The Lake District?

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:21:12 »
We will arrive by public transit in Bowness on Windermere on May 14 and do not plan to rent a car. (OK, "hire" a car in UK terminology!!!) We would like to hike a lot and tour a bit. Do any of you have recommenendations for touring companies and/or  hikes that would be not too challenging for those of us who are in good but not superhuman shape?

pinkkipper

The Lake District?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 22:49:44 »
Heather,

Its a long time since I walked in the lake district - these days with a 7 year old and a 10 year old the car rules.

I cant recomend any companies by personal experience but "Mountain Goat" have been running tours for many years (They have a website listing the routes that they go http://www.mountain-goat.com)- you realy do want tours by minibus to get you away from the main roads.

Shortish walks - Surprise view near Keswick is good, you can take a boat to the start of the walk at Ashness and then go up past the youth hostel. There was a farm selling food when you get to the tarn (small lake) right at the top. Details of the boat are here http://www.keswick-launch.co.uk and they list a few walks including this one.

You are so close to the border with scotland you mightwant to go and take a look at Hadrians wall.

How are you getting to the lakes travel into the area by public transport is not always easy.

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 23:32:19 »
[:D] Thank you so much for this information. The company that you suggested was unknown to me and just what I was looking for. We had already booked a tour of The Lake District through another company but wanted to do a side trip to the dales in Yorkshire so I e-mailed Mountain-Goat to request a booking.

Now, about Hadrian's wall. We will be in Scotland for two weeks at Kilconquhar Castle in Fife and Hilton Carigendarroch in Ballater, neither of which provides easy access to "the wall", which I would love to see as I may not soon return to this part of the world. Mountain goat doesn't appear to go there and we will not have a car. So....it may not be possible.

In answer to your question about how we get to Bowness on Windermere. We arrive from Edinburgh by train and then find our way, via public transportation, to our home away from home at windermere Marina Village. The logistics are still in the formative stage!

pinkkipper

The Lake District?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 10:31:53 »
I read it that you will actualy be staying in "bowness on windermere"
People say windimere meaning the lake and not the village.

If you are arriving at windermere by train then you are a Taxi drive away from your accommodation. The railway station is at the top of the vilage and its not walking distance (even though its all downhill).

Your alternative to train (windermere is not on the main line its actualy the end of the line) would be to get off at Carlisle or Penrith and take the local bus - you would still have to get a taxi but you get a main road tour through  parts of the lakes for free.

Have a look here for local transport and things to do http://www.golakes.co.uk

As for the Hilton Resort - I drove past it about 2 weeks ago (We were staying in the Scandinavian Village in Aviemore - I will add a review "eventualy") Cant pass comment about the Hilton resort, it seems very popular. Ballater is a very pleasant village and there is a nice (but small) exhibition in the old station (its also the tourist info with loads of free leaflets etc. They also have a looping video about places to visit.) have a look at http://www.ballaterscotland.com/ for more general info.

As for Kilconquhar Castle I know the generalities of Fife (having lived in Edinburgh many years ago) so give me an email if you have any specific questions and I will see what I can find - its always easier tracking something down if you know a bit more than just the name.

Cheers

Pinkkipper

Offline Jackiee

The Lake District?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 21:32:06 »
Hi Heather,
We have stayed at Craigendarroch but in the hotel, not timeshare.  The place is lovely with chalet type luxury dwellings of various sizes as well as hotel rooms.  There's a large indoor pool with saunas etc.  It also has a dry skislope if you feel so inclined!  There's some good walking round about.  I can't remember the name of the fairly steep hill at the back/side of the resort but there are great views form the top.

It's on the edge of Ballater and a few miles from Braemar.  Balmoral Castle is close with Crathie Kirk worth a look.  It's where the Royal Family worship when 'in residence'.  The kirk is on the main road.
Jackie
Jackie

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 23:11:56 »
Thanks again to Jackie and Pinkkipper,

Because of people like both of you, my three week trip is shaping up. I'm even going to have the honour of meeting Jackie at Kilconquhar. Without the invaluable information from this site many of our side trips wouldn't be happening.

The main gap on my plans is the week in Ballater so I will request info. in a new topic.

Jackie, Craigendarroch sounds lovely, but I won't be climbing any steep hills or skiing, even if the resulting thrill would be priceless.

Pinkkipper, We are now booked for the Yorkshire Dales with Mountain Goat, thanks to your suggestion.

Keitht

The Lake District?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 14:28:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by heather

I won't be climbing any steep hills..., even if the resulting thrill would be priceless.

Jackie,

What do you mean you won't be climbing any steep hills??  I thought all Canadians were hardy outdoor types.  We went to the Oh Canada! show in Canmore so know it to be true.  [:D]

The hills and mountains of the UK are but pimples compared to the Rockies.

Offline Jackiee

The Lake District?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 16:39:50 »
Keith,
You're getting us confused, quite understandably.  I'm in Scotland but probably won't be climbing that hill to the back/side, as I so nicely put it, of Craigendarroch again either.  As you so rightly said though, it's a mere dot on the landscape compared to what Heather will be used to seeing...........if not climbing!
Jackie
[;)]
Jackie

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 03:11:31 »
Hello Keith,

What the heck is the Oh canada show and why did they lie to you? Our mountains are indeed high but even the thought of climbing them would throw most of us into cardiac arrest. We pride ourselves on being overall more fit than the US but that isn't saying much!

You're correct Jackie. I'm used to seeing, but don't ask me to climb!!!!

Keitht

The Lake District?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 08:43:25 »
Apologies to Heather and Jackiee for getting you mixed up like that.

Oh Canada! is a sort of comedy musical review that claims to show the true Canada.  Very much tongue in cheek but with lumberjacks, singing mounties etc.  [:)]

About as true to life as the highland dance shows put on in Scotland for the tourists but great fun.

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 13:37:44 »
Keith,

Sorry to belabour the point, but I don't think I'm confused, Jackie says she is and you apologize to both of us for confusing us. We arrive in Scotland in ten days and I can just see us happily wandering around confused, at not knowing it, since I obviously am missing something in this converstaion with two people from the UK. And I had a pretty good idea of what the Oh Canada show was about. Were the Mounties in full dress guarding the local supermarkets and did the lumberjacks fell the tries to fire up our only source of heat, ie. our wood stoves? And......are you telling me that I won't be seeing the populace in kilts  going about ther business on the streets in Edinburgh? [;)][;)]

Keitht

The Lake District?
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 21:25:03 »
Heather,

If you're not confused yet we obviously aren't trying hard enough[:D]

I think the confusion arose because I responded with a quote from you but put Jackies name in the reply.  I can only put it down to senility and too much red wine.  
You won't see many people in kilts in Edinburgh at this time of the year because it's the start of the haggis hunting season.  The kilt has to be worn on haggis hunts as the haggis is a protected species and can only be legally hunted by true highlanders, hence the kilt.
Be careful if you are in the walking in the countryside as the little buggers can be vicious at this time of the year - haggis that is, not highlanders.

Enjoy your trip.

Vivienne

The Lake District?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 15:28:01 »
This website gives details of a couple of walks you should be able to do OK.  One is a very short one but goes up to Orrest Head where there are lovely views of Lake Windermere, and I can certainly recommend doing that. http://www.lakeswalks.co.uk/  There is also a walk from Ambleside - you can catch the Ferry from Bowness to Ambleside, and I am sure there will also be a bus.

From this website you can download a leaflet which gives details of walks in the Lake District using Public Transport. http://www.golakes.co.uk/info/transport_10.htm

There is a very nice shop called Lakeland Ltd behind Windermere Railway Station which is worth a visit with lots of kitchen gadgets, some food items and a nice selection of craft items. Might not sound very interesting from that description but I always enjoy a browse round as it is a very popular company in England which started from very small beginnings over 40 years ago selling plastic bags for the freezer by mail order and now has shops around the country stocking a tremendous amount of items.

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 22:53:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Keitht

Heather,

If you're not confused yet we obviously aren't trying hard enough[:D]

Just try a little harder and you will succeed. In preparation for my trip I spent the afternoon researching William Wordsworth, Beatrix Potter and a host of Scottish historical figures as well. So I'm very close to the edge. Just a lttle more effort on your part and I will fall into a very deep abyss of confusion!

Now, William Wordsworth wrote The Tales of Peter Rabbit, right? [?][?]

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 22:58:09 »
Vivienne,

I will download the leaflet. Thanks a bunch for this.

Keitht

The Lake District?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 23:01:39 »
There is a lovely circular walk from Ambleside to Grasmere.  Part is alongside the main road but then turns off around the lake.  Total distance is about 7 miles, but time it right for the pub's opening and you can pass a very enjoyable couple of hours in Grasmere to break the walk.
Members of the Wordsworth family are buried in the local church.

Mavo

The Lake District?
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 23:12:34 »
The Wordsworth Family did not "wander" all that far then.!!

I did also like the "Thanks a Bunch" comment Heather.

Offline Jackiee

The Lake District?
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 12:03:16 »
Mavo,

That's what I like...not quite back to the serious stuff yet!  

It's great how this site can be so informative with that little bit ( quite a big bit sometimes) of humour added in.  [^]
Jackie

Offline heather

The Lake District?
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 13:59:51 »
Mavo, you are quite the Wordsworth scholar! Or do you find him as tedious as I do and like to make fun of him? I almost failed the course on the Romantic poets at University and now I remember why.

And Keith, any walk where I can break the trek with pub variety refreshment is great with me. I drink mostly white wine here but really shoudn't go to the UK and drink wine. What local treat do you suggest for wine drinkers? I'm not a beer drinker at all based on what is available here.

Keitht

The Lake District?
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 18:26:10 »
Heather,

My wife normally takes her wine via intravenous drip so that she doesn't have to stop for air.  She discovered the wonders of real ale for the first time when we were in the Lake District a few years ago and now I daren't put my pint down if she is within range!!.  Real ales are nothing like the fizzy yuk served in many bars but have proper and distinct flavours.  They vary from nutty, to caramel to spicey and many others.  I would suggest trying 1/2 pint of one of the stronger ales as they do have, in my opinion at least, more flavour.
They are served either at room temperature or just slightly chilled so may take a little getting used to.  Persevere - it's worth the effort.
Good wines are now available in many pubs in the UK but it is still rather hit and miss as to quality.  Ask to see what they have before ordering - avoid European wines in pubs, but any New World stuff will be quite safe.
The other thing worth trying is proper Farmhouse Cider, again not the mass produced fizzy stuff like Strongbow.  'Proper' cider is flat but be warned it can go down easy and then head straight for the knees.