Info Required from RCI Points Members

Started by Jackiee, May 16, 2005, 15:27:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackiee

I hope a few of you UK RCI Points Members can give me some advice.  We are Points members and three exchanges we have for this year are to RCI Points resorts/destinations.  However, there were no 'Points weeks' available for exchange so we were given, and accepted I may add, Weeks weeks'.  For this we are charged the same price as a Weeks member which is a lot more than if we had received a Ponits exchange.

While attending a Points World seminar for updated info, we were led to believe that as Points members, we should only have been charged £65 for these exchanges as they were RCI Points resorts/destinations.  Having contacted RCI they said the higher charge is correct.  I am interested to know who's giving out bad information here.[:(]

Thanks in advance....
Jackie

Jackiee

Jackie

pinkkipper

Might be worthwhile posting on the official RCI board but to be honest MADGE (the offical RCI persona) does a good job at not answering direct questions.

Jackiee

Pinkkipper,

I'll do that but as you say, I won't hold my breath waiting for an answer.[;)]
Jackie

pinkkipper

Jackiee,

I see that you have had a reply from madge on the RCI boards and I would read that as confirming your worst fears "Book in weeks" = Pay for weeks...
We are in points through "club infinity" but I cant say what I am charged (yet) as I'm in the initial 3 years where there are no RCI fees.

Regarding your 2nd question - when I use the points website I can see all booking (future and past) that we have made in both systems.

BUT when I try and book online it lets me get all the way to the end and than tells me to call RCI and the point ballance seems wrong and yet at the same time right [?][:(]

Oh yes and checking your profile I discover that you are based close to where I used to live (Loanhead)

Edna

Hello Jakkiee
We are also points members. We recently booked a holiday but they had nothing suitable in points and finally found us another one but it was exchange and we, too had to pay £218 for 2 weeks. Why does it cost so much more than points, especially when we couldn't get the holiday we wanted - not even the country we wanted and this was for Sep/Oct. The admin. doesn't cost any more for 1 week than 2. Not only that, a few days later I found out via a web page that the resort was totally unsuitabe because it was at the top of a very steep hill and we are both pensioners with heart trouble and my husband has walking difficulties and we had to cancel. We have lost the £218 and another £70 flight deposit. There was no mention anywhere that the resort was unsuitable for people like us. We told them when booking we were pensioners and didn't want to be miles out from anywhere. I think RCI are getting too greedy with all their various costs and we are seriously thinking of not renewing our membership. I have written to them to let them know what I think and it will take up to 28 days for a reply. I think more people should get on to them.

Jackiee

Pinkkipper,
So you're a local...........that explains it.  

I'm afraid you're right about having to pay the charges.  I'm going to have to hang out a bit longer to get Points exchanges in future I think.  Trouble is, not being able to put on a search.  That really bugs me.  I can see us putting up with Points for a few years while we want international exchanges and then coming out of RCI. DAE might be the better option.  They'll get more inventory with time I should think.
Jackie

Jackiee

Poor you Edna,
They are a greedy bunch.  They're all out for sales at almost whatever cost to us members.  I sometimes feel when I contact them, especially if it's in the evening, that they're actually sighing when I ask them something.  It's just not good enough.  Just like banks nowadays, they make out they're caring but really they're just money-grabbing sales folk. (and I work for a bank!!!!)[V]
Jackie

peeweeel

Try looking at it this way: If you were weeks owners you would have to pay the higher fees every time.

I have seen weeks owners complaining that weeks are "reserved" for points owners "and they pay a lower fee"! (I don't think that weeks are "reserved", by the way.

Jackiee

Hi Phil,
I think you mean well with your reply, but we were Weeks members for years before buying into Points.  We did this because we thought it would suit us better.  If we cannot get Points exchanges when we actually choose Points resorts there's not much 'point' in being members.  We would have been as well staying as we were. We changed 3 years ago and will persevere for a while and see if it improves. [;)]
Jackie