RCI Points Directory - USA resorts

Started by redcon, January 15, 2005, 12:09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

redcon

In the new RCI points directory they give a key to the quality of the various hotels eg 5 is excellent, 1 is not so excellent. This only seems to aply to european resorts. [?]However the resorts in the USA have no such guide, so how can you tell how good the place is. You certainly can't count on the photo or description. Any ideas ?

harrybosh

I think the best way would be to go onto the RCI website, and do a search on the particular resort you were interested in and it will tell you if the resort is of Gold Crown, Resort of International Distinction or RCI Hospitality standard. If you stick to either GC or RID then you should be staying in very nice accommodation. Where possible I always try and stay in GC resorts, however they only make up a small percentage of resorts overall - a lot of GC resorts are in the USA. Within the points system key rating 4,5 and 5l generally mean Gold Crown, however some resorts with a 4key rating are of an RID standard.

Simoncc

My understanding is that the 'key' system is unique to the European version of RCI Points and therefore this data is not available for US resorts.

A combination of the resorts GC/RID status and its point cost should give a good estimate of the standard. For US resorts in particular I would recommend the review section on the Timeshare Users Group website www.tug2.net although you have to be a paying member to access this information.

quote:
Originally posted by harrybosh

I think the best way would be to go onto the RCI website, and do a search on the particular resort you were interested in and it will tell you if the resort is of Gold Crown, Resort of International Distinction or RCI Hospitality standard. If you stick to either GC or RID then you should be staying in very nice accommodation. Where possible I always try and stay in GC resorts, however they only make up a small percentage of resorts overall - a lot of GC resorts are in the USA. Within the points system key rating 4,5 and 5l generally mean Gold Crown, however some resorts with a 4key rating are of an RID standard.

The Gold Crown, which represents nearly 1/3 of all U.S. timeshare weeks, specifically does NOT guarantee higher quality.

The Gold Crown rating, as well as the RID and Hospitality, are awarded to resorts based on certain criteria, such as the size of the rooms, the amenities on-site and the proximity of the resort to local attractions. It is also awarded conditionally to new resorts, to help them with their marketing programs.  

Many members call me from a resort once they have checked in, complaining that it is nothing like they expected. When I ask what they are referring to, they mention room service, valet service, children's programs, waterparks, in-unit hot tubs, shuttles, etc., claiming they thought this was automatically included in resorts that are Gold Crown.

When I point out that the GC isn't specific to the amenities they described, they often say, "I should have taken that 2 bedroom they offered me months ago! I was holding out for a Gold Crown!"

There are very few Gold Crown resorts in Europe, simply because the resorts in many parts of Europe were not built primarily for the "Resort Experience". That is, they were not intended to be a vacation experince in themselves, but instead, were intended to provide accommodations in areas of historic or cultural importance. Also, because timesharing is still gaining momentum in many European countries, there aren't as many purpose-built resorts; The timeshares are actually conversions of existing structures, leaving fewer units and little latitude for extensive on-site amenities.

As noted, the points totals will give you an approximate guide to quality.

harrybosh

I wonder if you could tell me percentage wise how many resorts in Europe are Gold Crown