Hi I'm new here, help needed

Started by , February 12, 2006, 19:58:48

Previous topic - Next topic

My husband and I have bought an RCI timeshare week and need some help in understanding how it all works (sorry to be so dumb, I am a blonde [:I]).

1. What is a 'floating week'?

2. Is the week we have at our club free or do we pay a fee?

3. I understand that I have to obtain an allocation certificate to get a unit number so that we can deposit our week and exchange at a later date to another resort.  Are these charged the same as normal holiday prices, reduced prices or a free week.

Any help is much appreciated as the jargon they send you when you join is really hard to understand.

Liz

Jeff

Hi Liz
Welcome to the forum. There is a part of Timeshare talk dedicated to RCI where I am sure you will get answers to all your problems.

The nice moderator on this forum will probably move this into the RCI forum (and feel free to delete my message afterwards) [:D]

Jeff.

Thank you Jeff I'll have a look [:)]

Oh my goodness what have we done!?

After reading the posts on RCI I'm losing confidence in RCI fast.  Shall we sell and get out quick and maybe get our money back or stay for a while and test the water?  I really don't know.

pinkkipper

quote:
Originally posted by busylizzy

My husband and I have bought an RCI timeshare week and need some help in understanding how it all works (sorry to be so dumb, I am a blonde [:I]).

3. I understand that I have to obtain an allocation certificate to get a unit number so that we can deposit our week and exchange at a later date to another resort.  Are these charged the same as normal holiday prices, reduced prices or a free week.

Any help is much appreciated as the jargon they send you when you join is really hard to understand.

Liz

Timeshare feel free to correct me here .....

1. What is a 'floating week'? - its a week that is not "fixed" i.e. if you have a floating RED week you can take your week in any of the times marked RED on the resort Calendar (provided no one else has booked the week). The opposite is a FIXED week, thats (say) week 38 = the 38th week of the resort Calendar.

2. Is the week we have at our club free or do we pay a fee? Now that you own a week you have to pay an annual charge for maintenance. You may have to pay a services chare when you are in the resort. Some also hit you for an occasional upgrade fee.

3. I understand that I have to obtain an allocation certificate to get a unit number so that we can deposit our week and exchange at a later date to another resort.  Are these charged the same as normal holiday prices, reduced prices or a free week. If you exchange your week through RCI then you will have a membership to RCI to pay and an exchange fee as well. BUT you dont have to use RCI and you DONT have to exchange.

If you let us know the resort then there may be other owners able to let you know details of charges etc.

Just to clear up a possible misconception, RCI does not own or sell timeshares.

You may own a week at a resort. If you wish to go there, you simply call the resort and schedule a week with them that is convenient for you and your family so you may vacation there. Sometimes you have a week that you don't wish to use or can't arrange at a time that is suitable.

That is where trading companies come in. You can join RCI and deposit a week from your resort. You will have two years after the original use date of your week to find a vacation somewhere else. There are literally dozens of competing exchange companies in the timeshare industry, all of which have different ways of doing business, so you have come to the right place to explore those options.

Some people like the RCI program, some feel that they get better vacation exchanges with other companies. The posts here will help you decide what will work for you!

heather

quote:

Oh my goodness what have we done!?

After reading the posts on RCI I'm losing confidence in RCI fast.  Shall we sell and get out quick and maybe get our money back or stay for a while and test the water?  I really don't know.

Hello Liz,

Please know that people who are satisfied with RCI aren't the ones who usually post in the RCI forum. Many of us who know how to use the system wisely are generally happy with this exchange company and others. But...as stated before, you have a choice of what company to use because RCI does not own any resorts.

Keitht

quote:

Liz

Hi Liz,

You have come to the right place for the information you require, but one thing really does concern me.  How on earth did you end up buying into timeshare without having answers to such basic question?
My gut feeling is that if you are still within the cancellation window you should do so immediately, then take time to consider the situation more fully.  Then and only then should you look again at purchasing if you still decide that is the right decision for you.
I have been a timeshare owner for about 20 years and think both timeshare and exchange systems are great as long as they really do fit your lifestyle.

neiltilley

with the questions you have posed- how the hell did you part with your money without a clue what you've bought or done?
if it was ebay or hypermarket bargain type of thing and you paid peanuts then GREAT you've probably done good or better, but not worse... once paid on maintenance and chosen when and booked your flight- add it up and look at costs of a package to similar accom and it will be favourable i'm sure. similar accom would mean just that- if yours is 4star one bed sleeps 4 - it will cost you a bit less in timeshare moneies fully occupied and best a breakeven if only two of ya are going- but hey it might not be. bare in mind that you will get pretty much exchange or not, a full size, fully equipped kitchen, apartment/villa and not a packaged hotel room with a caravans kitchen poked in the corner. so there you will see your timeshare advantage in space, value, services and personal touches.

get the rci people in the forums here to tell you all about your resort by posting a few topics in the right areas..

resort write ups- name your resort etc and ask what you want to know
rci- ask about it and how it works ... people will reply here.

and as soon as you can sign up on rci's web pages and check what they have to offer the better...
but also surf over dialanexchange.com as i like ''the difference''
also surf for your resortsweb address and any forums pertaining...

if timeshare fits you and your style- then you will love it. if you like your home resort then great because if you bought to exchange only, you wont be happy unless you are very flexible.
all the late deals and cheapies off season available by membership can be great for the retired and those with many days annual leave as the prices can be truly amazing- for example ii has four seasons fairways 8 berth in quinta do lago, algarve on 25th march for £264 i think which is some great deal for a luxury villa/own pool 5* for a short notice break for a group of golfers isn't it. or even just for me and my partner for a romantic week- rci would have something going on too in late deals etc... best of luck