory during the shoulder season has dried up.  At the same time, RCI reps have all kinds of rental inventory available!  When you question this change, you are very adamantly assured that this is "different" inventory (NOT weeks deposited) - I've even had a few RCI reps insist that RCI had NEVER offered extra vacations at $169 per week (Cdn$) like I don't know what I'm talking about.

It is just as upsetting to see RCI inventory offered to non-timeshare owners (who haven't invested a dime in timeshare)online at the SAME rental prices we, as members, are offered.  The inventory is regularly offered on eBay as well.  Several weeks ago, there were at least 80 different Fairfield weeks offered on eBay - I am a Fairfield VIP owner and recently contacted Fairfield to ask for a September Sapphire Valley week (which was available on eBay). I was told there was nothing available and when I pointed out that the week was currently available on eBay, received the usual statement about this being 'different' inventory - different in what way? Sapphire Valley has been sold out for years so how can it be developer inventory? Don't lie to us!

From my experience as a long-time owner, this was not going on a few years ago, certainly not in a big way!

Enough already! How do we get a class action suit against RCI going?  Wyndham is a publically traded company and they can't hide this completely.  They have to report to shareholders as well as the securities commission. They have to provide audited records to someone I would think.  It's time they were forced to follow rules - timeshare owners have been sold a pack of lies otherwise.

I know, I know - don't be so naive!

Let's keep this thread alive and get more people involved.  Maybe, we can stir up enough of a hornet's nest, that we can get some action, or at least RCI's attention...

I agree RCI stinks big time lately but what bugs me most is it supposed to be a WORLDWIDE EXCHANGE SYSTEM .......yet only 10% of weeks deposited by USA members are available to RCI Europe and vica versa

Same goes for RCI Asia Pacific ........add on in USA its a 1-800 number as it is in asia yet in Europe we are charged long distance rates
The exchange fee is higher in Europe and in fact is extortion whichever country you are in
and the thing that really used to annoy me was begging letters from Christian de Haan for money to support her Orphanage
I wrote back once and said "lady you made millions out of selling RCI ...you set up the orphanage you go support it "

Jackiee

despair,
I agree with your sentiments regarding 'begging letters'.  Beverly Hills Heights used to add on an amount for their pet charity and having paid it the first year, deducted after that.  If I want to give money to charity I'll decide which ones, not them.
Jackie

Jackiee

Jackie