South Africa

neiltilley

South Africa
« on: November 07, 2005, 13:19:06 »
Anyone been? Cape town or Jo'burg? the ''special'' promotion with dialanexchange- what was the places like? Any info would be great.
I am thinkin' of this in 2010(world cup). But I am leaning towards pre-booking outside of the timeshare system as I find availability is minimal if at all. Only dial seems to offer anything and II has a sad statistic, only one place in Cape town..

Any advice or experiences would be good?

neiltilley

South Africa
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 13:30:45 »
in addition i see from old message threads that a south african share to be weak to near untradable in europe/america? I thought everyone would want to go there but it's the cost of getting there that puts people off. So my question is why is it hard to trade a south africa week, yet i can't find any inventory for it with ii and a limited selection with a promise to try and find something in your date range with dialan... ?

tonyg

South Africa
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 01:36:34 »
II has very little SA inventory as they have only one (maybe more now) affiliated resorts there. RCI has a bunch of SA resorts and many USA owners started buying there in the late 1990's. Most of them get deposited with II, but some are starting to go with the independents. DAE should have some inventory as it seems to be the most popular alternative to RCI. You might also look into renting from the resort rather than exchanging. I believe the rental rates are rather reasonable. Jo'burg a few years ago was a rather lawless place, so if you should fly there try to arrive in daylight and get out of town by nightfall. I owned at Dikhololo which is a hour or so from Jo'burg but sold them. I now own one unit in Capetown. I always trade my SA weeks thru RCI and thought about visiting- but as you said it would be an expensive and long flight and perhaps more so from the USA. RCI has been incorporating SA into its worldwide program and it was formerly an independently run exchange company under the RCI banner.

South Africa
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:53:09 »
Something has got to give in the SA timeshare market pretty soon, particularly with those RCI affiliated resorts which were heavily marketed to Americans.  RCI has assigned trading values, even to peak weeks at Gold Crown resorts, extremely low.  Couple that with the decline of the dollar vs. the rand, and you have maintenance fees rising.  It practically isn't worth it to pay these fees and deposit with RCI, as you get practially nothing in return.

This is unsustainable.  Either RCI has to alter it's system..if they were to stop selling deposited weeks on the rental market it would help tremendously...or there will have to be a mass migration to DAE...or you are going to see a lot of SA timeshares on the resale market for very little money.  Worse scenario will just see people walking away from their SA weeks, which is damaging to the owners, the resorts and RCI itself.

What is not going to happen is to have people continuing to pay their maintenance fees and depositing them with RCI and getting little or nothing in return, as is the current situation.

Unless things change, in the next couple of years I predict you will be able to find some excellent deals on SA timeshare weeks on the rental market, perhaps directly from the resorts, or on the resale markets.

tonyg

South Africa
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 01:34:20 »
Don't plan on taking the train from Jo'burg: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4424166.stm

Offline Carolinian

South Africa
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 03:27:00 »
Those are commuter trains to the suburbs of Jo'burg.  Unless you want to go to a fun place like Soweto, they are not routes that tourists would normally take.

I took the mainline train from Jo'Burg to Capetown when I was there and it offered excellent service.  Enroute, we passed the famous luxury Blue Train headed the other direction.  That is the way to travel between those two cities in style - 18 carriages carry just over 100 passengers if the train is full.

tonyg

South Africa
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 12:31:26 »
I always try for a "non-smoking" carriage.[:o)]