Florida Attractions

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
Florida Attractions
« on: May 17, 2004, 23:09:03 »
I am planning a holiday to florida next year. Can anybody advise on the best attractions (ie disney, epcot, universal). 2 adults and 2 children (8 & 2)

Florida Attractions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 00:44:16 »
For a 2-yo, I definitely WOULD NOT do either Universal Studios parks. Epcot might be a little too serious also. Magic Kingdom is a MUST! Sea World might be good, depending on how much they like watching animals (mine weren't ready at 6 & 4). They did enjoy Epcot - especially Future World and dining at the Rose & Crown. Animal Kingdom was a lot of fun! They weren't overly thrilled with MGM park.

Florida Attractions
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 16:00:27 »
I would say Universal Studios Islands of Adventure is well worth a visit- it has  Dr Seuss land.  (of course Magic Kingdom especialally the fireworks in the evening.)

Gatorland can be scary fun for children.

I would make time for a water patk like wet n Wild but there are others.

You will have a great time!. I go every year.

Florida Attractions
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 13:52:31 »
Our first trip to Florida was when our boys were 6 and 3.  They loved The Magic Kingdom and MGM.  I loved Sea World and they enjoyed some of it, particularly the Clyde and Seymour Show (it's a walrus and sea-lion). Honey I Shrunk the Audience and the Muppet Show were great too, there is a good bug one now as well (these are all 3D so you have to wear the special specs to get the effects, you may find that your 2 year old will not like this).  The shows are a great way to get the kids out of the heat as they are all air conditioned.  The kids are kept amused but are sitting down having a rest.
We have been another 3 times since that first visit and there is still something new every time.  The water parks (Disney ones would probably suit you best at the moment, they are more relaxing)are really good too.
Have a great holiday.
LJL

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
Florida Attractions
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 21:07:44 »
Wow ! Thanks [:D]
Firstly, welcome to the forum Sherry, Sanje, and ljl and look forward to seeing many more posts from you all. The trouble is there is SO much to do out there, I think it would take 8 weeks to covcer it all (and dad having a very fat wallet !!). I want to try and get the best attractions for the kids ages that I can fit in within a week, the rest will have to wait until next time.

Florida Attractions
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 02:03:59 »
The 2 year old will be hard to please, but the Magic Kingdom and Sea World might do the trick. Disney's Animal Park is also good, but be aware that some of the rides may have height restrictions at the parks. Another option might be a trip to Tampa's Busch Gardens. Epcot will probably be relatively boring to an 8 year old, but the Norway and Mexico rides should be of interest. Canada and China also have some impressive films. We are planning a trip there as well, with the grandchildren. They enjoyed their first trip a few years ago and will be a bit older for this one.

Florida Attractions
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 09:30:32 »
We have gone most years since boys were 6 & 3.  Now 10 & 7.  They love in this order, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Animal Kingdom, Sea World, Epcot (Mission Space and Test Track a must) MGM, Wet n Wild, Disney water parks, Magic Kingdom.  We find each park has some favourite rides.  The first year we decided to do a day in the parks and a day at the pool.  One days rest was enough. Bored.  We now spend each day going round the parks. Get there early to avoid the queues, sometimes leave for a break and then go back at night.  Or get there early, go on the rides while fairly quiet, in the afternoon see the shows, chill out and start again as the parks empties a bit.  Very intense that way and need a holiday when you get home but that is the way we like it.  Get our monies worth!!  Wet n Wild water park has less queues and some excellent slides but now as nice as Disney with a main road new buy and not as nice a setting inside but rides much better.  My two do not really like Magic Kingdom, may be a boy thing!!

Offline heather

Florida Attractions
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 12:56:32 »
The "Cirque du Soleil" at Disney would be a thrill for mom, dad and the eight year old. What an amazing circus!

Florida Attractions
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 03:07:39 »
Yes, make sure you have plenty of energy.
If the kids are teenagers universal is a must it great for the younger ones too.
2 days at universal 1 day for sea world and the rest of the time for the disney parks but all the parks are worth a visit
Look out for the night shows at the disney parks. when you plan your day always park your car at the park where the night shows are and take the free transportation between parks. At the end of the day when everyone is tired the last thing you need is to be travelling between parks to return to your car. The only thing you will find is there is not enough time in the day.
Start early and finish late.
If you want to get round the attractions quicker alway go on the single rider you will alway get 2 peolpe on at the same time and the average waiting time is 5-10 min instead of 45-60 min

Always make a note of where your car is parked. All parking areas at the parks have a character and a row number this a very important otherwise you will have to wait till everyone has gone and you have got the only car left.

Offline Simoncc

Florida Attractions
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 16:45:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Always make a note of where your car is parked. All parking areas at the parks have a character and a row number this a very important otherwise you will have to wait till everyone has gone and you have got the only car left.

Sounds like the voice of experience!!

Offline lucky

Florida Attractions
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 21:45:55 »
Just returned from Florida. Had a lovely time staying at Summer Bay and OLCC but now dont want to see another theme park for quite along time. lots of hard work in trekking around theme parks.

One very special day we had was a visit to Blue Springs National Park.
About an hours drive north of Orlando. It has a natural spring that entices the manatees and their young to visit during the winter months when the main river is cooler.

Costs about $5 to park your car. There are picnic areas, an old house built on a shell mound, a board walk to the spring where you can see different plants, squirrels and racoons in the trees, gators and turtles in the river. Also an area of the river you can swim.

Tina

Florida Attractions
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 21:06:12 »
Also, the Disney Marketplace has lots of great restaurants, the House of Blues, and Pleasure Island - lots of nightclubs.  You can take the kids to Pleasure Island and they can even go into some of the clubs (the 8-trax 70's club is very fun for kids).  But Mannequin's Dance Palance is the ultimate.  It has 3 levels and a round revolving dance floor.  I lived in Orlando for 8 years and had a blast.  Have fun!

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
Florida Attractions
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 06:21:45 »
Hi Diva,

Glad to see you made it over here.

cra88y

Florida Attractions
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 11:59:50 »
My wife and I will be going to Florida for 2 weeks in October. One week to our timeshare at the Wyndham Palms Resort and Country Club, and one week at The Cove on Ormond Beach. We are leaving our teenagers behind, and are looking for info on more "laid-back" attractions than the parks.

cra88y

Florida Attractions
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 12:01:18 »
My wife and I will be going to Florida for 2 weeks in October. One week to our timeshare at the Wyndham Palms Resort and Country Club, and one week at The Cove on Ormond Beach. We are leaving our teenagers behind, and are looking for info on more "laid-back" attractions than the parks.

tonyg

Florida Attractions
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 00:01:30 »
We will also be there in October with the grandkids. We have found mid to late October to be less crowded and still enjoy very nice weather. There are lots of laid-back small attractions that may be of interest. We have visited Splendid China and an aircraft display museum in the area. Another interesting trip was to a boat trip to an island on a nearby lake. There is so much to do in the area that one could spend weeks and a small fortune keeping busy. Disney's Animal Park and Epcot are 2 places we enjoyed without the kiddies. It is nice to take a day or 2 off every week to recharge and relax.

cra88y

Florida Attractions
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 08:56:59 »
Thanks for the info, Tony.
I believe Splendid China has been closed for some time.
A pity, since we also found it to be a relaxing place to visit on our first trip to Orlando

Offline lucky

Florida Attractions
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 12:08:15 »
Splendid China was definately closed in Feb this yr.

Tina