Is this fair to RCI Weeks members?

Started by Carolinian, December 30, 2005, 01:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackiee

Simon,

No doubt you've seen the posts in the General Forum regarding the Points System.  You will gather that I am becoming ever so slightly fed up with all the rantings too.  Blood-sucking parasites, conspiracy, scams and the gravy train I think I'm on as a Points member could make me feel such a bad person.. Thanks goodness I know I'm not one!  As for all the fat, dumb, happy people...........well I say leave them alone, they are happy after all!

Thanks for telling me about the letter.  I'll have a look in my 'RCI Folder'.  [;)]

Jackie

Carolinian

Actually, the term ''conspiracy theory'' was popularized after the assassination of President John Kennedy, when some put forward a theory that it was done by a group rather than one man acting alone.
One person or entity cannot conspire with itself.  

quote:
Originally posted by Simoncc

A conspiracy theory relates to the belief that an event is driven by a hidden agenda such as those surrounding the death of Diana or the Roswell incident - it does not require two seperate bodies to be behind the plot. In this case my reference to a conspiracy theory relates to your regularly stated belief that RCI is undercharging rentals/overstating points values to destroy the exchange system. I don't agree with RCI cherry picking rentals rather than limiting them to short dated depsoits and deposits used for points transactions - but I think their motive is for a short sighted profit stream rather than any master plan to end timeshare as we know it.

Carolinian

While it is not quite as bad in Europe, and would be an improvement over what the US Points system has, it still has some of the same problems.

Consider an example from Europe.  Someone I know traded into Vienna  using RCI Points for a hotel unit during the Christmas market period in a Weeks resort.  He gave the minimum number of points for that category.  The ''from'' indicator seemed not to apply.  I remember it was less than 10,000 points when he told me.  I just looked it up in the point tables and it would have been 8,500 points.  It was unfair in the extreme to the Weeks system to give a Vienna week to a Points member for a mere 8,500 points.  That was a very uneven trade between the systems, heavily favoring the Points side.  Weeks members should not have to put up with such crap.

The same person talked to an RCI VG about trying to get Allen House in London and was also quoted the basic point rate in the book, which was low for such a trade.  Apparently the ''from'' aspect did not apply there either.  If it does not apply in Vienna or London, I wonder where it does!  Good in theory perhaps, but if not put into practice, how much value is it to protect Weeks owners from our inventory being taken by Points people on very uneven transactions.

So, while not quite as bad, it is not really different.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackiee

As you say, it sounds as if the US system is quite a bit different to that in Europe.

Jackiee

We have definately not received a letter from RCI about the decrease in Points.  I shall have to contact them.  The only letters received in the last few weeks are one to vote at the AGM and an exchange to Cala de Mar in Mallorca.  By the way, it cost 51,500 Points for 1 week in a 1 bedroom unit.  I wouldn't say that was a snip exactly!
Jackie

Not a snip but i think rather dear,especially for a week in a GVC resort where you can bet the blood hounds will be after you all week.[B)]

Mavo

quote:
Originally posted by allycat

Not a snip but i think rather dear,especially for a week in a GVC resort where you can bet the blood hounds will be after you all week.[B)]

The above is no longer true at GVC/Sunterra resorts as you can simply refuse to see a "blood hound".
I have not bothered to see the reps on the last 2 Sunterra Hols nor have I gone to the welcome meetings.
On one occasion we were never contacted by anyone and the last occasion we had a phone call and I just said that I had no reason to want to see anyone and we were left in peace. Nowadays a thank you but no thank you seems to be sufficient, although attending a welcome meeting does tend to make you a possible target.