North Cyprus

North Cyprus
« on: January 23, 2005, 19:37:34 »
Has anyone been to the Long beach resort in Famagusta, North Cyprus.  Any info re crossing the border would be appreciated as we are flying into Larnaca but need to cross over to the north, I know the border is now open and as far as I'm aware one can now pass freely between both sides!

Cheers  M x

North Cyprus
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 21:19:47 »
We too are planning to go to Long Beach Country Club.   We have tried to do some research into car hire.  

We beleive the following applies:

Cars hired in the South can travel across the border to the North and freely cross back and foward

South Cyprus insurance becomes nul and void on crossing the border.   A reinsurance can be purchased at the border to cover whilst in North Cyprus - approx £10 for 3 days.   The insurance was described to me as a 'Mickey Mouse' cover.   It is limited to £2000.   If vehicle breaks down it is your responsibility to return it to the South as recovery cannot take place in the North.   You are personally liable for any accident found to be your fault.

Cars hired in the North cannot cross the border to the South

That is all we have found out so far - we are still trying to find out if a) this is correct, b) if there is any other news (hopefully good!)

Long Beach Country Club offer a transfer service from Larnaca for £50(?) each way.   Which may be an option to you, if you don't want to travel back to the South during your holiday.   Our problem is that we do want to travel throughout the island and also, we are probably flying to Paphos, which is a considerable distance away and a transfer is probably out of the question.

Hope this helps

Offline Carolinian

North Cyprus
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 16:41:45 »
Thanks for posting this info.

I have seen a lot of inventory at this resort availible at Dial-an-Exchange and have seriously thought about doing an exchange there.
Cyprus is on my list of places I would like to go.

neiltilley

North Cyprus
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:39:57 »
I have just opted to exchange 2 old weeks of mine to long beach for a family birthday as it sounds nice- see view on the beach anyway, quiet, idylic etc... need a car for exploring.....

so please any members or exchangers with good or bad news please post in here as it would be greatly appreciated?
and get some more reviews in eh?

i am desperate to know if it is as idyllic as it sounds and is it really so far to the next town as i would like a car but not for a fortnight?
tell me- good restaurants, prices, etc... anything

North Cyprus
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 20:59:03 »
I know this is probably too late now but Long Beach was fantastic!!  Good clean rooms, basic but fine as a base. Pool area was great.  Beach is right in front of the complex, new beach bar being built while we were there.  Local shop catered for all our needs and the owner even gives you a lift back with your shopping! We used a taxi transfer from the south to the north, cost us about £100 both ways.  We hired a car from birdrentacar, not too pricy if I remember!  We toured the whole of the north and were delighted by it.  If you can, travel to the Karpas and spend the night with Hassam at Turtle Beach. So peaceful and unspoilt. For about £12 each you get a chalet on the beach and breakfast.  we went out on patrol with him at midnight but sadly no nesting turtles to be seen that night!
Famagusta was lovely, great to stroll around in the evenings.
We went and saw the 'green line', kids were astounded by the abandoned hotels and houses, sad sight really to see the rot and decay but I'm not getting in to the politics of it! We didn't see many soldiers and the atmosphere was chilled and laid back (gave the UN soldiers a toot and a wave when we passed and got the same in return!!) The people were friendly and very welcoming.  All in all a very good holiday.

neiltilley

North Cyprus
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 21:29:39 »
its not too late for me for your info... i dont go till june 30th... i am concerned about soldiers from the un- i didnt realise it was necessary. but hey- i go to africa- i've seen worse- so shouldnt worry eh?

anymore news- like your taxi- did you book before you went or after. was it straight from a taxi rank and easy or was it a long wait.. ?

North Cyprus
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 21:05:42 »
We booked our taxi transfer through birdrentacar.com, we also used them for car hire.  Taxi was waiting for us at the airport and no probs on return journey either so I would reccomend them.  I think we paid the taxi driver direct.
As for the soldiers - there is a base between Long Beach and Famagusta so you will see them every time you pass!  Its not a problem, everyone very friendly.
Be sure to go to the Salamis ruins, fantastic place, so much history, just be aware, it is a HUGE site so take plenty of water and sunscreen!
Enjoy your trip to Long Beach!

neiltilley

North Cyprus
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 18:32:42 »
long beach resort and birdrentacar.com - I emailed them re; transfers from Larnaca and car hire info wanted, but the only thing i can say is;
the resort is very slow to reply.
birdrentacar did reply within a few hours with a 'comfortable' suggestion I just have to discuss with the family before accepting.
holidayautos gave a good car range and cheap but still leaves us with borders and my poor sense of direction....

In some ways I prefer to deal with people who are prompt and clear.
So, congratulations birdrentacar.com - first hurdle done.
I have always said I like the hertz gold membership I get with ii but in this instance. Because we are 5 persons, 5 cases, insurance issues on borders and i dont have t-mobile sat nav(i think i'm funny). Hertz just isn't in an approppriate position and a holiday isn't much fun if you need one company to collect you, another to give you a car and messing about for a day just to get there.

Does anyone having anything to say about Long Beach now. As I see quite a bit of inventory was taken on dae- surely some were timesharetalks members? please,anything, any input?