Won a holiday with Regency Resorts - advice please

« on: June 29, 2006, 20:41:23 »
Hi,

I have just come across this forum and am hoping you might be able to help me and give me some advice!!

I was phoned from Tenerife (a company called First Tenerife) to say that I have won a competition I had entered, and have won a weeks holiday with Regency Resorts. I just have to pay for the flights and a £99 admin fee, then we get a weeks paid accomodation at a Regency Resort for whatever week we choose within the next 12 months. The only thing is we have to agree to be shown around their new resort that is currently being completed, which I'm pretty sure they said was the Regency Country Club. They said it will take a couple of hours.

We were a bit concerned about this with some of the bad press there is about this kind of timeshare thing and how they give you the hard sell or loads of grief if you don't agree to buy at the presentation.

However they are adamant that this won't happen and it's purely a promotional holiday to get people to see their new resort and no-one will try to sell us anything we don't want. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing and whether Regency does this type of promotional holiday??

We are concerned as we have a 15 month old baby and don't want to get into anything dodgy or get stuck anywhere with him. They are saying that we'll be given a chance to give a preference of which Regency Resort we want to stay at, are there any that aren't nice that they are likely to dump us in??

I hope you can help as they are calling back again over the week-end to see what we've decided.

Thanks in advance,

cled63

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 20:48:36 »
Jason,

Over to you .... ?

justbrowsing

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 21:12:26 »
Don't know if Jason will agree but the balance of benefits versus the likely misery would result in me running a mile.

Sure, you might get a cheap holiday but be very prepared to be mucked about in terms of when that happens.

People attending similar things in this country often end up with no holiday at all and I've no reason to blelieve that the same is not true with this one.

My Advice: Do yourselves a favour and save some more money for a holiday over which you will have control.

Billyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 22:29:54 »
I assume this is a FLY-Buy.

As a result of a holiday on good terms, you will attend a presentation.

Fair enough.

What do they want??????

They want you to buy.  What could be simpler.

Do you want to buy?

Can you be persuaded?

Free chesse is usually found in a mousetrap.

Try and find out how much the weeks in the resort are selling on the re-sale market. It can happen that they will be selling for 50% less than the developers price.

Some folk take these fly buys and leave their credit cards at home. They do it on a regular basis.

Can you say NO,

Regards,

Billyboy.

Offline jasonclements

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 23:01:03 »
Hi Cled63,

I think the replies so far cover most of the angles.

You will attend a presentation, and you will be gently persuaded to part with your cash for weeks at the resort, and you can more or less guarantee it's the regency country club they are selling.

As has already been stated, there are plus and minus points to deciding whether you want to go on what will be a cheap holiday.
You will lose most of one day because the presentations do drag on, mainly as the sales people try to wear you down. [:)]

If you do fancy the week in the sun, minus 1 day then I would see what they offer you, if it's the country club itself then go for it, if it's the regency club torviscas, again it's a nice place, even the albatros you could stomach for a week.  However Regency Resorts do own some time in other less attractive resorts, and if you end up in one of those you might not have such a pleasant week.

The most important thing already said is Can you Say NO, if you can then you could well enjoy a decent weeks holiday in the sun.

If you do attend the presentation don't get carried away by the web of wonder spun by the sales people, when the offer is on the table, take a step back and have a really good think about it.

Remember it's capital outlay for the weeks, plus maintenance, plus flights to get to your holiday, it's a good option, but it's not always the best option for people.

I attended a fly buy to purchase at the regency, we stayed in a nice apartment which appeared to be at the end of a runway. I would have sold my soul to get out of their before the end of the week.  I would never attend another fly buy personally, but people do, and obviously I did.

If you do decide to take up their offer then let us know how you get on with them.

jason

mab

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 06:55:14 »
Read all other posts on Jason's RCC columns and weigh it up. then if you can tough it out. or if you like the place and can afford it go for it or check out second hand market.

The presentations do indeed go on for ever, you may be taken to breakfast, or even go-carting (as we were once - great). they soften you up and then bring in the boss-man to clinch the deal, it may be a 'just for today' deal, but I truly believe that they would be more than happy to sell at another date at the same price. It is a great resort but still a long way from completion. If you are not too gullible it may be worth a punt, it will certainly be an experience!

Billyboy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 12:16:59 »
Dear Cled63,

Re your query re fly/bye.

I just checked on the site of Worldwide Timewshare Hypermarket. I found one week only for re-sale at "The Regency Country Club"

Week 2, 1 bed sleeps 4, £3,000-00.

It is estimated that it costs 50% of the price of new timeshare, to sell. In other words, it can happen that if you pay the asking price, that the re-sale price will drop by 50% in the first 24 hours.

I have read of folk who have gone on several FLY/BYES. They treat them as a free holiday and have a good laugh at the marketeers.They would find out, precisely how long the presentation is expected to last. If they are told 2 hours, on the dot after 2 hours, they stand up and leave.

Full stop.

It isnt everyone who can manage this,

Can you do that,

Regards,

Billyboy.

Billyboy

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 12:33:45 »
I am like a bad penny, I keep turning up.

Aberfoyleholidays-have the following for re-sale.

The Regency Country Club.

Week 22-2 bed-£9,500-00.
Week 44-1 bed-£5,999-00.

Computerlink-have the following, same resort.

Week 33-1 bed-£3,400-00.
Week 23-1 bed-£2,400-00.
Week 24-1 bed-£1,900-00.

They have them listed for sale-I am only assume they are available,

I went to a presenation, years ago and the nice gentleman wanted £8,750-00 for a 1 bed for 1 week.

I found similar, at the same resort, on the internet for £1,500-00.

I am gone for ever,

Good look,

Billyboy.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 20:46:46 »
Personally I would avoid these trips - once you are there you are trapped (not my idea of a holiday)

C

HelenM

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 22:18:48 »
Hi, yes I can vouch one of resales is genuine at Aberfoyle its me.  I am asking half of what I paid for it so resale is the way to go when you get back from the fly buy.

Billyboy

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 22:45:46 »
Helen,

Thank you for coming in with that information. Very good of you.

I own 10 weeks timeshare and I bought them all, re-sale.

Perhaps you might tell the readers of your experience!!!!!!!!

Were you a fly buy?

When did you realise that your purchase didn't suit you?

What made you change your mind?

Have you stayed at the resort? Why did you buy? Was there much pressure? Did you feel you were mislead?

Why are you selling now? I assume you purchased recently,

What makes you think you have made a bad buy?

Regards and best wishes,

Billyboy.

HelenM

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 22:40:08 »
Hi happy to help,

went out after going to an MVI presentation some of you may know them(scammers), went just for a holiday and ended up being impressed by Regency at Torviscas and when I saw the Country Club was very impressed, I had never dealt with timeshare before so didn,t know much about prices, I actually enjoyed the day of the presentation a girl called Karen took us and was very nice to us and didn,t actually give a lot of pressure, I think I had aspirations above my lifestyle and thought we could afford it but on coming home I took too long to find about finance and missed the cooling off period.  I actually bought in 2003 and as with the rest of you was promised it would be finished in 2004, ha ha.  We were also told the maintenace would not rise that much,

I have been out at the beginning of June and loved it but i,m still not sure about keeping it.  If I had known about resale prices I would have cancelled and bought when I got home.

I,m a librian you can talk me into anything, always see the other side.  So if I get an offer I might sell but if not I have alovely resort to go to.

Billyboy

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 23:02:05 »
An honest reply.

May the sun shine for you,

Regards,

Billyboy.