Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico
« on: September 17, 2004, 05:36:23 »
Hello all,
We're heading to Puerto Rico in November.  We're going to stay at the Aquarius at Embassy Suites in Dorado.  Has any anyone stayed at this resort?  We've read that there are many golf courses in the area, which is great, but what else is there to do in Dorado?  Has anyone visited PR since they've been brushed with all those storms? What about the communication with the locals?  Do many speak english? Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Offline Carolinian

Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 12:05:17 »
I will be in Puerto Rico on a DAE exchange in late November.  I will also be interested in any input from those who have been there.

Puerto Rico
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 01:39:39 »
Hi Carolinian,

Since we haven't received any replies yet regarding Puerto Rico, I did find some great info at tripadvisor.com.

Puerto Rico
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 22:08:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Carolinian

I will be in Puerto Rico on a DAE exchange in late November.  I will also be interested in any input from those who have been there.

I was at Aquarius last year.  It was great, as far as location is concerned.  It has a super pool and a very nice beach area. The folks down the road in the nearby restaurants are friendly and speak English. It is near a shopping center and a Walgreens Drug Store.  Keep in mind they are part of America, so to speak, but if you get lost out in the outlands, you better know Spanish.  It is easy to get to Old Puerto Rico, the Bicardi Rum factory and other sites. The one drawback is the traffic signs are all in Spanish and the drivers look out for no one.  You have to be on alert at all times for that guy who creeps up on you out of nowhere at 60-miles per hour and pushes you aside the road. We always had one person ride as navigator.
At the Aquarius, the hotel guest get free evening drinks and morning breakfast.  Aquarius Time Share people DO NOT. They don't tell you that until you try to eat. We shopped just outside the main entrance to the Aquarius and ate at Pizza Hut and other such places.  As you leave the Aquarius, take a sharp turn to the right and go down the road a ways.  You will find a couple of neat restaurants..good drinks, great food  nice conversation.  Romantic! Hoe this helps.
 Have fun, but stay off of the rock jetty that is on the left hand side of the beach area.  There are a lot of nasty gnats that will bite you blind.
A fellow traveler.

Puerto Rico
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 00:59:52 »
Samuel,
Thanks for the info. We've stayed at an Embassy Suites before, so we were actually looking forward to those free drinks and breakfast buffets.  You would think if we're staying at their resort, we would get more perks than the hotel guests.  Well, anyway we do look forward to our trip to PR.  Did you visit the city of Ponce?  We actually plan to drive throughout the island by ourselves and not in tour groups.  Do you think that's dangerous for us/tourists?  Crime there is probably the same as any other place, right?