London here I come!

Offline heather

London here I come!
« on: September 02, 2004, 20:06:54 »
We will be in London for only two days mid September and are wondering if anyone could direct us to a good pub type restaurant in the area of the Whiteleaf Hotel at 66-69 Inverness Terrace near the NE corner of Hyde Park. I'm beginning to think that we are booked into a less than desirable hotel, but maybe our evening meal can me a treat. I can just taste the lamb dishes that I enjoy in England. I can hardly wait!

Keitht

London here I come!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 15:29:39 »
I lifted these comments from the Hotel-assist.com web site.

"The brochure pictures published above were probably taken several years ago when everything was new and pristine. Now, the public areas are still in good clean condition due to the presence of marble surfaces. The bedrooms are however requiring a renovation and the picture shown above is not really representative. In favour of the hotel, we find the rates very acceptable, the service friendly and the product clean if a little worn. There are a lot worse !! "

Offline heather

London here I come!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 17:14:36 »
Thanks Keith,

I read that as well but also read other comments which were quite nasty. But some people are never happy and we just want clean comfortable beds. Thanks again for your trouble.

London here I come!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 03:28:46 »
Hi Heather,
             I just got back from London September, 4th and I stayed at 35 -39 Inverness Terrace which I think is very near to the hotel where you would checking-in.  Weather is warm - . Location wise - it is very central -  you are between two stations - Queensway or Bayswater. There are plenty of pubs/restuarants. We particularly like "Redan" (children allowed) and "Rat & Parrot". You get two (2) meals for GBP5.99 - sizeable portions. Their local beers are refreshing. Hope this bit of information is helpful.

Offline heather

London here I come!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 13:18:32 »
Thank you so much Jason. That's just the kind of information I was looking for. I leave on the 15th of September for London, Paris and Tuscany so any other suggestions from anyone would be welcome.

London here I come!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 01:51:40 »
Hi Heather,
           In case you are not aware, please buy London Travel Pass - this will save you alot of trouble, convenience and money. Driving and parking in London is atrocious. It hope this 2penny advice is helpful.

Offline heather

London here I come!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 12:44:54 »
I agreee about the travel pass and have learned that they are cheaper and don't require a picture if you you buy them as a tourist from home outside England. And I wouldn't even think of driving in London! I like adventures but not near death experiences!!! keep the suggestions coming [:D]

Heather

Val

London here I come!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 21:52:48 »
As an ex Londoner I didn't think our driving was that bad. Have you tried Nice. Now that is a near death experience!!!![:p]

Offline heather

London here I come!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 00:28:37 »
Mea culpa Val,[B)]

I learned to drive in Montreal so I can handle heavy traffic and arrogant drivers, but not on the 'other" side of the road with a manual transmission. This is what London represents to me. Even Nice would involve driving on the side of the road that I'm accustomed to.

But I will heed the warning!!!