Canada - 1st visit

pinkkipper

Canada - 1st visit
« on: April 17, 2005, 18:29:50 »
Looking for suggestions for a 1st visit to Canada in August 2006, We can manage 3 weeks in the country.
As usual dates are set by the kids holidays, they will be aged 10 and 7 then.

(It was meant to be a visit see relatives in Australia but just cant get any accommodation through RCI)

Their age means that we are not looking at climbing any major mountains, white water rafting etc.

As a family we are not into theme parks so are looking for something "inbetween"

So far we have considered the following
Toronto - X country by "the canadian" stopping somewhere in the middle for a few days and ending in Vancouver.

OR

up the east coast "starting" in Niagra.

Any sugestions of places/resorts to visit/use (and avoids) would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pinkkipper

Mavo

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 19:49:27 »
Aye -- Avoid my sisters in Queenston -- She can be a right miserable sod "when she gets one on her"
Seriously re Canada. Heather will probably be the one with the best advise on this.
 Re Australia. Why don`t you get in touch with Dial an Exchange and see if they can help you in any way on that.

Offline Jackiee

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 21:51:56 »
'It's good to laugh!!'[:D]
Jackie

Offline heather

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 03:03:37 »
I'm ecstatic! someone is finally thinking of coming to visit us in the "great white north", which isn't white for more than 5 months of the year and really isn't that far north. That being said, you would be most welcome and would likely not regret the decision to visit.

I would not begin your trip in Toronto. By the time you reach Toronto, you've missed half of the country. I would be more than happy to be an unofficial travel agent and will begin by telling you provinces that might be of interest, going from East to West. Obviously you can't do them all. But let me know of any that interest you and I will elaborate.

Newfoundland is a world of its own in many ways. It's an island that has traditionally relied on fishing and is geographically separate. The people are wonderfully hospitable and they have their own culture and accent, despite being a province of Canada.

Prince Edward Island is another east coast island but this one is connected to the mainland by a monumental causeway that took years to build and only opened a few years ago. This is a must see experience for most visitors. Do you know the LM Montgomery series of novels based on Anne of Green Gables? If not, your children might enjoy them, even if you don't visit the island. Her home is here, restored to its original state and visited by thousans yearly.This is an island of beaches, potato farms,fabulously friendly people,the arts in Charlottown and "Anne", of course.

Nova Scotia is amazing. Here you will find:

Halifax, the capital and its fort and developed waterfront, the Cabot Trail around Cape Breton where Scottish ancestry reigns supreme,the cliffs are rocky and steep and you can visit historically reenacted Fort Louisburg, an outpost of defence against the British( where the children can dress up in full military gear,) self guided driving tours through fishing villages with country inns and gourmet dining, and fog horns that lull you to sleep as the mist rolls in.

New Brunswick is another maritime province that has some of the same as Nova Scotia, but I like Nova Scotia better.

Quebec is another story. You really shouldn't come to Canada and miss it. On the way from the maritime provinces you can whale watch and take a train along the banks of the Saint Lawrence river as it narrows leading to Quecec city and Montreal. You can stop and buy wood carvings along the way and taste some of the French Canadian specialties in the local restaurants. And you are not yet in Toronto!

Is this at all useful? If so, I will continue. Please let me know.

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 19:25:37 »
Heather, is that all you have to say on Canada ?

I'm shocked ! [:0]

Offline heather

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 20:27:06 »
That comment was like a red flag to a bull. [:D] I will continue if pinkipper tells me the information is useful, and not because you threaten my pride of country!!!!!!!!

Offline Jackiee

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 09:40:59 »
Remember you're off on holiday soon Heather and you have cases to pack!!!
Jackie[:D]
Jackie

pinkkipper

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 12:50:28 »
Please, Please, Please no fighting.....

Heather, the scale of Canada as a destination obviously makes it somewhere that we can only scratch the surface of in one visit.
(We are still exploring the UK - we had our first visit to the North East early this year)

Our basic planning is centered around ease of "getting to" by air both Toronto and Vancover having "no change" flights from Manchester.

Whale watching is bound to be something that is a hit with the entire family. But having seen details of the train through the rockies its an area that is high in the visibility stakes.
The "visit Canada" litrature says that we can do both of these from Vancouver.

Toronto seemed like a great place to end the trip and a shorter trip back after "all that travel".

I have a little voice telling me to avoid Saskatchewan simply becaue of the number of relatives we have over there - We are on a family holiday and not a family reunion.

I suspect that Canada will be a Multi visit destination (but there is just so much in the world to see).

Reccommended resorts would also be appreciated (we are just getting the hang of the points)

Thanks
       Pinkkipper

PS I have posted some more info on your Ballater thread

Offline heather

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 16:07:29 »
So, if I read you right, you would fly into Toronto and from there take the train to Vancouver and fly home from there. On the way you would stop to sight see in yet to be decided places. With or without the relatives, I wouldn't think you want to do more with Saskatchewan than see it from a train window. If any of this materializes, we could meet you in Toronto and give you a tour.

Timeshares in the Toronto area are are at least an hour and a half away, so they might not be suitable.  Your train ride would take you through Calgary and if you got off there, you could stay in Banff or Kananaskis( an hour away) for a week at any of the RCI timeshares there and see the Rockies up close (replete with lost of interpretive stuff for the kids.) And, if you timed it right, the Calgary Stampede. Are you familiar with the stampede? It's a kids paradise. You could then reboard the train for Vancouver and travel through mountain passes in the observation car. In Vancouver there are several excellent timeshares. But, you could also do the Pacific Shores resort on Vancouver Island, complete with ferry ride over and back and oodles of places great for kids (dolphins, seals, whales with Zodiac rides out to see them up close!)

Am I getting closer to the ideal?

Finally, even if you don't visit, maybe I've enticed some other reader.

Keitht

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 20:40:40 »
I don't know what the cost of air fares between Toronto and either Calgary or Vancouver would be but my understanding of the terrain between Toronto and Calgary is prairie followed by prairie followed by a bit more prairie...  You get my drift.  If you plan to avoid the relatives in the middle is the train ride a good use of the available time?

Offline heather

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 21:04:22 »
I agree with Keith, once you've seen one field of wheat, you've seen them all. But....if you've never seen the prairies then maybe the trip would be worth it, just for the novelty of seeing for what seems like hndreds of miles and the sunsets. Land doesn't get much flatter than this!

pinkkipper

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 13:44:13 »
I'm happy to take to the skys and look down on hundreds of miles of flat....

Any thought about Banff and the Columbia Icefields as destinations?

Keitht

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 18:35:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by pinkkipper

I'm happy to take to the skys and look down on hundreds of miles of flat....

Any thought about Banff and the Columbia Icefields as destinations?

We spend 3 weeks in the area in 2003 and only just scraped the surface.  You start off driving thinking "It's only 40 miles, that'll take about an hour" when you leave base.  WRONG!!  Around every bend is another jaw dropping view or some strange beastie is standing at the side of the road or a bald eagle is flying over or an osprey is nesting on top of a telegraph pole or.....
I know we all want to cram as much into a holiday as we can, particularly when the cost and distance is great.  Please try to resist that temptation and do a smaller area then promise yourself to go back to one of the other areas.  Invest in good guide books for the areas.  I swear by the Moon Handbooks.
You can also spend 3 weeks in and around Vancouver and Vancouver Island (we did about 7 years ago and again just scratched the surface).
I could go on and on but won't.  Ask away and I'm sure you will get plenty of advise, much of it conflicting.[:D]

Offline heather

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 20:13:40 »
Pinkkipper,

When I suggested that Calgary and Banff would be good with children, I was thinking of the ice fields being part of the adventure. For those of you who read this and aren't familiar with ice fields, they are actually glacier formations that have not melted over millions of years.  Guides take you to them, in the middle of summer, on giant snowmobiles. Our kids loved the experience.

Canada - 1st visit
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 19:02:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by pinkkipper

Looking for suggestions for a 1st visit to Canada in August 2006, We can manage 3 weeks in the country.
As usual dates are set by the kids holidays, they will be aged 10 and 7 then.

(It was meant to be a visit see relatives in Australia but just cant get any accommodation through RCI)

Their age means that we are not looking at climbing any major mountains, white water rafting etc.

As a family we are not into theme parks so are looking for something "inbetween"

So far we have considered the following
Toronto - X country by "the canadian" stopping somewhere in the middle for a few days and ending in Vancouver.

OR

up the east coast "starting" in Niagra.

Any sugestions of places/resorts to visit/use (and avoids) would be appreciated.

Montreal for the best food in North America, and the best women too!  

Thanks
Pinkkipper