Is RCI being fair?

Started by heather, March 07, 2006, 19:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

heather

Opinions please,

I deposited two 2006 weeks into RCI weeks last October and then promptly had them moved into points using the points for deposit program. I was given 56,000 points for each standard week. The resort has always been RID but it lost the status for 205, apparently because of extensive renovations which temporarily affected the quality of stay. As expected, in the 2006 points grid, it is back to RID aka Silver Crown. the difference in points is 8,500 for each of the two weeks. I called and asked to have my point allocation adjusted as my 2006 weeks should be valued at the 2006 rate. I was promised the points on the phone. They didn't materialize. I e-mailed and was given a written confirmation that the adjustment would take place. Again nothing happened. I e-mailed again and the response said that I had been ill advised and that I was not entitled to an adjustment from the beginning as the weeks were moved into my points account in 2005. Their reasoning is that just as they would not reclaim points if the weeks lost value, neither will they award points when the opposite happens.

I'm not happy. Am I being ridiculous? what do you think?

heather

Keitht

Heather,

I can certainly see the argument from both sides, but it doesn't say much for RCI customer relations that they would quibble over 8,500 points.

Jackiee

Heather,
You sound justified to me to keep complaining.  I can see where RCI are coming from but if you were originally given 56000 Points per week I don't see how they can take them away from you.  I would persevere in the hope they get fed up with you and give you them back!
Jackie

heather

quote:
Originally posted by Keitht

Heather,

I can certainly see the argument from both sides, but it doesn't say much for RCI customer relations that they would quibble over 8,500 points.

I guess that's my point Keith. But also 2 weeks @ 8,500 points each would give me enough points for an off season week somewhere. I just needed to vent.

And Jackie, I don't think I'll fight any longer with them over this. You just have to pick your battles I guess.

Barbarian

I don't think RCI are being fair at all.  The weeks you deposited are 2006 weeks and could not be used until 2006 therefore if the resort is back to Silver Crown status in 2006 you should be given the appropriate points value.  Being fair is not something RCI care about any longer, they only care about making as much profit as possible from the suckers who use their system.  I will not be depositing any more of my weeks with RCI and will be cancelling my membership once I have used the single remaining exchange week that I will be taking later this year. From now on I will be using DAE for exchanges.  If more people follow my example perhaps RCI will eventually realise that they cannot continue to rip off their customers without losing them eventually.
Ian Chisholm

Edna

We are thinking of coming out of RCI also as we are not happy for various reasons. Does anyone know the proceedure? We are on points. We have 2 weeks booked FOR June which leaves us with over 30,000 points. We were hoping to book a week in the UK but the number of points required is ludicrous. We probably wouldn't get in anyway. Our fees become due in September.

justbrowsing

I am in a fortunate position in as much that all my timeshare affiliations will come to an end this summer.

Accordingly, I shall NOT be renewing my RCI membership despite receiving calls only yesterday trying to sway me into retaining membership just for bonus weeks and the like.

It appears that RCI want me as much as a "travel agent client" as they would as a "valued timeshare owner".

Because I do not see outright travel agency as RCI's core business and I will not play.

Meanwhile, Heather, it seems to me that your contract with RCI values the exchange at the lower number of points.  As such, they owe you "change" just the same as any other transaction where a price has been agreed.

heather

Thanks all!  RCI customer service has been wonderful to me until this incident and another 2 that are currently unfolding. To make two very long stories short, I was denied an exchange because I supposedly owed them money. I keep accurate records and knew that I didn't but it took them 3 weeks to finally acknowledge that I indeed was not indebted to them. Fortunately a supervisor finally over rode the system and got me the exchange that I wanted. She told me that "glitches" like this have been happening a lot lately. So beware!!!!

The second incident involved a week that was already in my weeks account and which I wanted moved into points. Despite the fact that it had been approved for deposit into weeks by the resort and had been sitting in my weeks account for awhile, RCI insisted that points could not be awarded until the resort approved the deposit. Go figure???? A week that has already been approved has to be approved again!!!! One again a supervisor was required and an e-mail this AM assured me that the points had been deposited. I can't see them on-line though so I will have to call to be sure. It's a good thing they have an 800 # or my phone charges to them would be horrendous.

I balance all of this though with the memories of some amazing exchanges. I met Jackie from this site because of an RCI exchange and that long distance frienship has been wonderful. I have stayed in places that I never could have afforded otherwise and I have given weeks as wedding gifts (bonus weeks) to several very grateful young couples. The benefits of membership have been many. Maybe my bad luck will end soon. They say that these things come in threes.

Jackiee

Heather,

You are lucky to have a free phone to get in touch with RCI.  We have no such luxury in Europe.  Just another little difference in the way the two systems are run.
Jackie